IGNORED

RT crush washers

LDHack

R1150RT: Looking at Trans. parts fische there is a crush washer shown for the filler, but none for the drain plug. Is this the case?

Same site, there's a crush washer on both the filler and drain on the final drive. Of course, there is also one on the engine drain plug.

Reason I ask, I'm missing several crush washers, and need to install them on the next oil change. Who knows how/when they vanished. No leaks, so I'm good in that department.

there is a crush washer on the drain, when I went to the dealer it seems that there are only 2 sizes used for all the plugs.

Sizes have varied a bit over the years, but most often:

14mm crush washers for final drive drain & fill

18mm crush washers for tranny drain & fill

16mm crush washer for engine oil drain

I have seen 14mm tranny drain plugs though.

Buy four of each which will probably allow you to perform two full services, and then make a note in your service log how many of each you actually need for all future services. Assuming that you do end up performing that second service, no wasted parts.

Clive Liddell

I think the original post was re "no crush washer" on the gearbox drain.

Somewhere after around 1997-8 the gearbox drain plug does not take a crush washer. The plug sealing face has a couple of raised concentric ridges which seal against the gearbox (at the correct torque?)

I tried to be clever and put on a crush washer, ha ha, it weeped a bit wheras the plug alone stays dry!!

I can verify what Clive said, in that there is NO crush washer on the R1100RT for the trans drain. The OP wanted to know about a R1150RT however. I just called up the local BMW dealer and they said

NO crush washer on the R1150RT's. I asked "Not even on the later years like 2004 and 2005? He said his parts database showed none.

You may want to call your local dealer yourself to verify for peace of mind.

NO crush washer on the R1150RT's. I asked "Not even on the later years like 2004 and 2005? He said his parts database showed none.

You may want to call your local dealer yourself to verify for peace of mind.

Well, that's interesting. I'm not going to worry too much. I'll be around a BMW dealer in a couple months, and will follow up then. I don't even remember what plugs in fact have a crush washer, besides the engine drain. Since nothing leaks, I'm not going to worry.

Mike, the BMW parts manual is kind of confusing on the BMW 1150RT trans..

There are actually (2) drain plugs on the 1150trans.. The one that everybody sees & uses is the one on the lower side just under the fill plug (shown in picture)..

There is another drain plug (it’s magnetic by the way) up under the bottom of the trans belly.. It’s difficult to get to as the catalytic converter covers that area.. I believe that drain plug is 26mm.. I also believe that one has a built in/on gasket ring..

The plugs on the side of the trans I believe are the same plug so use the same size crush washer..

I never replace the crush washers (I re-use them) so am not much help with their availability or pricing..

1150Transplugs-1.jpg

Twisty

You can also buy your oil filter from Chicago BMW and they throw in a packet of crush washers -- all of them. :thumbsup:

So does Morton's in Fredericksburg, VA. I am not sure if they just throw them in or if I pay for them, but they do come with the filters if you ask for the kit. :thumbsup:

I changed the oils in all three holes last night, on my 04 R1150RT, and all 5 plugs had a crush washer.

Of course, I always reuse them.

Archived