IGNORED

Hyper-Lites and Battery Chargers

Jon_M

These two threads had to converge.

I just completed the installation of the 16-LED version of the Hyper-Lite dual-function tail light kit on my R12RT. Everything went according to plan and they work just as I expected. They are REALLY bright, brighter, in fact, than the stock lights. I used the Hyper-Lite $7.50 license plate bracket for the mounting points, which gives me good separation from the stock lights and creates a nice triangle effect. So far, so good.

But here is the complication. The instructions for the dual-function kit call for tapping into the hot wire for the rear accessory socket. Now when I turn the key off, the tail light part of the auxiliary kit, not the flashing brake lights, continues to be illuminated for 45 seconds or so, just like the hazard warning light, then it goes out. No problem. However, if I plug in my genuine, officially approved, BMW-labeled, hundred-dollar-plus battery charger, the LED lights just stay on. I watched them for five minutes and they were still on.

To those of you who understand the electrics on this bike, did I shoot myself in the foot? Am I not going to be able to use the battery charger through the front accessory port? Or did I hook something up wrong? I count myself one of the electrically challenged and any information/advice will be appreciated!

To those of you who understand the electrics on this bike, did I shoot myself in the foot?

Yes. smile.gif

The charger will keep that outlet hot for as long as it's charging the battery.

One option is to put a switch to the hyperlights, and just open the circuit when you want to charge the bike.

Another option is to use a normal charger, hooked directly to the battery.

The charger will keep that outlet hot for as long as it's charging the battery.

One option is to put a switch to the hyperlights, and just open the circuit when you want to charge the bike.

Another option is to use a normal charger, hooked directly to the battery.

Thanks. What you say makes sense and confirms what I feared. After sorting through the battery-charger dispute and investing in the dedicated charger, I am reluctant to give that up. Putting a switch in the auxiliary tail light seems the best way to go.

But: Is the drain caused by the tail light LEDs sufficient to keep the battery from ever reaching a full charge? In other words, can the charger "get ahead" of that drain so that the accessory circuit is switched off, and the tail lights along with it?

See, I told you I was electrically challenged.

But: Is the drain caused by the tail light LEDs sufficient to keep the battery from ever reaching a full charge? In other words, can the charger "get ahead" of that drain so that the accessory circuit is switched off, and the tail lights along with it?

Yes. LED's pull nothing, so to speak. Of course they'll come back on when the charger detects a voltage drop, sufficient to say "charge me again." Though even that seems to be sporadic.

They should never have suggested taping into that wire for that function. The headlight circuit would have been better.

They should never have suggested taping into that wire for that function. The headlight circuit would have been better.

I expect it's because it's handy. The kits are designed for easy installation and that "extra" accessory wire is right there under the rear seat.

LED's pull nothing, so to speak.

It's bad to round down to zero. tongue.gif

I agree, it's an issue. The tail-light might be a good choice too.

From what work I have done on my 1200RT, I think the front and rear accy. sockets are separate outputs on the ZFE controller.

Have you tried plugging the charger into the front accy. socket?

Please try this and let us know what happens.

Maybe just plugging the charger into the front socket will solve your trouble?? Then you can leave the dual mode Hyper Lights wired as you have them now and just remember to charge through the front socket.

It's working as described, but I don't know if I'd go to a lot of trouble to change it. Think of the Hyper-lights as a "in process" charging indicator!

Here's a thought.

It came up in another thread about charging that one couldn't use the accessory socket to trickle charge a battery, as the socket would shut down once the battery was charged.

It may be that with the Hyperlites in place, either the socket won't shut down, or more likely, may re-activate once in a while. That way your battery stays charged.

If so, it's not a bug, it's a feature! cool.gif

Think of the Hyper-lights as a "in process" charging indicator!

Not a good one. The BMW charger does not float the battery. Instead it shuts off, waits, then charges it again. I'm not sure how it determines to charge again, when I borrowed DCB's charger I NEVER saw it do that (one of the reasons I didn't buy one). He did check and it does. Time or voltage? Not sure. If it's voltage, then the charger will be cycling more often. If it's time then the battery will discharge more each cycle.

What strikes me as really weird here is for all the anal discussion over "which trickle charger", talking about 1/10ths of a volt differences. The charger for AGM, the charger for gel, is this charger right for that battery...

One decides on the BMW charger since it's "designed for the bike". Yet a 100mA or more load on the setup when charging is in some way OK? Um, NO!

If you must use the accessory socket as a source of switched power, and it is a good one. Then either disconnect your accessories during storage/charging. OR connect the charger directly to the battery.

Have you tried plugging the charger into the front accy. socket?

Please try this and let us know what happens.

Yes, I did plug the charger into the front socket. It was in that configuration when I first noted that the tail lights LEDs were staying on.

On the assumption that the charger will overcome the minimal drain caused by the LEDs, I plugged the charger in at 11:30 this morning and now, at 3:45, it indicates that it has gone up to 2/3 charge. In another hour or so, it should top up and the LEDs *should* go out. My guess is that they won't come back on until the battery sags enough to make the charger engage again. This is a minor irritant, but not the end of the world.

I am also waiting for a call-back from a technician at Hyper-Lites. This is obviously a glitch they did not anticipate.

I expect that, in the end, I will (as suggested earlier) just install a switch in the wire that serves the LED tail lights, then just turn them off altogether when I want to plug in the charger.

Those of you who are tracking this thread will be interested in the reply I got from Ron Watkins:

Jon:

Not to worry. Your Hyper-Lites can coexist with the BMW charger with no ill effects. They draw so little current that your charger won`t even know they are there. The LEDs will eventually burn out. They are rated for 50% intensity aftrer 100000 hours. If you are going to ride A LOT that may be an issue. Otherwise the lights should outlast your bike.

A better story would be that we anticipated this situation and built in a battery charger on indicator. It would be a bald faced lie, but a better story.

You did nothing wrong. Relax. Do what I did and walk out the door for the weekend (I'm emailing you from the lob by of the Day's Inn in Petosky, MI. where I wound up at the end of the day. Will be terrorizing the U.P. on the DL1000 tomorrow.

Ride Safe,

Ron Watkins

Hyper-Lite

Your Hyper-Lites can coexist with the BMW charger with no ill effects. They draw so little current that your charger won`t even know they are there.

Float charging a lead acid battery uses VERY little current. And as much as people like to brag that LEDs use very little current...they DO draw current.

But hey, whatever. $150 "special" charger, parasitic load...sure sure. smile.gif

Final word for now: The charger did in fact get ahead of the "drain" caused by the LEDs, and they are no longer lit up. When the charger is triggered to switch back on, those lights will no doubt come on again, and go out when the battery is topped up. I can live with this for now, and will install a switch eventually to give me more control.

A better story would be that we anticipated this situation and built in a battery charger on indicator. It would be a bald faced lie, but a better story.
Oh that's just too funny. I was half-way being a smart ars when I posted the same idea!

Archived