IGNORED

To Bob or not to Bob...that is the question????

BULLman

So, as many of you know, I'm the new owner of an '81 Suzuki GS850G.

I've been searching on the internet and U-tube for pictures and videos of a Rat Rod/Bobber GS and other standards - it got me to thinking...

The biggest reason NOT TO, is that is will probably kill my friend you I traded the bike with, even though its MY bike now. Plus, I have no $$$ or skills to do such a project. Plus, once I start cutting on it - it won't go back.

What say you?

Before

1979_GS850GN_blue_800.jpg

What it could look like....

3454262238_ee6998bf95_o.jpg3454262206_8c391839b1_o.jpg3454261970_a8fcc6b591_o.jpg

GS RAT Rod bike

Paul Mihalka

I personally like a old bike best when it is in nice shape but close to original stock, may be with some time period accessories, like windshields, fairings, bags.

Dunno, but it looks like a choice between a bike that won't stop:

3454262238_ee6998bf95_o.jpg

and a bike on which you can't sit:

3454261970_a8fcc6b591_o.jpg

and one which has neither of these little inconveniences:

3454262206_8c391839b1_o.jpg

I agree. It looks great just as it is, and if you Bob it, then there will be one less original one available for the next generation. Also, those modified bikes don't look very comfortable to me.

OTOH, it is your bike, and there is no moral compunction not to do with it as you wish.

Jay

I agree. It looks great just as it is...

1979_GS850GN_blue_800.jpg

Of, course this is what it looked like when brand spanking new. It's in good shape, but not great shape. Main thing, is that it isn't running yet.

It wouldn't be for touring (don't have the $$$ for it) Its not for the track (don't have the $$$ for it) Its for Sunday rides.

Yes, it will have a seat. Maybe this one

828f_1.JPG

The plastic tail feature is calling for me to chop it off. I guess I like the L version better - the one with the little fairing.

I really like the bike from the video - MADkaw

P_THAW07s.jpg

Everything, but the straight pipes.

P_THAW07s.jpg

That bike would make Jesse James throw up!

And I think I even did a little in my mouth. :P

I like his front brake, must be some new style.

Calvin  (no socks)

Cut it...

done it before with no regrets.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... and you "beholden" the title. :grin:

Dave in Doodah

You already had a project in mind when you got the bike... so go for it!!

But, if you ask a bunch of old farts who get misty-eyed thinking of our old rides, many of us will say, "keep her stock." That is kinda satisfying, too.

Do what feels good.

Bill_Walker

Well, if it were MY bike (which it ain't, so it's no business of mine, but you asked), I'd either keep stock or I'd cafe it. Looks like you've already got the seat for that. Add some low bars, maybe a little bikini fairing like the one bike you pictured, some rearsets, etc. Pretty cool bike, and entirely reversible if you someday want to go back to stock (or want to sell it to someone who does). Though I doubt any shaft-drive bike ever did the ton on the north circular road from the Ace Cafe. ;)

Hmm, here's one in progress:

2647326527_4f3e94394a.jpg

Cart before the horse.

1. Get it running.

2. When it is running, determine what it needs to run well.

3. After it is running well for a while, ride it.

4. After riding it for a while, then consider changes.

5. Look at wallet, look at good running bike...

6. ?

+1 with what Tim posted.

Ride the bike a bit, and then think about what the ride will be like modded considering the GS's handling. If I'm remembering correctly, that bike is top heavy, and that may be something to consider.

+1 with what Tim posted.

Ride the bike a bit, and then think about what the ride will be like modded considering the GS's handling. If I'm remembering correctly, that bike is top heavy, and that may be something to consider.

+2. You won't know what you want (And what the bike wants to be) until you ride it for a while. Nice bike to start with.

Cart before the horse.

1. Get it running.

2. When it is running, determine what it needs to run well.

3. After it is running well for a while, ride it.

4. After riding it for a while, then consider changes.

5. Look at wallet, look at good running bike...

6. ?

What fun is that?

My own photoshop pic

3456400320_d470e8e923_o.jpg

Cafe it! A nice 1/4 fairing off Ebay for around 50, and a bummstop seat, with a pair of Daytona or some other near flat bars, and a 4to1 pipe and some jets to finish the job. A few of my old crew in the OC had similar bikes, mainly 750 and 1000's that were chain driven but the style is the same.

Here is a picture of the little bobber I built last year for running errands in town:

hd.jpg

IMHO, the best bike for bobbing are late 30's Indian Scouts:

100_1_0019_019-468x298.jpg

Now you're changing the rules.

Fun?

:grin:

There are many directions you can go depending on what you want to do with it.

But, some of those limit future options, some don't.

Keep us posted as you start w/the mods.

Best wishes.

Nothing against bobbers and I love cafe racers but this bike is wrong on so many levels.

P_THAW07s.jpg

Notice the trophy.... do you see any other bikes in the picture. :P

It's the "Ugliest Bike With Invisible Front Brake" trophy. Notice he's not smiling, he must be ashamed. I would hate to be riding it when someone pulled out in front of you. No brakee, no stoppee...

It's the "Ugliest Bike With Invisible Front Brake" trophy.

Plus bonus points for Invisible Turn Signals and Invisible Muffler.

Here's just another opinion: Leave it stock and see how much you enjoy the responses of the people who will walk up to you and the bike.

When I had my '73 Yamaha 650, people were always telling me how that was the bike that they had lusted over. I got to hear stories from the former teenage boys that would sit on them every time they went to the motorcycle dealer's and dream of having the money to buy one. There were stories about so-and-so who had one and it was a chick magnet and it went faster, handled better, and never left him stranded.

To me, that's the kind of bike that you have there--someone's adolesent dream on two wheels. So, if you leave it stock, stangers will come up and thank you for their trip down memory lane.

Ok BULLman...I have been holding off on posting a reply to you because my answer would be too apparent.....

Leave it STOCK....Restore it to it's former glory....As mentioned by Quinn and others there is a since of historical pride in owning a motorcycle that represents a bygone era. Yes... you can bob, it chop it, or do anything you want with it but if you do it looses it's historical identity and the WOW factor original engineers of the motorcycle wanted you to have when you first saw it.

As you know I restore older motorcycles....WHY?....I get (I feel I do) the same feeling of pride when I am finished with the bike as the people who originally engineered the bike through you folks on this board who have expressed thier appreciation of what I have accomplished and the memories that have been revived by seeing the bike again as they remembered it.

History can be relived all over again...

Every time I see a new Triumph Bonneville, the first thought in my mind is "now that's what a motorcycle is supposed to look like." It probably says more about my age than anything else. That's the look that got imprinted on me. I'm sure others feel that way about Harleys, Moto-Guzzis, or BMWs. For me, the UJM style was the real motorcycle and all the cafe racers, cruisers, bobs, etc. were brought about by selective breeding from this root stock. Kinda like all dogs started off as wolves and then got bred into dashounds, St. Bernards, peekabos, bulldogs, etc.

I can appreciate crotch rockets, cruisers, and massive tourers, but it's the UJMs that get a viceral response. My left hand starts gripping an imaginary clutch while my right wants to twist the throttle. My eyes start tracing out the cables and exhaust headers. The only changes that would make it a complete picture for me would be a short sissy bar on the back and some ducttape on the seat.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, lack of money and lack of skill rise above whether or not to bob.

I need to get the bike on its feet - before I do anything. I did receive my switch gear, but still need some help installing it along with some ground issues.

• 4 weeks later...
:lurk:

Well... after some thought, and no luck fixing it, I've sold the bike to Knifemaker, who just left to head back to J-ville.

It'll go to a better home than I can provide. Hopefully, he'll add his magic touch to it so everyone can enjoy it at next year's Riding into History.

In the words of the orginal owner who couldn't fix it either...."Good Luck!!!"

Matts_12GS

Hey Bill,

give me a ring, I have some 850 valve shims, a shim replacement tool and some other Suzi-Q parts/tools.

Dan,

Are you looking?

I might know of a low (27K) mileage '96 RT w/good tires and recent service.

Well... after some thought, and no luck fixing it, I've sold the bike to Knifemaker, who just left to head back to J-ville.

It'll go to a better home than I can provide. Hopefully, he'll add his magic touch to it so everyone can enjoy it at next year's Riding into History.

Thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup:

On the other hand, sorry it didn't work out for ya. :P

Thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup:

On the other hand, sorry it didn't work out for ya. :P

Bill sent me a pm that after 3hrs he's got the bike running. Head/tail lights still aren't working, fork seals need to be replaced and it needs some carb work. He should have it in tip top shape by tomorrow :rofl:

Good for him :thumbsup:

Clearly from what I saw of the BS job at RIH, he's a hack. Sorry it didn't go to a better home.

:rofl:

Love ya, Bill. Owe ya lunch. :wave:

Knifemaker

Just noticed this thread....

Matt... I'll give you a call...

Danny!!!! Where's the love??????

Bike update....All electricals are now wired and working fine...Forks did not need seal replacement there was no air in them added 12 pounds of air any they work fine. Small oil leak in the left case took the case apart..bad case gasket got some gasket material and re-cut gasket..no leak in left side case...Oil leak at the tach sending unit...bad o-ring replaced o-ring no oil leak...The intake boots to the carbs need to be replaced causing a slight sucking of air on initial acceleration.. boots and o-rings on order...Speedo not working new sending unit at front wheel.. on order...

None of the slight above problems have kept the bike off the streets and the bike now has a new and legal tag on it.... Once the above problems have been fixed the bike is off to Gainesville to Cody my son so I can get his K75S back to my shop for some much needed repairs....

Archived