IGNORED

High Mileage concerns

vthoppy

I'm relatively new to the Beemer world; have had a K75S for less than a year! I'm looking at a 1996 K1000RT that appears to be in excellent shape and well maintained, but it has 96,000 miles. What should I be concerned about with this kind of mileage. I intend to put 2-3k a year on it.

Thanks for any guidance and advice.

Without trying to hi jack your thread I too have a related mileage question. This is a good example of an older BMW with high mileage which seems very common. I wonder if I can expect my 05 RT to have the longevity of the older models such as yours.

I'm relatively new to the Beemer world; have had a K75S for less than a year! I'm looking at a 1996 K1000RT that appears to be in excellent shape and well maintained, but it has 96,000 miles. What should I be concerned about with this kind of mileage. I intend to put 2-3k a year on it.

Thanks for any guidance and advice.

I personally wouldn't have any problem with your situation. If the bike is mechanically sound (not always the same as well maintained) the mileage you intend to put on per year should gives you years of enjoyment.

I bought a 99 RT 14 months ago with 64,000 miles on it, despite warnings from several people (including two BMW owners) about a "high mileage" bike. It had complete service records (including HES sensor replacement at 58,000 miles). Not a hint of problems in 9000 miles since then.

If the bike has complete service records, that is good, but if you can take it to a BMW dealer or competent independent mechanic for a thorough vetting (including transmission and FD oil inspection/change) before purchase, it would be a prudent investment. The only worry I would have is that the transmission was redesigned after the 1996 models.

1996 K1000RT

K100RT would be an '86.

K100's did have a service interval on spline lubes. If you can get a service history and you like the bike , buy it.

Motor is rock solid.

Will be a little buzzier than your K75.

How much?

Archived