IGNORED

Nolan 103N helmet help

RoadJunkie

I'm considering a Nolan 103N helmet and wonder if anyone has used the multimedia wire option to connect directly to a Autocomm 7-pin connector. I'm not even sure if the option for Autocomm exists. I'll try here before I call Nolan. Thanks.

John Bentall

Please clarify what sort of a set-up you are trying to achieve with your Autocom.

It would be true that the Noise Cancelling system on the Autocom will only work with an Autocom headset (and any Autocom warranty would be voided if linked to another headset).

I have the helmet, but use Baehr comms in mine. One thing that you do need to keep an eye on are the hex screws that hold the face and chin bar in place. I don't know when or where it happened to me but I have lost 2 of them today. Keep the proper size hex key with you and check them often.

Thanks for the heads-up on the hex screws. I'll watch for this issue.

I really don't care about warranty on the Autocomm, but I was hoping there was an existing umbilical that would connect the 103N directly to the 7-pin connector used by Autocomm. I may be better off with the EXO 1000 and the Autocomm headset kit?

I have the helmet, but use Baehr comms in mine. One thing that you do need to keep an eye on are the hex screws that hold the face and chin bar in place. I don't know when or where it happened to me but I have lost 2 of them today. Keep the proper size hex key with you and check them often.
John Bentall

I really don't care about warranty on the Autocomm, but I was hoping there was an existing umbilical that would connect the 103N directly to the 7-pin connector used by Autocomm. I may be better off with the EXO 1000 and the Autocomm headset kit?

[

Sorry, still don't get it. What is wrong with an ordinary Nolan N103 without any of the optional n-Com hardware plus an Autocom headset?

That will work too! But the integrated system--designed to fit the helmet without modification--is one feature of the helmet, in my opinion. Guess I'll call the factory. Thanks for the input.

There is a german online store ( www.pmr446.de) which sells cables to connect the N-Com to a number of intercoms, notably the Baehr system with the 5 pin din connector.

No autocom available there, although I could enquire.

You could try to make your own cable, if you feel up to it. I have the pinouts for the autocom and for the Ncom, pm me if you want them.

HTH, Daniel

Thanks, Daniel. I'll take it from here. Making a cable is no problem...guess I'm just going through a lazy streak. Thanks for your help.

John Bentall

It would be true that the Noise Cancelling system on the Autocom will only work with an Autocom headset

Unlike all other domestic-standard motorcycle system on the market that all use dynamic microphones, the Autocom uses an electret microphone. That is why the Autocom noise cancelling is so good ... that is why is is not fully compatible with other types of microphone.

I hope this helps!?

I did not know about the mic! The Scorp helmet is looking better and better since I don't want to ditch my Autocomm. Thanks for the information.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all! Here's a slightly different problem. I just purchased the Nolan N-103 with N-Com system, plus multimedia wire, and BlueTooth. Also, I own an R1200RT with radio and on-board computer. My goal is to be able to play radio and music from the radio/CD direct to the N-Com speakers in my helmet.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can do this? If anyone has an idea, please let me know. I LOVE pictures and diagrams too! Thanks everyone!

Are you looking to send the signal via bluetooth?

or are you considering a cable?

I just made a bike to bike cable kit for my N102 with Ncom. I found using a original wire and making a plug on the other end the easiest way to get a reliable connection.

Regards, Daniël

John Bentall

How about .....

1) Purchasing one of the Autocom or Starcom adaptor cables that normally outputs music from the radio/cd into their own systems.

2) Using that signal as input into a bluetooth generator to broadcast music to the helmet.

My first choice would be to use BlueTooth for everything but I don't know how to get the on-board radio/CD output into BlueTooth. If I can't figure that out then step 2 is to go with the bike to bike cable solution. You have any more info on how to set that up. Any info you can share would be Really be appreciated. Thanks!

John, I like this idea. I'll talk to the Nolan folks to see if they have any idea on how to help me do this. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
Hank Terrebrood

What was your result? I have a Nolan N103 which I modified to accept the Autocom headphones (I had to cut into the polystyrene to enlarge the speaker recepticle holes) and used the microphone mounting screw with a bigger washer to hold the Autocom boom microphone.

I don't know if the Nolan equipment is of the same quality or if it is worth making an adapter plug from 'multimedia' to Autocom loom connection. The Nolan helmet requires a battery for the VOX activation.

As I have modified the helmet and now have it working with my Autocom, I am stuck with it. Nobody would buy what must be the loudest (wind noise) helmet made that has been cut up.

Luckily the Autocom system with the speakers set correctly allows me to hear my music, make phone calls and use my iCom 91A for bike to bike just fine. The system works up to 155kmh (as fast as I could get a GS1150 with my 245 pounds loaded up) just fine with my iPod set to about 25% volume.

I just returned from a trip that started in Xining, China and ended in Lhasa, Tibet - my old Autocom Pro-7 worked flawlessly the entire trip. Even though I had it wired with a PTT switch, I used VOX the entire trip.

Hank

I ended up ditching the Bluetooth in my Nolan 103s. I doug out my Chatterbox XS2, 2 of them one for the wife, bought 2 J&M headsets made for the Nolan 103s and had John at Mixit make me a wire from the J&M headset to the Chatterbox. I also have my Zumo wired to the Chatterbox and now we have bike to bike, XM and mp3s in stereo with plenty of volume and it sounds great. Simple and inexpensive. Only thing is we're back to wired.

Archived