IGNORED

Is the Venting Machine worth the wait?

redryder

I am planning a trip to New Mexico in just a week. I've decided that I wanted to go wearing a BMW Venting Machine. Went to a dealer and they were very patient with me. They got out the old tape measure and fitted me proper. Had the pants in my size, but it seems that my fondness for chocolate and Coca-Cola has made my belly larger than BMW thinks it should be. Moral of the story is that I need a Euro 60 jacket and there aren't any at the dealer, and there are 30 something on national backorder. They are trying to find one at another dealer and get it in before my Friday morning departure. The burning question is: Should I be unable to get a venting machine, which mesh suit do you guys find best. Looked at the Joe Rocket Phoenix, but it looks a little flimsy should a forced dismount occur. What about the Marsee?? Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Rode over to Nashville (200 miles each way) today with the leather jacket on and thought I was going to sweat to death. Had to take it off for the last 60 miles to prevent heat stroke. If any of you have a venting machine jacket in a size 60 hanging in your closet, let me know.

RR -

There's a great post going on this subject on the MOA site right now. I already wrote a long answer and there are a lot of other good comments, so here's a link:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7310

First - while some of the BMW gear seems to run true to size, the Venting Machine seems to run very small and form-fitting, so the problem may not be "all" you smile.gif

Depends on where you are going in New Mexico - if you will not be down South, you may want to consider a Savanna II or Santiago jacket - you could open the vents and ride in it, and it will be good for the cooler months which are right aroungd the corner.

Have a great trip - NM is a beautiful state.

If your dealer has it in stock, in your size, you might want to consider the Airflow II suit. Other colors besides black are available too.

Thanks for the replies so far. I had forgotten about the First Gear stuff. I have a pair of their boots and they are very comfortable. I bought a pair of BMW vented boots yesterday, and after riding the 200 some odd miles back home I would have to honestly say that I wouldn't buy another pair. They are not any more comfortable than my FG boots and didn't vent that much. (In all fairness to any boot though, there isn't an abundance of airflow behind my RT fairing) Will keep hoping and holding out for the Venting Machine but will track down a First Gear suit as a runner up. Does FG make vented pants to go with the vented jacket?

When you do get your venting machine jacket, be sure to check out the fit at the upper arms, mine seems a bit restrictive, preventing me from being able to sit 'upright' with my arms extended to the handlebars, without feeling a (tug) near my shoulders.

But it is a great jacket.

Also check out the Santiago (Light color) I have it also and find it as comfortable as the VM even in 95+ temps, (and summer is almost over) so why not wait til next year for the VM, get a Santiago now and have it for the fall, winter, spring.......Who knows by summer you may not need a size 60 thumbsup.gif

By the way the Santiago pants, 108F, no problem.

First gear makes excellent mesh riding pants. They zip in back to the mesh jacket and make a good combo for hot weather protection. I haven't tried their mesh overpants, so I can't comment on those. I added better armor to the jacket, and am very happy with it. Been commuting daily through our midwest 90's temps and humidity.

SEATTLE_RIDER

If you can't locate the vent mach jacket, I can tell you I've been very happy with my Rallye II jacket & pants. Everything from Death Valley to snow storms. 25K & still looks and feels new. Nikwax makes it totally waterproof.

If you like leather, perferated Vanson works well in the heat also. Spendy, but they're all spendy.......... grin.gif

John Dickens

I've just had 3 weeks in Spain using the Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket and although it looks flimsy initially the armour is CE approved and held in place well. The back protector is also better than many. Although I never had to test it for real I felt confident riding with it.

As a matter of interest I also had the matching Phoenix pants but found the fit to be odd. They were baggy around my backside even though the waist fitted well, and believe me this is rarely a problem for me. My Euro size is usually Fat B*****d!

Hein Gericke do their own version. The mesh is different but works very well too. I think it's called 'Gericke Air'

I have the venting machine jacket and the santiago pants in black. I have ridden in 112 degree weather in Tucson and was comfortable. I highly recommend both. Something you should consider is the fact that they are made of aramide fibers which are almost as good as kevlar. These fibers will not melt at highway speeds most of us drive at,if you should hit the pavement. Joe Rocket fibers can melt at speeds as low as 45 mph. Nylon is somewhat better but not as good as aramide. Iron Horse Motors in Tucson has the pants but not the jacket. If interested their phone no. is 520-327 0773.You might also try Victory Motors in Chandler, Az, they may have a jacket.

I have a VM riding suit and love it, especially in 100 degree plus weather. The only downside is the dark color - at a standstill it can heat up. That particular color may have a specific purpose, though I haven't researched it:

.....Something you should consider is the fact that they are made of aramide fibers which are almost as good as kevlar. ....

Kevlar is a tradename for a polyaramid fiber, same type as the material in the Venting Machine suit. The downside to these fibers is they can degrade under long term sunlight exposure - ultraviolet light. If shielded, by a coating or under fiber, they last a lot longer. A lower cost material used in place of Kevlar in vests - Zylon - degrades fairly rapidly and a vest rapidly becomes unsuitable for ballistic protection

I'm very impressed with the quality of the BMW suit. As an example, the hip pads (an optional extra) are in two pieces for each side - as you sit on the bike the shapes fit together like a puzzle piece for hip coverage, but standing up and they move apart to give more flexibility. I'm happy I got it. The fit is a slender european style however. The Rev'it Airflow jacket looked very good to me, well built and well ventilated - it was my immediate second choice. It does have the euro fit too.

I did find a VM and have ridden with it for 1503 miles over three days. The first two days were ok until the late afternoon when the temps reached 100+ with humidity almost the same. Both days were VERY uncomfortable; but I don't think any suit could have kept me comfortable...it was just too hot to be riding. Day three and the last 600 miles were done in the high 80, but at a lower humidity and the suit was perfect. Today, the eight hours on the bike was as perfect as one could ask for. Through the west Texas caprock and over into the New Mexico desert and not one thing to complain about. I do like the protection the VM seems to offer (but I hope I never have to ops test it). It is a very well made suit and worth the price I think. However, I probably would have been happy with a First Gear or Marsee as well. I do know that sitting behind that RT fairing I don't get enough airflow to really get the air flowing through the suit like it should. I did get a bit of a cross wind today and it really made the suit a lot more comfortable. Bottom line? I like the VM.

Glad to see you've found the suit. When it gets over 100F, it's HOT no matter what you wear, but you will find when you are stopped (getting gas, etc.) the VM will be a bit cooler than non mesh. I was out in 107F yesterday and performed a little test ( I can be real anal sometimes). Took a ride with VM in blazing hot sun, then rode a bit with the jacket off wearing only a tee shirt (yeah....ATGATT). Know what? just as hot. Meaning? the mesh did not add to the discomfort, only the blazing 107F did! thumbsup.gif

Archived