IGNORED

Jesse bags on a GS

brennaman

I just bought an '04 1150GS that has an older set of Jesse bags on it. I bought it in Cal. and rode it home, and noticed that there was an exhaust extension that was missing. This caused the saddlebag to get very hot. After I got it home, I bought the extension, and also a heat shield that I put on the saddlebag around the exhaust. (very similar to what BMW puts on some of thier saddlebags) I was hoping this would cure my problem. Well I went riding today, and after I got home I thought I would measure the temperature inside the saddlebag around the exhaust, and it was 140 deg. F. Is this about what I can expect with an aluminum saddlebag surrounding an exhaust? Should I get an exhaust wrap for the muffler and muffler extension to keep from frying my saddlebag? Do any of you have this problem with jesse bags? Thanks

I just bought an '04 1150GS that has an older set of Jesse bags on it. I bought it in Cal. and rode it home, and noticed that there was an exhaust extension that was missing. This caused the saddlebag to get very hot. After I got it home, I bought the extension, and also a heat shield that I put on the saddlebag around the exhaust. (very similar to what BMW puts on some of thier saddlebags) I was hoping this would cure my problem. Well I went riding today, and after I got home I thought I would measure the temperature inside the saddlebag around the exhaust, and it was 140 deg. F. Is this about what I can expect with an aluminum saddlebag surrounding an exhaust? Should I get an exhaust wrap for the muffler and muffler extension to keep from frying my saddlebag? Do any of you have this problem with jesse bags? Thanks

With my Jesse Sarfari's came the extensions....Free....AFAIK the older model bags did not come with the extensions,they were extra. I know you said "1150" but here is a 1200 series.

Prior to my Jesse purchase,I had bought extensions from Tom at Excell Products here in mid Illinois.

His extensions are about 1-2" longer than the Jesse's. They just fit about ½" past the outside of the bags. I have had no heat related problems.

Here's an old shot,without the new Jesse bags... showing Tom's extensions http://www.excelcyclewerkes.com/index_files/Page599.htm ,just how far past the rack the pipe extensions are. Maybe he now has 1150 extensions available...give'm a hollar...

Hope this gives you some idea.

100_1333.jpg

I did buy the extension, which helps quite a bit. But the earlier model jesse bag's appear to be quite a bit closer to the muffler, which caused quite a bit of heat to be obsorbed by the saddlebag. I just thought 140 deg. is a little warm for some of the things I will be packing in that saddlebag. And that was on a 70 deg. day, not sure how hot it will get later in the summer.

Archived