IGNORED

Wiring in an Autocom intercom

RichardSpag

Has anybody hardwired an Autocom system into an R1200RT yet? I can't get any clues as to how to do this from the owners handbook, and don't want to spend £150 on something that I can't use!

Any guidance appreciated.

Cheers

Richard thumbsup.gifSpag

got mine wired into my 1200GS, and just tapped into the wires to the accessory outlet. Any switched power and ground should do it.

BMW really needs to put a pigtail under the seat for this, to make life easier. They KNOW people put this stuff on their bike!

For a low-powered device like an Autocom directly off the aux socket will probably work. An intercom is sensitive to noise though so best bet is to ground it at least directly to the battery. Positive can come off the aux. socket. Or better yet, take positive off the battery directly too and then relay it on/off from the aux. socket.

I have now wired my Autocom Active 7 on the 1200RT.

I used the Autocom part 158, it connects directly to the battery live and negative but uses a trigger relay feed from the live feed to the rear aux socket. Works just fine and the Garmin GPS is powered off the same relay. Switches on with ignition and off a minute after the ignition is off. http://www.autocom.co.uk/

I hardwired the Autocomm into the aux socket at the rear of the bike. What I also did was to buy a connectoer that the model racing car enthusiasts use to connect their batteries, this allows me to disconnect the wiring when necessary or if I'm fault finding. These plugs are non reversible and work well. I also used the same type of plug to hardwire my Garmin off the front power socket.

Thanks for your collective comments so far. My bike does not have the auxilliary power outlet at the rear of the bike - but I guess that the provision for this must exist in the standard loom. I have attached a photo of what I think must be the connector in the loom (red/green and brown wires). If this is the power out spur, I guess I can safely plug into this?

Cheers

Richard thumbsup.gifSpag

551202-power_out.jpg.f6c339a74c71182b2ad212a993a7381f.jpg

Mister_Richard

Richard,

Your picture is correctly showing the rear aux plug. My 1200RT also lacks the aux (it was an option) port, so I have my Autocom wired to it.

I first wired it direct but found too much noise in the circuit. So I now have it wired to the battery through a relay. I still use the "noisey" power from the aux plug to power (close) the relay. It works well. The relay opens after about 60 seconds when you turn the bike off, (which is normal). The Autocomm then turns off. I understand from the forum, you can buy a harness from Autocom that does the same thing. If you wire to the battery be sure to use a fuse, because the bikes' CAN Bus won't know it's there and won't be protecting the circuit!

Good luck,

Richard

Thanks for the clarification of the photo! I'll get a connector for the live from the auxilliary power spur and earth to the battery. Hopefully I will report back with good news in a few days!

Thanks to you all for your respective inputs on this subject.

Regards

Richard clap.gif

I wired my Autocom directly to the battery. But in the normal way that I do things thought I would leave to a later date wiring it through a relay, well I still haven’t done it yet, and I have left the bike for over a week and the battery was fine when I started the bike, correct me if I’m wrong but dose the unit only come live when the headset is plugged in?

but dose the unit only come live when the headset is plugged in?
It always consumes a few mA of power when in "standby", but as you say, not enough to make a big difference short term. All winter might be a different story.

------------------------------------------------------------

“correct me if I’m wrong but does the unit only come live when the headset is plugged in?”

Steve

Steve

The headset ONLY connects/disconnects portable internal battery power on the Pro-7 (and older Pro-M1) NOT the bikes 12 volt power which should be fused and preferably switched via the ignition key circuit.

Various factors will effect how much your bikes battery can tolerate being consumed over a period of time and then reliable start the bike when you want it to, even colder whether can influence this.

The good old fashioned UK spec bikes (even as resent as a couple of years ago) could have the lights manually switched off which would help a weaker battery when trying to start a bike, but alas most new UK bikes are now also having the VOLVO headlight treatment, like they get in the USA, so I can’t even suggest switching your lights off these days when you try to start the bike.

The best advice I can suggest is to avoid wiring any accessories directly across the battery and go to a switched live which will avoid discharging the battery over time when not being used.

Autocom-UK-Tom

“correct me if I’m wrong but does the unit only come live when the headset is plugged in?”

Steve

Steve

The headset ONLY connects/disconnects portable internal battery power on the Pro-7 (and older Pro-M1) NOT the bikes 12 volt power which should be fused and preferably switched via the ignition key circuit.

Various factors will effect how much your bikes battery can tolerate being consumed over a period of time and then reliable start the bike when you want it to, even colder whether can influence this.

The good old fashioned UK spec bikes (even as resent as a couple of years ago) could have the lights manually switched off which would help a weaker battery when trying to start a bike, but alas most new UK bikes are now also having the VOLVO headlight treatment, like they get in the USA, so I can’t even suggest switching your lights off these days when you try to start the bike.

The best advice I can suggest is to avoid wiring any accessories directly across the battery and go to a switched live which will avoid discharging the battery over time when not being used.

Autocom-UK-Tom

Thanks for your reply, I will get my unit onto a switched supply before I go on holiday, on my new 1200rt, only the side lights come on with the key, but as soon as the engine fires into life, the headlight comes on, so someone at BMW must have got out of bed with his thinking head on thumbsup.gif

Steve Carter

Many thanks for the update Steve thumbsup.gif and have a great holiday cool.gif

If you are passing the factory and want us to fit it, it should not take much longer than a cuppa?

Autocom-UK-Tom

Many thanks for the update Steve thumbsup.gif and have a great holiday cool.gif

If you are passing the factory and want us to fit it, it should not take much longer than a cuppa?

Autocom-UK-Tom

That a very kind offer, next time I'm in the area I will let you know.

Steve Carter thumbsup.gif

Archived