IGNORED

Just put M1's on my R1200ST

JohnJC

At just shy of 3k miles I've scrapped the stock Pilot Roads in favor of Metzler Sportec M1's. I thought I'd share why, and first impressions.

I lost confidence in the Pilots after several slides, which had no apparent cause. i.e. couldn't see any sand, gravel, oil... and wasn't pushing all that hard. It's the second time I've junked Pilots early, for the same reason. Previous was Sports on a Hayabusa.

I've tried a number of tires over the years, and M1's are probably the most confidence-inspiring tire I've used. I really like them on a previous Hayabusa and a Falco. I've read pushing them VERY hard can make the front a little greasy, but I never experienced that issue.

I just put the first 80 miles on the M1's. They aren’t a HUGE change, the ST is already a wonderful handling bike, but it is noticeable, and for the better. The steering is noticeably quicker and lighter. They have more road feel, yet smoother over minor road imperfections. I like the feel a lot better than the Pilots.

I break-in new tires slowly, so I still have nearly half an inch of tire left. But, I pretty much know what to expect as I start pushing them. VERY solid sure-footed grip. I'm hoping for 5-6k miles out of the rear, but time will tell.

That’s about what the M1's did on my Busa and Falcol. I'm hoping the 12ST isn't as hard on tires. If it is, maybe I'll give Z6's a shot. But, I'd rather change the rear every 3k miles than go back to the Pilots.

I've got a couple hundred on the M1's now, and they are just as I remembered. A very good tire. I did get a bit of a slide on a dewy morning and it felt great. Nice and controlled, with good feel as to what’s going on. Not the sudden wash-out feeling I got from the Pilots.

I know most people like the Pilots, so it is 'just me'. I wish it wasn't, because they looked like they'd give a lot of mileage.

Archived