IGNORED

Get with it, BMW.

Global_Rider

Global_Rider

Every few years I'll bitch about this...

You'd think a company like BMW would have dealer lists available for download into your Palm Pilot (as well as any other similar popular format).

The same would apply for GPS co-ordinates for the dealers which BMW guards like some national security secret.

Hey BMW, some of us tour on your touring bikes, so get with it! Talk about living in the dark ages.

Now if more owners would write in and complain, maybe something would get done.

Global_Rider
So many dealers are going out of business that it would be difficult to keep the list current.

Motors

Exactly why BMW should maintain and update such a list since THEY know who their dealers are.

I just fired an e-mail off to BMW AG.

So many dealers are going out of business that it would be difficult to keep the list current.

Motors

Exactly why BMW should maintain and update such a list since THEY know who their dealers are.

But by the time the information makes it to their well-maintained and timely web site . . .

Very cute! Funny! You're such a dreamer! eek.gifgrin.gif

I've written BMW twice over the past year about various topics and have never had a response. My most recent letter was copied to three different locations.

Frankly, they couldn't care less, and this attitude was confirmed at the MOA rally in Lima.

BMW insists on having marketing and customer service associates from the "car" side of their business working in the "bike" side of the business. They are smug, arrogant, and they don't "get" the fact that we live in a very different culture over here than what exists in the "car" world.

When was the last time you saw a guy stopping by to pick up his 740iL with a bucket hat on filled with rally pins and patches? eek.gifsmirk.gif

Their motorcycle engineers and designers seem to get what we want and what we need. From that point in Germany, we're (the end user) just an after-thought.

Their recent introduction of their CSI Index into the motorcycle business is one of many examples. While I think it is a step in the right direction, the survey they are using wasn't designed for the motorcycle culture. It is almost exactly the same as the one they use on the "car" side.

Frustrating.

Global_Rider

Motors

But by the time the information makes it to their well-maintained and timely web site . . .

Do you really think that info would change on a weekly basis? I mean, how many new dealers do you read about in a month?

Cripes, this can't do attitude reminds me of those useless managers at work...always finding a reason why things can't be done...no wonder they go belly up.

Global_Rider

I've written BMW twice over the past year about various topics and have never had a response.

Well don't write BMW NA. Send an e-mail to BMW AG in Germany, they'll forward it to BMW NA and when they don't respond, let BMW AG know. I don't write BMW Canada either.

ANYWAYS, THIS ISN'T WHAT THE TOPIC HEADER IS ABOUT.

ANYWAYS, THIS ISN'T WHAT THE TOPIC HEADER IS ABOUT.

Here's your header: Get with it, BMW.

Frankly, it could be about anything.

Lighten up.

Global_Rider
Here's your header: Get with it, BMW.

Frankly, it could be about anything.

Lighten up.

Fair enough.

You'd think people would come up with "hey, thats a really good idea". Instead, people come up with nothing but negativity, something I'd expect in some communist country, not the US.

Some Honda dealer got my business instead of a BMW dealer when my wheel bearings failed while on tour. I wonder how that BMW dealer felt about losing potential business due to BMW being in the dark ages.

Alex, I don't know that I would limit negativity to the US. wink.gif

I think your idea is a good one, but the lack of interest and/or response from BMW is in the same overall category as many other customer service related areas that BMW is struggling with on the motorcycle side of their business.

When I saw your post title, it took on a different meaning to me than what you were obviously thinking, but as I said, I group their lack of interest in your idea in the same area as their lack of interest or their inability to serve their customer's needs.

Your issue(s) with BMW is just one in a long line of issues that many around the world have with BMW.

And, the issues I have with BMW have less to do with their motorcycles than with their corporate structure and approach to us. But, as much as I love my bike, I will be hard-pressed to replace it with another BMW the next time around -- sadly. bncry.gif

Global_Rider
The issues I have with BMW have less to do with their motorcycles than with their corporate structure and approach to us.

Maybe they should fire some of the no-can-do people in the organization. It takes very little to turn things around, like fresh ideas for starters.

I guess I can always mock BMW HQ with "I thought your bikes are meant to be toured with"; why are they so reluctant to implement the simple services that go with that aspect.

All they have to do is take it one step further. BMW Motorrad already lists the dealers for the various countries (Ihre BMW Partner). Who has the time to enter them manually in their PDA and check to see which ones have been updated? The distibutor has all the up-to-date info. BMW AG should spearhead that simple project.

It's about 90% good. I've gone to several that were no longer there. They used to publish a book with phone #'s and such of the dealers/not in the past 2 years. BMWNA is not making any $ and they have been cutting everything back for a couple of years.

Not defending...just passing info along.

I'm still trying to figure out how a BMW dealer could charge an unfortunate traveler $92.00 to plug a back tire after picking up a screw!! It's that stuff that helps me refrain from getting the R1200RT that I would love to have....(see Texas Quickie Tech Day in Ride Tales)..

Global_Rider
I can't vouch for it being up to date, but here is a BMW Dealer Waypoints web site you might try.

Already have that one, but as you've said "can't vouch for it being up-to-date", which is exactly why BMW should be handling this.

Plus those GPS co-ordinates are only good for North America.

Thanks for passing the info along anyways.

Global_Rider
BMWNA is not making any $ and they have been cutting everything back for a couple of years.

Marty, why is it we hear about record sales every year?

BTW, I have the BMW dealer GPS co-ordinates for Austria, Germany and Switzerland that I put together a few years ago, but I also can't vouch for it being up-to-date either. The latter wouldn't be an issue if BMW handled that database. If you need/want them, let me know.

I have the same dealers on a PDA file as well.

why is it we hear about record sales every year?

Record sales does not equal record profits.

Record revenues does not equal profits.

Alex,

If they let the price float to the euro level, the price of an RT or GS would go up about 3k. Very few would sell. They have been discounting bikes for several years in the US. I paid $12.3 for a new 1150RT in '03. If you know where to go and how to shop you can get a new 12GS for up to 1.7k off list.

They are trying to stay in the US for the future/making next to nothing the past 2-3 years.

why is it we hear about record sales every year?

Record sales does not equal record profits.

Record revenues does not equal profits.

In my opinion that's just another example of poor management. Record sales and revenues are suppose to be a good thing.. confused.gif Sounds like the Aggie that was paying $1.25 a bale for hay and selling it for $1.00..After having his Aggie accountant friend evaluate the business the friend told him that problem would be easily solved if he could just do more volume... wink.gif

BMW (corporate) consistently breaks one of the big rules of running a business if you don't want to piss-off your customer base.

It's O.K. to arrogant and it's O.K. to be ignorant ......................but NEVER ber both at the same time.

Do you really think that info would change on a weekly basis? I mean, how many new dealers do you read about in a month?

It's not the "new" dealers. It's the "no longer a dealer" part that seems to change quickly.

Global_Rider
If you know where to go and how to shop you can get a new 12GS for up to 1.7k off list.

Where and how, my specialty. I got $3700 off MSRP on my new 04 GS Adventure. I couldn't turn that down.

Anyways, back to the topic. Despite harder times, what would it take for them to take info they already have and put it in Excel format for PDA download? Practically nothing.

No, this is simply your typical BMW mentality. Why would anyone want to know where a BMW dealer is. Glad I'm not a dealer, I'd raise hell with them.

Global_Rider

It's not the "new" dealers. It's the "no longer a dealer" part that seems to change quickly.

Time for a quiz:

Do you think your average consumer or BMW would know of a change before it even happens?

Who it be easier for the average consumer or BMW to maintain a current dealer database?

I think the answers are quite obvious.

Alex,

The easy answer is always...it can't be done because. Keep in mind the project would be done in 10-20 minutes each month or when changes occurred by a college intern being paid $6 per hour.

Global_Rider
Alex,

The easy answer is always...it can't be done because. Keep in mind the project would be done in 10-20 minutes each month or when changes occurred by a college intern being paid $6 per hour.

Maybe I'll volunteer, but only for North American and European dealers.

Back to the garage to finish up final wiring. Ooooohhh, that driving light installation looks pro!

Alex,

If they let the price float to the euro level, the price of an RT or GS would go up about 3k. Very few would sell. They have been discounting bikes for several years in the US. I paid $12.3 for a new 1150RT in '03. If you know where to go and how to shop you can get a new 12GS for up to 1.7k off list.

They are trying to stay in the US for the future/making next to nothing the past 2-3 years.

Marty,

I'm in the market for an RT. The folks in the Chicago area will deal. $1400 off MSRP. I figure that's $600-$800 above invoice. I can live with that. Let us know who you deal with. Around my area it seems everyone pays close to MSRP.

Archived