IGNORED

K1200 RS valve adjustment check.

1lifesavr

I have a 2003 K1200RS that I bought in April this year. I have put about 7000 miles on it so far and would prefer to do as much service related items myself. I have done the 12,000 miles fluid changes, tranny, rear diff, and engine oil. I am using Amsoil in all. Now I need to tackle the plugs and check the valve adjustment. I would like to tap into the great wealth of knowledge here and ask for some guidance on my first attempt. Procedures and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Dennis Andress

I've only had my K12 about a month but I've lived with several K100's. Thery're the same thing only different. When reinstalling the valve cover make sure the rubber gasket is clean and dry. The bolts that hold the cover on have a shoulder, they only go in so far before the shoulder bottoms out. That means you can't put more squeeze on the gasket by tightening these bolts further. For the K100 the torque spec for these bolts is 8 ft lbs. That's hand tight to me.

The spark plug cap has a tab with a hole in it sticking out. Use some bailing wire or such to hook through this hole and then just pull the cap off. Twisting the cap back and forth a bit on the plug first makes this easier.

Twisting the cap back and forth a bit on the plug first makes this easier.
Use GM Dielectric Grease to refit the caps, will save the rubber boot and ease removal on next service. Stuff IS pricey, tho.

Archived