IGNORED

376C XM plans..

steveknapp

Here's how I mounted the antenna for the weekend...

Okay, that was kind of a stupid picture. This is what the kit looks like off the bike (everything less the u-bolt RAM mount on the left handlebar).

kit.jpg

The white plastic threads onto the marine mount, which attaches to the handlebar. An inelegant solution because of the weight of the marine mount, but it was the first and easiest available during a furtive visit to the local West Marine. There are no real magnetic surfaces -- the headlight roll-bar is one, and the switchgear is another -- on a GS to speak of. Thought about a pizza box on the rear rack, 'cept that involves routing cables and that's kind of ugly in a way.

Dropouts, sadly, are about the same as experience with the micro antennae sold with Roady-style units. The music only seems to work on roads I don't like -- a stable balance, I suppose. The weather is excellent, and works even when the music doesn't (unless you're riding in a 30-mile long tunnel).

This winter, I'm planning on using it to explore some new territory ... and introduce the lexicon of weather into the strategy of route planning.

Or maybe I'll just stay home and read a book.

Not a bad 'weekend' trip to that destination, if you live in NJ!

Not bad, indeed ... Sarah lived there for a few years (you may have seen the movie ... "Escape from Ohio") so it was a homecoming of sorts for her. We stayed at her friend's place in the city ... nice because we weren't playing tourist in hotel lobbies.

Here I think she's thinking, "What crazy place/dirt road do we have to ride to/down next?!?"

ritteronthepacific.jpg

Here's a nice overview shot...

That nice view with cloud cover, it turns out, is part of the more (or most) expensive package -- the one I'm too cheap too buy. That was a simulator view, I suppose Garmin are not stupid (is not stupid, huh?) in that they will tease a package with better features when possible.

Here are three caps pulled in from xImage two live (or nearly live, the GXM 30 gets pulled while the USB cable talks to the PC) WX images from here, and a third from a storm passing through Savannah.

wx1.gif

In the marine view above, we have all roads turned off (save for railroads, which are sometimes a better indicator of topography then topo maps themselves), and I get what I pay for, here barometric pressure gradients and water temperature. Interesting how much warmer it is in Eastern LI than along the NJ shore.

wx2.gif

Here's a wider view, showing some frontal action (frontal?) and areas of pressure. As in each of these images, the weather data displayed in the corners is as measured at the nearest station, rather than at the unit.

wx3.gif

And a pan down toward some rainstorms south of the border.

ClearwaterBMW

nice views matt

i wonder when they'll make all the "goodies" more affordable for us

mayb e some $39.95 (still expensive), do-it-all package....

the one that NOW costs $99.95/month

are there 3 people on earth who'll spend that kind of money per month?

how utterly ridiculous

greg

remember:

i'm leaving at 0350 tomorrow....

riding to north georgia

i'll get PLENTY OF USE our of that 376C on THIS trip

greg

my geek setup

We tried this today in the car during a long drive to and from Ocean City MD. There was significant rain today in the northeast, and the report from the field is that the NEXRAD results were neatly tuned to the pit-pat of raindrops on the windshield. We could see what were bands of light rain, and how deep the bands of heavy rain were. It was kind of nice, actually. Another good feature is a four-frame animation that endlessly repeats (or not, if you choose) itself, showing 15 minutes of activity.

The results of the head-to-head were interesting as well ... because of the vagaries of screen and type size, the 376C actually shows more of the City Navigator instructions than the 2610 (with which that software ships) does. Not that the third control city on a five-line-high sign makes much difference, but an interesting data point nonetheless.

ClearwaterBMW

just got back from 1700 miles trip to the georgia mountains on my GS with the 376C on board

a lot of rain this weekend

it worked great... amazing actually...

it was the HIT of Deal's Gap after my ride there on saturday (NOT the best day to go/only day with decent weather)....

even ran into some illustrious folks from this forum at that very moment

more tomorrow

suffice it to say this:

1. the nexrad works great

2. the screen resolution is 100 times BETTER than the nav ii plus

greg

ClearwaterBMW

during my last friday ride near helen and suches, georgia, the rain was pretty bad. i brought the "scale" on the 376C down to 0.3 miles (the most for STREET LEVEL DETAIL) and the accuracy of the NEXRAD was amazing....

while the cells are BLOCKY at that magnification (because the come in 1 mile "blocks") it was entirely accurate.

i could "watch" the rain chasing us around the mountain roads... while still concentrating on my riding, of course

i would HIGHLY ADVISE any of you who buy one to mount it in the midline.... right in your "line of sight" as you will be looking at it a lot... and it will be easier to concentrate on your direction of travel that way

greg

Archived