IGNORED

DOT 4 Brake fluid...

Gregori

In getting ready to do the brakes this weekend at the Tech Daze at my house, I went to purchase a couple of bottles of DOT 4. Only problem is - the stores near me don't seem to have it - they sell DOT 3, DOT 5 (which I know is different), and then there's stuff that says 'DOT 3 & 4 compatible' or 'exceeds specifications for DOT 3 & 4.' But nothing marked *just* DOT 4.

So I'm here to ask the collective wisdom on this board what the scoop on brake fluid is... IS there just straight DOT 4 available, and is it the same as the above referenced stuff?

Thanks!

Greg, you're good to go. The fluid that meets or exceeds DOT4 is fine. I use Valvoline SynPower high performance brake fluid available at most parts stores.

Auto Zone carries Castrol GT LMA, which exceeds DOT 4, and is my current fluid-of-choice. It runs about $6/quart. I would steer clear of "house fluids," for no reason other than I think it's false economy. Remember that brake fluid starts to absorb moisture as soon as it's exposed to air, so using fluid that's more than about 4 weeks old will only add a small amount of moisture to your new fluid ( which is why we flush and change in the first place...to get rid of the water moisture in the system ). If you go to a race shop, a superior product is ATE, available in two colors so you know when the new fluid starts to come through the lines, and it usually runs about $10/quart. Vastly superior to Castrol et al, however, because of the higher boiling point ( which translates into less moisture absorption ).

I have a full bottle of DOT 4 in my garage. At least one bottle exists.

In getting ready to do the brakes this weekend at the Tech Daze at my house, I went to purchase a couple of bottles of DOT 4. Only problem is - the stores near me don't seem to have it - they sell DOT 3, DOT 5 (which I know is different), and then there's stuff that says 'DOT 3 & 4 compatible' or 'exceeds specifications for DOT 3 & 4.' But nothing marked *just* DOT 4.

So I'm here to ask the collective wisdom on this board what the scoop on brake fluid is... IS there just straight DOT 4 available, and is it the same as the above referenced stuff?

Thanks!

Steve_Witmer

Castrol GT-LMA is the way to go if you want to avoid a trip to the dealer for "genuine BMW" brake fluid. Good stuff and available almost everywhere.

Do not use DOT 5 brake fluid.

Archived