IGNORED

CCP connections, do they relate to

TracyPrier

Hi

Can anyone tell me what the following CCP pin connections do? In other words what configuration do they set the Motronic up for...with a CAT, without etc.

I have a 2000 rt-p which surges quite badly, done the proscribed TBS, valve adjustment etc. From what I have read, although there are 2 schools of thought I don't like the idea of running with no CCP.

Beige CCP, 30-87a connections

Dove Blue CCP, 30-86-87a connections

Mahogany Brown CCP, 30-86-87-87a connections

Thanks

Tracy

30-86 Olive which for my 2000 1100rt has been the best configuration. I just use a jummper wire.

But I also have R-259 techulision and Zteck 4000 no cat exhaust. Getting constant 43-45mpg with 89octane fuel.

SURGE FREE NOW!

Dave

According to Rob Lentini (and my own experience) the 30/87 is the richest setting other than running with no CCP at all.

The 30/87 is the yellow CCP.

I have the 30/87 CCP that came out of my 99RT. If you would like to try it send me an address and I will mail it to. I have no more use for it since I totaled my 99RT frown.gif

From what I have read, although there are 2 schools of thought I don't like the idea of running with no CCP.

Thanks

Tracy

Tracy,

I know what you said in your post, but I have been running without my (stock?) yellow CCP in my 2000 RT-P for the last month or so, and have really never thought about putting it back in since I pulled it. So nice to have that surging gone! And I haven't heated my cat to the point where the bike burned up either!

That is the only mod I did: I did not also put in a CO pot, just pulled the yellow CCP. Doesn't seem to change fuel mileage, but the idle speed after it warms up went up by maybe 200 rpm. Just haven't had time to re-set that yet, and it isn't too bad at about 1050 rpm.

Just my 2 cents,

Tom

I've got an '01 RT and have pulled my pink CCP plug some time ago. The bike runs so much better and eliminated 97% of the surging. I took it to the dealer for my 12K service and they put it back in. The results were brutal, so I've taken it out again. In total I've probably run about 3,000 miles with it out. No issues.

MW

ShovelStrokeEd

I took the cat code plug out of my '02 S at 3K miles, 42K on it now. No issues or problems. The maps are so close to each other as to be undetectable to the rider.

According to Rob Lentini (and my own experience) the 30/87 is the richest setting other than running with no CCP at all. The 30/87 is the yellow CCP.

And that's amazing, since in my experience the yellow CCP runs way too lean (meaning all the classic symptoms: surging, poor throttle response, etc.)... and the others are even worse..?

I'll also add my experience, 20k miles with no CCP and no CO pot (on an 1100). I have become rather experienced in tuning the bike and while I can get it to run pretty well in stock trim, without the CCP I experience a reduction in surge, noticeably improved throttle response, and even a slight increase in fuel mileage. I've had no problems with the cat nor have I ever heard of anyone who has.

My '02 Roadster came with the yellow plug. I only had very slight surging on rare occasions. I pulled it out about two years ago. Every once in a while, I put it back in for a little while (e.g. when it was under warranty and I took it to the dealer for service). I always end up taking it out again because I prefer the way it runs without it.

The bike runs fine without the CCP.

And that's amazing, since in my experience the yellow CCP runs way too lean (meaning all the classic symptoms: surging, poor throttle response, etc.)... and the others are even worse..?

Well,,, Seth just because your bike has the dreaded surge problem does not make what I posted wrong.

The yellow CCP is the richest of all the CCPs in the 1100 oilhead.

When Rob began posting his findings I decided to do a little experimenting of my own.

I used an O2/Combustible gas analyzer that we use in the natural gas fired boilers where I work to come to my conclusions.

I am not saying that the yellow CCP is the cure all to surging. It works for some. There are some that are so bad that pulling it is the best course of action.

Mine ran great with it installed. No surging that I could perceive. How ever it did run better without it. Starting was easier. The response just off of idle was way better. The midrange was much more crisp. I also get a slight increase in MPG. Cruising down the slab at 70 MPH and not playing with the volume knob to much smirk.gif I could get 56 MPG.

As far as the cat goes mine ran for 60K miles with no problems at all.

Well,,, Seth just because your bike has the dreaded surge problem does not make what I posted wrong.

I'm sorry Mike, guess I didn't communicate well. I wasn't disagreeing with you at all or making any attempt to claim that your information wasn't correct. Please accept my apology if it came out that way.

I was just pointing out that if the yellow CCP was in fact the richest of the bunch then that is a pretty sad situation and I can only wonder how much worse the bike would run under settings even leaner than the yellow CCP. That's all, no offense intended.

Paul Mihalka
Sorry but I am new. What is a CCP?

Sorry nobody answered your question. CCP stands for Cat Code Plug. It is a little removable connection box sitting next to the relais under the relais/fuse cover. What it does, depending on type and color, it activates different programs in your Electronic Engine Control (sometimes called EEC). It adapts the engine control to different model bikes, and to different regulations in different countries. Some times switching to different control programs you end up with a bike you like better.

I'm sorry Mike, guess I didn't communicate well. I wasn't disagreeing with you at all or making any attempt to claim that your information wasn't correct. Please accept my apology if it came out that way.

No worries Seth. grin.gifgrin.gif

I have that problem also. What is in my mind does not always come out right when I put the fingers to the key board or pen to paper. dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Thanks for all the input guys smile.gif

One thing intrigues me.

I have read more than once that people reckon running without a CCP puts the system into "limp home" mode.

Yet, Haynes (gidday Keith) mentioned that his bike came without one and that is how they are set up for the Aussie market.

I am currently in the process of ascertaining what config New Zealand market bikes come in but I would suspect it is the same as the Aussie bikes.

Where am I going here? well, how can running no CCP be some kind of "limp home" setting when entire market's of bikes are set up like this? There must be thousands of Oilheads in Auss and NZ and they can't all be running in some kind of emergency mode surely? That would make absolutely no sense confused.gif

Now I'm also reasonably sure that the Aussie (and I'm sure NZ) bikes also do not have a catalytic converter so I'm wondering if the default config for these bikes is no CCP, no CAT and either no O2 sensor and a CO pot or just an O2 sensor?

Now I'm so confused I don't know what my name is or where I live wink.gif

Cheers

Tracy

Paul Mihalka

In any CCP discussion it always has to be very clear if you are talking about the R1100 bikes or the R1150 bikes. They have completely different engine control units, different stock setups and different CCP standards.

The R1100RT bikes for Europe, Canada, and probably (I don't know) Australia and NZ came stock without CCP and with the manual CO adjuster.

Right, good point Paul.

I should have been specific about 1100's

But you see my point though right? This business of no CCP = limp home mode can't be right can it or all bikes for all markets would have some kind of CCP.

Cheers

Tracy

Paul Mihalka
Sorry Paul, also meant to ask: The Euro/Canada etc bikes also have an O2 sensor as well as a CO pot??

Cheers

Tracy

No. By removing the CCP on a R1100RT it ignores the oxygen sensor even if the bike has one installed and connected, and looks for the input of the CO adjuster. If there is no CCP and no CO adjuster, I would guess it goes to some established ballpark value for the CO adjuster. You might call it a "limp-home mode", but it works pretty good.

Aha! Great, thanks Paul this is just the info I have been after smile.gif

So, I think I'll go buy a CO pot...next question...where does it install??

Cheers

Tracy

Paul Mihalka
So, I think I'll go buy a CO pot...next question...where does it install??

Cheers

Tracy

Under the left side removable black cover. When orddering/buying the CO pot get also the rubber mounting device. It is a straight plug-in into the wiring harness, related to the engine control.

Thanks Paul...

Man this group is amazing!

Not only great collective knowledge but a good bunch of people as well.. no smartarse know-alls smile.gif

Tracy

Archived