IGNORED

Autocom Auto Volume control

Mevos

I'm thinking about purchasing the Autocom intercom system for my R1150RT (2004). In looking at their product line I found that their music only system :

http://www.autocomamerica.com/docs/products_details.cfm?productID=59

has automatic volume control based on ambient noise, while the 'more advanced' systems, (active 7 and pro 7) dont mention that feature. Both an email and a phone call to Autocom confirm that the '7' systems don't have the auto volume feature. I'm wondering why they find it nessary to put the auto volume control on the music only system and not on the other systems. I'm mainly concerned with getting good music quality at differing speeds. Does the lack of autovolume cause a problem in listening to music on the more advanced '7' systems?

TIA

I have not had a problem with my Active 7. I have a remote control for my iPod and can adust the volume w/o any problems. In fiddling around, I have found an acceptable level for city and highway riding.

I have the Active 7 with custom ear speakers ran through the factory radio. The only volume problem I had was the volume was either to loud or not loud enough. I installed another control,run it half volume, and all is well. I don't find the need to adj. it very often. Jr.

Automatic self sensing and adjusting music volume is really only a benefit to you if you do not intend using earplugs, including monitor earplugs, as with conventional earplugs the volume simply needs to be set high all the time, irrespective of speeds, as the changes in ambient noise levels through earplugs are very little and so you just need full volume to drive through the deafening plugs all the time. You most definitely do not want an AV system to keep reducing the music level TOO LOW each time you slow down.

I therefore think you will find a fixed full volume system (like Pro-7) is much better with earplugs than having AV.

In-ear-speaker plugs (monitor earplugs) on the other hand are a different matter altogether and you simply want to just set the volume to low all the time, as again the ambient noise levels hardly change inside the protection of the plug, and so with the speaker inside the plug you simply do not need to change the audio levels, just set them to low.

I therefore think you will find fix low volume system (like Pro-7) is much better with monitor earplugs than having AV.

The only time AV is good is when you do not have any type of earplugs and so ambient noise levels are at there extreme differences between slow and fast speeds. Only then is AV worth having

Autocom used to make a Pro3000 system that had AV that worked very well and was liked by many, however over the years we learnt that most Autocom customers want to use earplugs of one sort or another and so as the majority did not want AV it was dropped when we launched the Pro-M1 and also its replacement the much louder for earplug users Pro-7, with a view of; if you really want AV then it can be added via a AV music lead with on bike sensor.

The old AVMS is basically a rider only music system that works well without earplugs and can be modified to work with a Pro-7 system etc

Indeed on a BMW equipped with handlebar remote tuning and volume controls you will find yourself frequently manually adjusting the volume level to compensate for incorrect AV levels when using earplugs, whereas it is simple enough to manually adjust the levels to suit if required when not using an AV system?

I look forward to your feedback, views and comments on this subject

Hope this helps

Autocom-UK-Tom

Archived