IGNORED

Cooling Vests

727cpt

I have an ArcticHeat vest... it's different than the usual evaporative vest. It's designed for sports use. I wore mine during the Lima rally and was generally more comfortable than other folk. Drop me a private message and perhaps we can chat about this in more detail.

Just started using mine. "Eagle" is the brand, I think. Worked quite well during the just-about-over southern Calif. heatwave. I Under the vest my T-shirts were dry. Along the bottom edges there was some dampness. Other than that, the the only problem I have is remembering to take it along.

Slight thread hijack here, but do those cooling vests soak your clothes?
Not once you get past the initial soaking and wringing of it out. The crystals hold the water and the surface of the vest, and your clothes, actually stay almost dry.

Check out this report, I have one and it does work thumbsup.gif and only $30

http://www.soundrider.com/May05/techniche_evaporative_cooling_vest.htm

When ordering, you want it snug, so if you just fit into large size t-shirts, get a large, if large sizes fit you well, get the medium, the vest comes with an elastic side panel to draw it tight to your body and if it's too big it won't work as well.

Jerry_75_Guy

We have two of the Techniche vests, and for $30 they work very well. However, so far they have only been averageing 1 to 1.5hrs of utility before needing to be soaked again.

Would other brands perform better? Is this just the weather we've been having? Dunno, but after 90min. I don't mind the chance to stop and go in the gas station for a whiz anyway, while the vests soak in a ziplock filled with ice water. $30 compared to $100 and up seems good to me.

I use the Silver Eagle and I have found it to keep you cool from gas stop to gas stop when riding in the desert. Thats about 200 miles at a stretch.

Der Beemerfolk.......I have been using my "Chill Out" jacket I bought at the Chicken (Rocket City) Rally.....works well in (our) summer heat...

Shep Brown

Spanish Fort ,AL

I bought a Colorado Cooler from those folks at Top of the Rockies. Works great in the west with no humidity. Has no cooling effect in humid climes, which I believe will be the case with all evaporative coolers.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

After reading this thread I ordered the techniche vest from soundrider using the link listed above. It arrived about a week later, wrong color and size. I called and spoke with Tom who told me to send it back and they would exchange it. I asked him about refunding shipping costs, as this was not my fault. He got a bit snippy and said, "fine, if it's that big of a deal I'll put $3 in the envelope when I send it back, but now I'm not making anything on this."

I sent mine back with a note documenting the above, and received the replacement yesterday. This one is the right color and size, but was in a zip-loc storage bag and clearly it has been used. It isn't stinky nasty used, just crushed and crinkled as if it has been used once or twice, but come on. No note explaining why and no $3 either. This is just poor customer service.

I just wanted to share my experience with that company. As always, your milage may vary.

Mike

I figured next year to try one of these under my mesh jacket.

Forestry Suppliers

For $19.95 it's worth a shot.

This year I went from:

HD....ANGAA (absolutely no gear at all) crazy.gif

TO

BMW....AATGATT (almost all the gear all the time) smile.gif

The only thing I lack is some warm weather pants.

(watching the Used For Sale section closely)

The Techniche is a POS. Ask me how I know....

After reading this thread I ordered the techniche vest from soundrider using the link listed above. It arrived about a week later, wrong color and size. I called and spoke with Tom who told me to send it back and they would exchange it. I asked him about refunding shipping costs, as this was not my fault. He got a bit snippy and said, "fine, if it's that big of a deal I'll put $3 in the envelope when I send it back, but now I'm not making anything on this."

I sent mine back with a note documenting the above, and received the replacement yesterday. This one is the right color and size, but was in a zip-loc storage bag and clearly it has been used. It isn't stinky nasty used, just crushed and crinkled as if it has been used once or twice, but come on. No note explaining why and no $3 either. This is just poor customer service.

I just wanted to share my experience with that company. As always, your milage may vary.

Mike

Mike, I can hardly believe what I am reading. I can understand blowing an order. It would bother me, but I know those sort of things happen. I thought the story would end on the note about Tom's poor customer service, but NO...it is topped by sending you a used vest! What is the right word for this? Outrageous? Pathetic? I don't know... frown.gif

P.S. Is Zac Taylor the real deal. Will the offense get it together. smile.gif

The Techniche is a POS. Ask me how I know....

Okay, Jackflash, I'll bite. How do you know?

I tried it on a quick ride the other evening, but I don't have enough experience with it yet to form an opinion of it's effectiveness - hopefully this weekend!

Of course, I'll have to work in riding around the Husker game this weekend. tongue.gif I guess we'll find out if Taylor is the real deal here eventually, but I think it will take more time. The west coast offense takes pro QB's years to learn, so I doubt our offense will be stellar this year. I'd like stellar and it's a possibility, but I'll be happy with "much improved." I sure miss the days of option football.

"The Techniche is aPOS. Ask me how I know...."

Ok. I'll bite too; tell me more. I tried in vain to get some comparative comments between the Techniche and other brands, but nobody said a word.

My wife and I have used the Techniche vests on 4 or 5 short, hot trips, and I used mine on my SS1k last month.

I was a little disapointed that they didn't perform longer (1 to 2hrs depending on conditions), but at $30 compared to $100 for other makes, they seem pretty "ok" to me, but I'm always open to new info, so...what do you know?

You figured it out. They don't last long, then they act like a winter coat. I don't ever just ride an hour and a half and don't really want to undress to re-wet the thing. Save your money.

"The Techniche is aPOS. Ask me how I know...."

Ok. I'll bite too; tell me more. I tried in vain to get some comparative comments between the Techniche and other brands, but nobody said a word.

My wife and I have used the Techniche vests on 4 or 5 short, hot trips, and I used mine on my SS1k last month.

I was a little disapointed that they didn't perform longer (1 to 2hrs depending on conditions), but at $30 compared to $100 for other makes, they seem pretty "ok" to me, but I'm always open to new info, so...what do you know?

"You figured it out. They don't last long, then they act like a winter coat. I don't ever just ride an hour and a half and don't really want to undress to re-wet the thing. Save your money."

Have you found/used one that performs better? If so, was it worth the

cost differential?

I thought about the "Silver Eagle" vest, but balked at the price.

I'm not married to the Techniche vest; if you know of a better one that

doesn't cost a mint I'd be glad to upgrade.

thumbsup.gif

Archived