IGNORED

Problems with Mounting Garmin 2610 on RT

Pictou

I have a Garmin 2610 that I attach to the Garmin motorcyle mount which is bolted to the BMR shelf. I thought this arrangement worked pretty well (and it did for several thousand kilometers) until I recently had the GPS pop out of the mount twice. Both times I hit a big sharp bump that appeared to bottom the front suspension. Luckily I was able to catch it both times.

Have others used the Garmin motorcycle mount without problem (maybe mine is defective)?

I am thinking I am going to have shell out for the touratech mount. Anyone comment on how good these mounts are?

Thanks

I've had the Garmin motorcycle mount bolted to a RAM ball adapter plate which I attach to a RAM ball mount with a RAM extension are (all the RAM parts are from Cyclegear.com) and the mount is on a billet aluminum plate between my handlebars from BMW of Santa Cruz. Works fine - no problem with Garmin mount in over 10,000 road miles on this setup. I always fasten down the little "torx" locking screw on top of the Garmin mount with the supplied mini-torx tool - I think that helps keep it attached and prevents tampering/theft.

have same set up as bobfv1. rock solid, low and sort of out of the way but within easy reach and eyesight line. cool engineering and was a piece of cake to set up. did not use the garmin holder but rather the one that came with the ram mount.

Are you tightening the torx screw that holds the release tab down? If so and it is still not secure then you may have a defective unit. It would take a lot of force to rip the 2610 out of the Garmin motorcycle mount I use, just can't imagine it possibly coming out by itself unless something is wrong somewhere.

Are you tightening the torx screw that holds the release tab down? If so and it is still not secure then you may have a defective unit. It would take a lot of force to rip the 2610 out of the Garmin motorcycle mount I use, just can't imagine it possibly coming out by itself unless something is wrong somewhere.

The screw was securely tightened. I thought the unit was very secure until I had a problem. When it popped out the first time I figured I must not have put it in properly. When it happened a second time I knew something was not right as I had taken pains to ensure it was properly seated. Maybe the RAM mount provides more dampening than the BMR shelf I am using. My theory is that when you hit a big enough bump (and these were really, really big bumps)the plastic of the unit deflects enough that it comes free of either the top catch or the bottom two tabs. My money is on the top catch. A generous application of Duct tape keeps it all together (even over the bone crusher bumps).

Guess I'll take a chance an order a new Garmin mount.

I had trouble like that with the shelf on an LT and GS. I decided it was the shelf and did away with it and have had no trouble with the BMW mount between the handle bars on the RT and had no trouble with the ram mounts on handle bars on several bikes.

Interesting. I have the Garmin mount mounted on an RCU (vs. BMR) shelf but as I mentioned the mount seems quite secure and I have never experienced a problem in spite of roads that shook the whole assembly so badly sometimes (the RCU shelf can vibrate on rough roads) that it looked like a paint mixer... but the security of the GPS in the mount itself was never in doubt.

I have my 2610 mounted to my BMR shelf with a RAM mount. I've not had any problems with it. I have the cradle, RAM-STD base and standard 3" arm. Check out cyclegadgets.com. I just want to figure how to put a shade on it.

Andrew,

I have exactly the same set up as you, and my unit has popped out when going over bumps two or three times. I now use a plastic tie (like these) to make sure nothing bad happens.

Andrew,

I have exactly the same set up as you, and my unit has popped out when going over bumps two or three times. I now use a plastic tie (like these) to make sure nothing bad happens.

Just wondering how you use that to keep it on. I had one of those in my hand but couldn't figure out how to use it without blocking the screen. Duct tape works fine but is pretty ugly.

Andrew

Andrew,

Just wondering how you use that to keep it on. I had one of those in my hand but couldn't figure out how to use it without blocking the screen. Duct tape works fine but is pretty ugly.

Andrew

The way that I do it does actually block the screen, but I quickly became used to it.

Archived