IGNORED

ER6i's verses EAR Inc. for longevity.

David_S

Has anyone been using the ER6's for several years problem free. I'm sending my Custom ear molds in to EAR Inc. for the fourth time this year. Three failures (one left and two right) and one new mold after a repair changed the fit. I know stuff happens but this is getting to the point that I just want to throw them in the trash because I figure they are going to quit while I'm on a long trip. I'm looking for an alternative but don't want to shell out the money if they aren't going to last at least two years, hopefully longer.

ShovelStrokeEd

I've had mine for about 1.5 years now. Never bothered fixing the EAR ones. I am just now having a bit of problem with the cord at the Y split. You can't let it flop in the breeze like you could with the others. Keep it tucked under your riding jacket and use an extention cord to your tank bag. Sound quality and isolation are both superior.

I'm going to buy a set of the ER6i's and send my ER6's back, along with the EAR molds to have those installed into the molds.

Now, a precaution, a lot of this depends on you ear shape and the depth and diameter of your canals. I would suggest a trip to a drug store and pick up a set of the swimmers ear plugs with similar shape to the Etymotics. Put 'em in on your next ride and see how well you tolerate them over longer periods. It took me a bit to make the adjustment as the custom molds are more comfortable by a bit.

David,

Sorry about the slight hijack, but what are you connecting the earphones to? Are you going direct to a music source or do you have them hooked to an Autocom?

Darrell

I'm sending my Custom ear molds in to EAR Inc. for the fourth time this year.
Mine are in for their second repair this year right now. I'm beginning to wish I'd gone the ER6 route, but it's money over the bridge so to speak.

I'm slightly confused (at least on this issue, let's leave the rest of my life for another time) about ER6 versus Ear Inc. When I go to earinc.com, they sell ER6's. Do they also sell another brand? What am I missing? From reading other threads I thought I could get a mold made and send it to them and they would install the ER6i's into plugs they made from my mold. Is this correct? Is this the way to go?

I have been using the ER6i on a daily basis for about six months now (commuting duty - probably equal to a couple years worth of pleasure use) and no problems so far. They get treated pretty roughly but seem to be holding up.

The Earinc. monitors are a configuration using a transducer similar to a hearing aid, they don't use an ER6 transducer in the custom monitors. They just selll the ER6 as a seperate product.

Mine are just back from Earinc. I've had them worked on about 4-5 times. I was using an Autocom mod that did not reduce the power of the Autocom output. I now have part 27, so hopefully I've taken care of the problem.

Darrell, right now I'm using an Intaride RP1 intercom with XM, V1, GPS and bike radio. They have also failed with just XM, V1, and GPS coming through a mixer.

Mine are just back from Earinc. I've had them worked on about 4-5 times. I was using an Autocom mod that did not reduce the power of the Autocom output. I now have part 27, so hopefully I've taken care of the problem.
That's interesting, did EARInc actually tell you they were damaged by too high level of a signal to them?

Actually Tom B from Autocom did in this thread. The EarInc. folks kept suspecting a moisture problem. I was using a mod on a 5 pin Autocom that Al recommended to me and it didn't have the step down on the power output. I now have part 27s, and my recently repaired monitors, but I haven't had a chance to put in any seat time with them both.

DavidEBSmith

I dunno about the ER6s, but one important thing about the EAR Inc. or similar earmolds (and sorry about this if you're having dinner): you really have to keep your ears clean. If you don't, you'll get wax in the little tubes from the speakers and they'll stop working.

You should check the earmolds before you insert them for waxy buildup. The EARInc ones come (at least mine did) with a little brush with a probe on it for removing wax from the sound tubes. If you're a person whose ears produce a lot of wax, earmold speakers muight be a problem for you.

Also, be gentle with them. Don't pull on the wire to remove them, pull on the mold itself. Be careful not to snag them on anything (I've always had a problem with closing my saddlebags on them and trying to walk away).

I've had multiple sets of the EARinc type earmolds and they tend to last me 2-3 years. Usually the wires start getting frayed where they go into the mold, or the mold gets damaged from getting caught on something.

Archived