IGNORED

Battery Issue with 12GS

David

My bike is about 18 months old (I think), and has 11,000 miles (I think). smile.gif Anywhoo, it cranked a little hard on a frosty morning at 8,500 feet in March. I kind of figured it deserved a break. Then the bike wouldn't start at the UnRally, and I figured I'd left something on or it was a fluke, even though I'd just stopped for lunch after riding 200 miles. I had to get road service that time.

So when I got home, I ordered a battery just in case. When it came, I charged it but didn't install it, since all the way home from the UnRally the bike ran as new.

I put it on the BMW special whoop double axle charger and it charged normally, showing me "green and good to go" within a half day or so. I checked it a week later, and the ominous light was flashing.

I go to start it today and the LCD lights up, barely, and there's no starter engagement. I know the brain disables the starter below a certain voltage, so I check the voltage and it's 6.3 v. eek.gif

I swap batteries and all is fine with the world. Except I don't know whether to quit trusting this stupid charger or just assume I had a defective battery. It ain't right when a battery goes that quickly.

ClearwaterBMW

david

if you are asking about the 18 month old battery (because i wasn't quite sure which battery went bad)

then........

18 months is all you get

to tell you the truth, before the age of GEL batteries..... i got a new battery every year

i call it cheap insurance

i don't want to get stuck somewhere

and.....

that 18 month old battery

it was more like a year older than that because you they don't take a BRAND NEW battery off the shelf at the factory

it was already old when they put it in your bike

we all spend so much money on these bikes

just save money for a new battery every year

that way....... it will never fail you

greg

Well, I'll have to disagree with you on your battery expectations. Eighteen months and 11,000 miles is way to early for a modern AGM battery to expire, and it would be very unusual in relation to the experience of others here, too, no?

ClearwaterBMW

i guess i better get educated because i always equate motorcycle batteries to car batteries..... and i know they don't last long

now, david..... i guess we have to know that i live in florida

and i know that the heat of this place definitely CUTS DOWN on the life of any battery of course

if i can save money...... i'd like to

greg

David,

As you well know, most of our batteries last about 3.5-4 years. You had a bad one/hopefully the new one will last as it should.

As you well know, most of our batteries last about 3.5-4 years. You had a bad one/hopefully the new one will last as it should.

That's kind of what I'm thinking. If it doesn't turn out to be true, I'm going to start an international battery recall campaign. smile.gif

--Alex

You probably ought to park that electronic nightmare and ride something dependable,like a POS KLR grin.gif

I put a battery in the RT every year until I finally replaced the starter eek.gif The first one went bad within the first week of ownership.I'm afraid to figure out how many years the last battery has been in the bike,probably jinx it.Never use the charger on it anymore.

I would guess the battery was screwed up,but its possible something in the electronics was sticking on and running the battery down,disconnect the battery and the offending component resets until the next time it sticks. eek.gif

You probably ought to park that electronic nightmare and ride something dependable,like a POS KLR grin.gif

grin.gif

I would guess the battery was screwed up,but its possible something in the electronics was sticking on and running the battery down,disconnect the battery and the offending component resets until the next time it sticks. eek.gif

I'm just hoping I can isolate the problem before the next Mexico trip or I'll trade it for a case of tequila and a burro and be done with it! smile.gif

David, I know your testing showed that the battery charger did "maintain" the battery. But mine didn't. Once charged it wouldn't maintain or start charging regardless of how I tried to get to do it.

Now I think it's possible that the battery is just crap. That's the only way to explain the no-start after 200mi unless you left something on over lunch. There was some talk in MCN that Yuasa was having some issues.

If you're worried... it's possible that something is drawing current that you don't know about...hook your fluke up on the 10A setting with the bike off, how much current are you drawing? Futz with your accessories see what happens.

To get only 6 volts, you have 3 cells that are damaged/dead. Even a very old battery will show 12 volts, just no more storage capacity. Me thinks a bad battery.

It ain't right when a battery goes that quickly.

I this happens to bikes that are transported on trailers. The diesel fumes from the tow vehicle wipe out the battery. grin.gif

I have had a dead battery four times already. Twice was too many things hard wired to the battery, that I forgot to turn off, but twice was because of that STUPID STUPID feature of being able to turn on the lights after you shut off the bike. The way I have my autocom cable coming from under the seat, with the headphone adapter on the left side of the tank, the left turn signal will frequently contact the adapter when I turn the wheel, turning on the headlight, tail light, motolight. In full sunshine, if I dont look, I dont see it. Really an irritating feature.

Which brings up a question, with the fuel injection and electronics on the bike, CAN it be push started in a pinch?

this happens to bikes that are transported on trailers. The diesel fumes from the tow vehicle wipe out the battery.
LOL! Touché!

I'm beginning to think David, Russell, Knapp need to form dieselbmwbiketowing.com wink.gif

Seriously though, my GS had a reluctant battery at El Paseo in the spring (temps below freezing that night.) It did barely crank over and I've had no issues with it since. The RT's battery is 3 years old and works just fine. I do use the Battery Tender on the RT and the BMW dedicated charger on the GS.

I'm beginning to think David, Russell, Knapp need to form dieselbmwbiketowing.com

I've never towed my bike behind my truck. :P

but twice was because of that STUPID STUPID feature of being able to turn on the lights after you shut off the bike. The way I have my autocom cable coming from under the seat, with the headphone adapter on the left side of the tank, the left turn signal will frequently contact the adapter when I turn the wheel, turning on the headlight, tail light, motolight. In full sunshine, if I dont look, I dont see it. Really an irritating feature.

It shouldn't turn on the headlight, and the motolight only if it is wired to be turned on by the taillight or the parking light. The feature is intended for turning on the parking lights, front and rear, and that's what it does.

On later hexheads (RT and ST) you need to hold down the indicator for about 5 seconds for it to work, which would be far preferable on the GS as well. I've heard that a software update is available for the GS which will change it to a 5-second press instead of a very short press. Has anyone had this update?

There have been several other stories about dead batteries, where BMW has replaced them under warranty. They should not die after a year or so.

David, your bike can't be 18 months old. Mine was delivered in early April '04, and you were waiting for yours at the time.

Motolite is wire up to the parking light. My headlights Do come of if the turn signal is pressed. A 5 second delay would for sure be preferable! I will have to ask the dealer if a software upgrade is available for that, I am sure I will hear ( never heard of that before!)

David, your bike can't be 18 months old. Mine was delivered in early April '04, and you were waiting for yours at the time.

Well, I said I didn't remember. smile.gif But that's even worse--one year for the battery! smile.gif

Why didn't you have BMW replace it under warranty?

Hassle. Battery was $80 (I don't remember that, either), and it took 5 mins to replace.

$80? Did you order it from BMW?

Nice thing about the GS, it's a standard Yuasa battery. smile.gif

I ordered the battery you suggested, from some place on the internet. smile.gif Maybe it was less. Like I said, I don't remember. Sue me. On your birthday, no less!

ClearwaterBMW
$80? Did you order it from BMW?

Nice thing about the GS, it's a standard Yuasa battery. smile.gif

about WHICH GS are you speaking

because my '05 1200GS came with the new AGM battery

am i alone in this phenomenon?

greg

Unless you ride at least once a week for an extended period above idle, the battey power level will slowly decrease over time. If you have multiple bikes then the problem just gets bigger.

Some years ago I decided to buy a few Battery Tender Plus's and I keep all my bikes plugged in when they are not being ridden. On the 12GS you need to connect the BTPLus leads directly to the battery. The benefits I have noticed are: better starting, battery life greater than 3 years, and when a battery does start to go you can tell becuase it will take a long time to get to float charge or will never get to float charge. Better to see a battery failure on the chager then on the bike!

I am sure other charges will provide the same benefits as the BTPlus's.

I think the BMW fancy shmancy expensive charger doohicky for the 12GS is an overpriced POS tongue.gif. Of course that is only my humble opinion.

Marshall

Ft Lauderdale

ClearwaterBMW

your opinion is correct about that bmw-new model

but... this jackass (that's ME) just bought one

impulse buying..... I LOVE IT !!!!!!

and that dealership loves me

i don't they've ever sold one except to me

dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

greg

ShovelStrokeEd

David,

What you describe is typical failure mode for these fancy batteries. They have almost no entropy curve to speak of. They work fine right up until they go kaput and then its all she wrote.

I'm going back to lead acid for all my bikes while I can still get them. The battery in my '94 lasted 4 years, the battery in my K100 was good for almost 6. I'll deal with the pollution issues of disposal, I have about 15 on shelves in my shop now. At least I'll get some warning that the dang thing is on its way out. I don't mind topping up every now and again.

about WHICH GS are you speaking

because my '05 1200GS came with the new AGM battery

am i alone in this phenomenon?

*THE* new AGM battery? AGM is a technology. Many batteries use it.

'05 1200GS Yuasa YTX14-BS Maintence Free battery.

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/faqs.asp?action=1&id=25

What does "VRLA/MF/AGM/SLA" or "Standard SLI" refer to on the BTY01 Digital Battery Tester

"VRLA" stands for Valve Regulated Lead Acid, "MF" stands for Maintenance-Free, "AGM" stands for Absorbed Glass Mat, and "SLA" stands for Sealed Lead Acid. All 4 of these terms basically refer to the same type of battery. An example of this would be the Yuasa YTX series. These batteries are typically all black in color.

"Standard SLI" (Starting, Lighting and Ignition) refers to any standard, non-sealed battery. In this case SLI refers to older style batteries used for powersports type vehicles. An example of this battery would be Yuasa's 12N-series or YB-series (Yumicron) type batteries. These batteries are typically white with a black top, and with yellow or green acid filling caps.

David, wow, $60 seems about right.

I am going to add a battery to my spare parts travel kit, just in case.

Here is a list below for those interested:

1) final drive (regular failure item)

2) ABS control unit (frequently fail and cause crashes)

3) headlight assembly (usually shattered during road trips)

5) alloy rims, 1ea F/R (easily bent from potholes, etc.)

6) battery (could strand you with no warning)

Please let me know if I should be carrying anything else.

dopeslap.gif

A 5 second delay would for sure be preferable! I will have to ask the dealer if a software upgrade is available for that, I am sure I will hear ( never heard of that before!)

I was at the dealer today, and they were busy prepping a new R1200GS. So I took the opportunity to try the parking light. The newest models come with a 5-second delay before it switches on the light. However, the techs had not heard of a software upgrade, but they don't always know what the updates to their test equipment do to the bikes.

Archived