IGNORED

looking for a K12RS

haddoncoach

Hi,

I am an R1100RT rider who is looking at "upgrading" to the K12RS. My budget will permit a bike from 1998-2000 based on prices I have seen (approx $8500). Are there some years that I should be aware of (eg: "avoid")? Is there a distinct advantage to just buying the newest one I can afford? Are miles an issue - as an RT owner I feel like miles are not a consideration until you reach the 75K range and even then not always so if maintained by a competent mechanic. I will be using the bike for weekends and 1-2 commutes a week and a 1000 mile trip per year. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Noel - NJ

While I can not offer you a bike that is for sale, I made the change to the mighty "K" about a year ago. You will never look back. Very smooth, easier shifting, gobs of power. The riding position is very different the RT is like sitting on a saddle on a nice gentle horse and the K is like being a jocky on a race horse. Very different positions.

Enjoy your decision.

Howard

There is one @ Miller BMW used blue in color. Do not know what year or $$$$. So it this weekend. Trade for something. Call 850-504-2390.

The early examples (98) had some ‘beta testing’ issues but these should have been taken care of through service recalls and regular maintenance. Other than that I don’t think there were any ‘bad’ years. The fairing and brakes changed in 2002 I think so, if you can find one within budget, I’d recommend 02+. On any year check the timing cover maintenance history, a notoriously leaky spot. Input/output shaft seals deserve a spot check as well on high milers. And make sure that both cooling fans are working. And the condition of the shocks, relatively pricy routine replacement items.

A different style of riding compared to the RT, but if fits you it is an absolutely excellent motorcycle.

Take a look at the Cycle Trader web site. I picked up a 98 KRS with 16,000 miles and Ohlins for under $8,000 last month over there.

There's a lot of them available, now that the "S" is in the dealers showrooms.

Noel

grew up in Atlantic City (26 yrs.)

went to H.S.H.S.

went to rutgers for college

lived at 3400 pacific have - my dad was a urologist in atlantic city

e-mailed you on a K I have for sale so if interested let me know

Mike Perez

Dublin, Ohio

I kow where an '02 Silver/red one is...

less than 6K miles...

RB racing Black Hole kit and aftermarket exhaust.

Runs/sounds great $11000 or owner will put back to stock and sell for $10000. Beautiful bike.

It's in N.Fla. near an airport tongue.gif

PM me if interested.

Tallman,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, we are about 1500 miles and $2000 apart. ( the $ bothers me more than the miles though)

Thanks again

Noel - NJ

My dealer in NH has one -- just like you ordered!

K1200RS

PS. I've seen, touched, and tasted this one. You HAVE to see it for yourself! Or take my word for it, very very clean and looks like new!

Archived