IGNORED

Things to SEE in Western Upstate NY

Kathy R

Did you know Western NY holds the Grand Canyon of the East? Have you seen Niagra Falls? How about the Antique Boat museum (old, wood, indescribable workmanship, take your breath away) in Clinton NY. Want to see the earliest fastest motorcycle and it's friends in Hammondsport NY at the foot of Keuka Lake? Want to ride around each of the Fingerlakes, stop in at Watkins Glen?

http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/info.asp?parkID=12

http://www.abm.org/exhibit-spotlight.asp

http://www.glennhcurtissmuseum.org/

Yes, I love NY. I'm from Canandaigua.

:thumbsup: What she says!!!! Used to live there and except for the flatness of the terrain in that part of the sate, it's pretty cool. Don't forget the Erie Canal and all the wineries around the beautiful Finger Lakes too.

Hi Kath - thanks for the post. My wife (also Kathy)and I have been researching the area via the web for several weeks now in preparation for a mini holiday in the Finger Lakes area this summer. Canandaigua area rings a bell as I think there may be a camp ground in that area that we were considering. At this point in our plans we expect to settle into the Ithaca area and use it as a hub for exploring . We love the ambiance created by university towns. I know I'll lose my wife for several hours in the bookstores there.

We're overwhelmed by the things to see and do along Lake Erie and in the Finger Lakes area including an incredible number of hiking trails. And BarNone - it's the Erie Canal system that first got us interested in checking out the area so a lot of our time will be exploring the canal towns including the aquaduct in Rochester and the barge weigh station along the route. I grew up on the St. Lawrence River and it seems I'm always drawn to the water. We're looking forward to "scootering" back and forth along the Finger Lakes roads this summer.

Another great little town in the Finger Lakes is Skaneateles (pronounced "Skinny Atlas"), right on the northern tip of the lake by the same name. We've stayed there several times and really liked it, and great riding in and around there throughout the Lakes.

http://www.skaneateles.com/

Now you are talking! These are great spots and I live in Camillus, NY -- just a hop, skip and jump from Skaneateles -- one of the coolest towns and most beautiful lakes around. Ithaca is gorges (it's a bumper sticker). I call it the "Land Time Forgot". It reminds me of the 60's in lot's of ways -- all good.

And Rocer -- anyone with an avatar of a Bug Eye Sprite is a friend of mine. What a great little car. I raced one at the Watkins Glen in the 60's and came in 3rd. It was a 3 car race, unfortunately.

When are you coming through -- we'd love to meet you and go for a ride.

BarNone - we're still planning but departure will be at the last minute as both our businesses are seasonal making it hard to plan too far ahead. We hope sometime in July/Aug. or perhaps early fall and of course weather dependent. That's the way our summers go. Especially pleased to hear about "Skinny Atlas" (thanks MarcoPolo). I'd given up on trying to pronounce it - and this coming from a guy who lives on Lake Kashagawigamog.

BarN. we've added your name to the Finger Lakes file and will touch base with you when our plans get sorted out (realize you'll be away for UNrally). It would be nice to connect. After 2 winters in the shop launched SNUGNABUG last summer. We made it to Mosport (did you ever race there?) for a vintage race weekend and were registered for a parade lap but the races were canceled after an accident. A family friend used to race his TR4 at Watkins Glenn so I've heard many a story about the track which is part of my fascination with the area. And if you raced vintage we'll have to get you up next winter for an ice racing experience. BTW - read your profile and there's also a kayak course abt. 3km away from us.

Woodie - Kathy R. can probably tell you about the bridge keepers in Chicago racing through traffic to get to their next bridge. We first considered renting one of the canal barges in the Lock Port area but, apart from too expensive for our budget, we didn't think we could commit to a specific week. That whole area seems to fit our style of biking - poking around in interesting towns. We're getting pretty excited about the prospect.

And of course we'll have to dismount in Rochester and kiss the ground for Jacqueline.

But I should stop hijacking this thread as I think it's intended for those traveling through to the UNrally.

beemerman2k

I discovered motorcycling when I was in high school at Rome Free Academy in Rome, NY. I rode my 1977 Kawasaki KZ400 all over New York State back in those days. In fact, I remember when BMW introduced the R100RT, and I fell in love with that bike. That bike is what made me finally buy a R1100RT. Touring and seeing new places has always been my favorite application of my riding passion.

Anyhow, some of my favorite rides were the Finger Lakes region, including Letchworth State Park (did I spell that properly?). If you really want to see the Grand Canyon of the east, check out this place. It's no Niagra Falls, but it's still quite a sight -- well it was as of 1979 when I was last there, some 30 years ago!

"except for the flatness of the terrain in that part of the state"...

BarNone, I live in Chicago where the only hills and lean opportunities are the cloverleafs on the Eisenhower expressway! :grin: I don't see *flat* when I'm in that part of NY.

Hi Everybody

Very cool that you guys actually raced on that track at Watkins Glen!

Hyjacks are just fine with me, not to worry.

I'm not up on the bridge news in this city. I know you can (or could) rent the little buildings and have an intimate dinner served there for $$$. I should take a look this year when they bring the boats out to the lake and each bridge is lifted one after the other. There are 38!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_River

Beemerman, Letchworth (looks right to me) is just as gorgeous (pun intended) as ever. Last time I went through there on the pilion (OUCH) seat of my brothers FXSTS with Ron B along on his R1100RT.

Karen Knapp is from the Rochester area too. That's two smooches for the ground.

Rocer, I hope you and Kathy have a wonderful time exploring! There is a nice bike/running path along the canal in Pittsford, NY. and great little shops and places to get a nice lunch.

http://townofpittsford.org/home-discover.

Hah! Western, NY (I lived in Lockport for 4 years) is flat but by comparison to Illinois, it's the Rockies. I spent 4 years in Normal, Illinois (an oxymoron if there ever was one) and the locals would say, "It's the only place that's so flat, you can watch your dog run away for 3 days!". Of course, that was after they harvested the corn and soy beans.

This is fun. Can't wait to meet you all.

Bemerman2, you coming to tech daze in Connecticut?

Rocer, I didn't own the Sprite -- it was my friends and we were at a track day where the "club" had the course for a day. I used to own, fix, drive and fix again Fiat Spyders and MGB's. Lot's of stories -- mostly funny and some bad. Definitely let us know when you plan to head this way.

grew up in the central finger lakes. attended college in ithaca. no such thing as western upstate IMO, but all the suggestions are good. have fun.

...no such thing as western upstate IMO ...

Why?

My reasoning is that I lived in Albany for 9 years and I differenciate that as Eastern Upstate NY. Being born in Canandaigua, I differentiate that as Western upstate NY. Anything that is not Upstate is the city of New York. Otherwise, in my experience, the rest of the nation get's confused.

Am I wrong? Is there a better way to refer to these places? I haven't lived in NY since 1970.

I lived in Rochester, Newar, Albany, Old Forge in the Adirondacks, Lockport, Oswego (don't ask) and now near Syracuse. They are all "Upstate" by NYC standards but to me, they could be different states! -- the weather, terrain, even the accents are significantly different!

I am with Kathy R on this one.

Why?

My reasoning is that I lived in Albany for 9 years and I differenciate that as Eastern Upstate NY. Being born in Canandaigua, I differentiate that as Western upstate NY. Anything that is not Upstate is the city of New York. Otherwise, in my experience, the rest of the nation get's confused.

Am I wrong? Is there a better way to refer to these places? I haven't lived in NY since 1970.

simply, being from cny i considered anything north of the turnpike upstate. original post wasn't meant to offend as i actually don't care much what it's called.

RichEdwards

Too many think of Manhattan only when they think of New York State. But it's one of the few states that can brag about magnificent beaches (why do you think all those giga-billionaires head for the Hamptons every summer), great mountain ranges (with great ski areas, one of which hosted the Winter Olympics), the Great Lakes, Niagra Falls, tons of historical sites. I lived in NYS for most of my life and I miss most of it...the pizza especially. I don't miss the winters or the taxes.

how about missing the chicken wings, the beef on wick (western, NY only!), snow plows bigger than buildings and the 5th season--Slush!

10-4 on the wings. we have a place here that brings back memories. the owner is from rochester. heid's hot dogs are missed as well.

i considered anything north of the turnpike upstate

A unique viewpoint, but atleast, now understood.

I've been looking at Real Estate in Ontario County, on line, all day. ;)

Elderly father, brothers, cousins, rural living, land, dogs, open roads,...

and the fact that I can always come back. :thumbsup:

Why?

You are correct Kathy, anyone living north of Yonkers is technically an "upstate" person, to identify that you don't live in the city.

Unless you're one of the "north snobs", in which case "upstate" is anywhere north of some poor downstater that they're trying to gain "status" on...........personally I don't understand the "status" of it all........ :wave:

In NH they call it the "Flannel Line".

I'm not familiar with the "turnpike" concept that was referred to by BFish. I don't know where the "turnpike" is, and I travel the state regularly from end to end. Maybe he means Thruway?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
DavidEBSmith
Did you know Western NY holds the Grand Canyon of the East? Have you seen Niagra Falls? How about the Antique Boat museum (old, wood, indescribable workmanship, take your breath away) in Clinton NY. Want to see the earliest fastest motorcycle and it's friends in Hammondsport NY at the foot of Keuka Lake? Want to ride around each of the Fingerlakes, stop in at Watkins Glen?

http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/info.asp?parkID=12

http://www.abm.org/exhibit-spotlight.asp

http://www.glennhcurtissmuseum.org/

I was looking at that first site trying to plan my route and when you zoom out on the map of the Grand Canyon of the East, you find there are places in the area named:

Texaco Town

Suicide Corners

Toggletown

Persons Corners

Bliss

Punkshire Corners

Java Center

Sucker Brook

:grin:

Archived