IGNORED

Satellite Radio, Comm System Recommendations

2wheeler

No more yelling into my helmet to speak with my wife. I have a SP III and a V1 and want a music source. I'm thinking satellite radio and know almost nothing about MP3 players. I ride an 02 RT and hope to buy an 06 KGT, so I will need portability.

What is the experience of this board with satellite radio? Which subscription/service provider? Which unit/receiver? Earplug speakers vs. in-helmet speakers?

How about comm systems? Autocom quoted me $670 for their top of the line model with all the cables. The Baehr unit is around $1150 with the cables. We tried a Baehr system mounted on an FJR at the rally and it was nice. But is it that nice? For those of you with the Baehr units, how do you like them, do they perform as advertised? Thanks in advance.

Roady2 XM radio... period. I like the J&M CB2003 comm system. It's all in one (CB. intercom and audio inputs). Contact Sean at cycle gadgets, he's getting the powder coating done on the NEW mounts for the J&M to the hydralics resv. on the 1150's and 1200's. My .02 there.

Roady2 XM radio... period.

Maybe. Maybe not. I've had both and found the music to be pretty similar. But there are radically different programming choices in the non-music stuff, especially in sports. If you are an NFL fan, XM would be a bad choice. If you like NASCAR, Sirius would be a bad choice. And so on.

I had XM and switched to Sirius because I found myself turning left all the time and I was getting dizzy. smile.gif

I have the Baehr UltimaXL in my '04 RT and I like it now that I finally have the ignition noise problem whipped. I bought the Baehr specifically because of the interface with the BMW (Clarion) radio/cassette player. I had to run the Baehr cables as far away from the engine as possible and power it directly to the battery with shielded cables. I also installed a Newmar PC-10 noise filter for good measure. I can now listen to classical music and not hear any noise through the system. If you want to ask me questions about the Baehr, email/PM me. BTW, you can get the Baehr a little cheaper than MSRP through MotoGear4You.com (Raffy-K). I'll tell you what ... there is nothing like being able to listen to your music, talk to your riding buddies on a 2-way radio, receive & make cell phone calls, receive audio GPS instructions & radar alerts, and listen to your wife (passenger??) complain about her small bladder on those long rides! Good luck with your purchase. thumbsup.gif

I opted for XM Radio and like it. I chose the SkiFi2 over the Roady because I wanted a unit I could move between the bike, the car, and the home kit. I would choose whichever service has the programming you like.

I have not tried the Baehr but I have had good luck with the Autocom Active 7 Sport. So far I use the intercom, the hookup to the onboard stereo on my LT (I also tried hooking up a portable CD player and it worked fine), and an FRS radio. No GPS yet.

It does seem less expensive than the Baehr but the individual cables do add to the cost, so I'd price the systems with all the hookups and cables, not just the base units.

I was given the XM2GO satellite radio for fathers day and I really like it. No need for a radio to transmit to and extremely portable. I've been sticking the receiver inside the map pouch of my tank bag but would prefer some kind of mount on the bars but don't know what would work on the R1100RT. Any suggestions? All the Ram-mount units seem to be geared towards the GS tubular bars.

Crestwood330

New to the list,

I just bought a new 05 K12LT 2 weeks ago and installed XM Satellite Radio on it.

I used my Original Roady from my 03 Gold Wing. The Roady2 is a darker color on the case and the scroll button on the upper right is easier to use than the original Roady. It also has the smallest antenna of all of the XM units.

I've had the service for 4 years now and still love it. I have XM on my 05 BMW 330ci Convertible where it works through the original head unit and all of the steering wheel controls, same on my 05 Toyota Prius, Have the XM Commander on my 04 Santa Fe and the Roady on the LT.

I opted for the 2 year plan and added or deleted XM units without any hassel from XM Customer Service. Its now 12.95 a month for the first unit and 6.95 for any additional units upto 4 units (called the family plan).

What I have done to install the Roady on the LT, I used the plug and 3 foot wiring harness kit used on the BMW Automobiles number 65 120 153 501 to install an iPod. It is a direct drop in for a 3.5mm female auxillary connection for all of the Business 2000 radios used on the BMW Motorcycles. I pulled this information from the K bike section on this board. It does work, but it still needs a signal booster like boostaroo to help on the volume end. With the Roady power level set on 9, its still a bit lacking on the upper volume range. It enough to hear on the highway at full volume by itself, but could be taken up a notch.

I was able to connect the cable to the open socket in the back of the radio and run the wire along the rest of the wiring harness out of the radio box. I then ran the cable down the left side of the "stingray" to make all of my connections. I then ran the power cord, antenna cord and the output lead up to the XM Roady mounted just above the radio controls. I also used a ground loop isolator to eliminate the alternator whine and a fused power lead with a converter to take the 12V down to 6V. Cycle gadgets basically takes the internals from the XM cigarette lighter power unit, installs a fuse and 2 wound pigtails in a small box you can get from radio shack so you can have a direct connection to a power source on the bike for a cleaner installation. I installed the antenna on the center of the top trunk with velcro just behind the backrest, ran the cable up with the original harness to the upper trunk.

I will post how I installed the unit with photos soon.

I listen to XM more than regular radio now. When something big is going on the news channels are nice to have, 125 the Weather Channel, 227 Atlanta Traffic and Weather (a must have for me) and my favorite 150 XM Comedy.

Dave Allen

the wiring kit you mentioned...i've been looking and called local bmw car dealer as well as audio sound installation places. does this fit on the preinstalled radio harness on our moto's? i have an 04 rt w/ harness for radio but sans radio, and tried to find a connection so i could use that harness for other goodies...gps, etc.

Since I have had sat radio for 2 months now, I can't say which one is better. I went with XM after advice from some forum members. All I can say is, I have not listened to regular radio since. thumbsup.gif

Crestwood330

The Aux Cable 65 120 153 501 fits into the connector locking assembly on the OEM harness. You have to remove the blue u shaped retainer clip, slide in the 10 pin connector on the harness and re-install the blue u shaped retainer clip.

The new harness can be run along side the OEM harness to the outside of the radio box.

The BMW "Car harness" only adds an auxillary 3.5mm stereo female connection to the radio. I understand the Becker radios from the past few years will accept this harness. I have an 05 K12LT and this information was from someone installing it on earlier K-LTs and R11xRT including the new R12RT.

If you have the Comm system there is a similar aux connection point for you accessories, plus you have the intercom among other items built in.

All I needed and wanted at this time was an aux connection which allows me to install my XM Roady. I will probably go with the Autocomm Unit for intercom and bike to bike in the future.

Dave

2005 K12LT

Graphite

Archived