IGNORED

Opinions on Pay Pal service

ridergirl

I am considering ordering a pair of Bestem bag liners thru Cruiserbackrest.com and they use Pay Pal for their credit card customers. I have never used this service and I was wondering if anyone could help me out with comments, good or bad? Thank you.

They are really good until things go bad, and then they are bad--very bad. Seriously, there's no in between, because if there's a problem, their customer service sucks, largely because they work too hard at automating it.

I only use them occasionally, but I've had an account for 5+ years. Never a problem. Just watch out for scam e-mails. Paypal will send you a reminder to this effect every so often.

Keep your password secure, and don't forget to update your account if your e-mail address changes.

I try to avoid them whenever possible. Although I have never had a problem, I view them as an generally unecessary intermediary. They do have value for many situations, but they also force people to use them to clear all transactions through them regardless of whether they also accept Visa, MC, etc. (This is per retailers to whom I complain) I have too many passwords and logins to remember as it is.

I have used it several times, and find it reasonably convenient. If you trust the vendor, PayPal is very good. (Given the fact that several people have reported on their Bestem bags, the vendor you mentioned seems to be trustworthy.)

You can get in a bit deeper with PayPal, and give them your bank account information. Among other things, this allows you to be paid by their system. I would rather use my credit card than have my bank account debited for payments, but PayPal would rather debit my bank account, so I always have to go through a few extra mouse clicks to make sure the money comes from the right source. Minor hassle.

I have not been involved in their dispute resolution system, but have heard or read dissatisfied buyers and vendors. So, I recommend either sticking with vendors you trust, or small purchases.

I have used paypal for many years. almost since they went live. So far I would rate them one of my top resources. I run one of the largest volleyball clubs in the southeast. We have tournaments almost every weekend. Everyone pays me via paypal, it is awesome.

the comments above are correct, just like any on-line business there are risks, keep everything secure, make sure you change passwords once in awhile, do not ever answer any e-mails asking for information and in my opinion you are good to go.

David maybe correct, but in six years I have never had an issue that was not resolved easily. Anyone who registers for my tournament and does not show, I just go in and click on refund and it is done. I do not know how many months of data is kept on-line, but I think i just did a 16 months search and found what I was looking for.

also i believe sean daley and cycle gadgets both have used paypal for years, so they might be good resources to check, as I am sure they have many more transactions than I would, and they probably have more disputes.

I had a paypal transaction go bad. They did suck.

Once the money is out of the other person's paypal account they can't do much other than ban the person from paypal.

But honestly in the end I did get my money back. Paypal did their best. And that is/was their policy.

I've done enough with it that now I pay some fee, regardless of how the buyer funds his/her payment. frown.gif

I've been using Pay Pal for over 5 years and like it. I use it to buy stuff both here on bmwrt.com and eBay. I also use it to receive money for the things I sell. I'd recommend it to anyone. thumbsup.gif

I've found Paypal to be a reliable way to send and receive money. It can be linked to a bank account for debit type withdraws. If you do any ebay auctions Paypal is a lot easier than waiting for people to mail payments to you. They tend to pay faster with an instant method of payment. As mentioned in a previous reply, watch for spam email posing as Paypal. It looks very real and a lot of people fall for the "give us your account info" scam.

I use paypal as both a consumer and a vendor. So far (knocking on wood), I've not had any problems.

As a consumer, I like it. I buy quite a few small-ticket items through paypal and it is very convenient.

As a vendor (DIYmoto.com) I love it. They really make transacting money, communicating with customers, shipping product and keeping track of orders a breeze.

Actually, if they use PayPal to clear a credit card payment, you do not necessarily need to sign up for a PayPal account.

One of our local clubs processes on-line payments through PayPal but people buying/paying do not need a PayPal account.

PayPal, as a credit card processing mechanism, is farily secure. Provided you trust the retailer you are buying from you should be OK.

Just watch out for scam e-mails. Paypal will send you a reminder to this effect every so often.

I NEVER click on any link regarding Paypal I get in e-mail. I always open a browser and manually type in www.paypal.com.

Easiest way to avoid getting scammed.

You have pretty much the full range of Paypal evaluations so far. Just stick with vendors you trust and you will have no problems with it. I have used it probably 150 times for all kinds of transactions, and I have never had any trouble.

I've been buying and selling on eBay for quite some time now and use PayPal as frequently as possible. In the age of automation I find it very convenient.

Like others have said, sure, you can get into trouble with it, but what can't you get into trouble with online these days. Just don't use it as your financial home base and you should be ok.

I will emphatically repeat what someone has already mentioned - watch out for e-mails from the unscrupulous identity theft people asking you to "update your password" or saying "your account will be disabled if you don't reply within 24 hours by clicking this link". These are attempts to gain access to your account and should be avoided at all costs!

Again, ~ DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINK IN ANY E-MAIL IF IT'S FROM SOMEONE YOU DON'T KNOW!!!! ~

Worse case scenario, you can always forward the suspected offending e-mail to their investigation department ( spoof@paypal.com ) and they will e-mail you a response to let you know whether or not it's a legitimate e-mail from PayPal. In case you need it, eBay has the same setup ( spoof@ebay.com ).

I'm sure if you have any questions you can ask around for advise and guidance. Like the comment below says, "the only dumb question there is, is the one that you never ask".

Archived