IGNORED

LCD Display + Polarized Sunglasses + Visor = Problem

Scarver

I wear prescription sunglasses with polarized lenses. During daytime riding the computer display is next to useless because it cannot be read unless the sun is coming from behind. The only critical information I use while riding is the trip odo showing miles since last fill up (I look for station when odo exceeds 260 miles.) During recent trip to Black Canyon at Gunnison National Park I almost missed the Check Oil Level warning (page 41) that kept popping up while going down the 16% grade road to the river.

At night the display is crisp and clear so have considered locating and covering the sensor that turns on the backlighting. However, that light may not be strong enough to help during the day. Lifting the helmet visor helps but only marginally.

Have any of you experienced this problem?

Has anyone come up with a solution to improve the readability of the LCD display?

Do you have to wear polarized glasses for some medical reason? Otherwise, ditch 'em. They're measurably more dangerous when riding a motorcycle. Not because of the display, but because it removes all the sheen that helps you identify slippery places.

I'm having the exact same problem and I agree with David. It is caused by the polarized sunglasses. I don't have the problem when I don't have my sunglasses on or when I wear my cheapo Walmart non-polarized sunglasses.

Thanks for the excellent feedback and recommendations. As you probably surmised, I'm new to motorcycling - 13 months and only 14,800 miles (8100 mi on the RT since end of May!)

I wear polarized sunglasses because in my other passion - racing sailboats - you don't want to be blinded by the sun's reflection off the water.

Time to get another pair of sunglasses!

Do you have to wear polarized glasses for some medical reason? Otherwise, ditch 'em. They're measurably more dangerous when riding a motorcycle. Not because of the display, but because it removes all the sheen that helps you identify slippery places.

Never thought of that

Thanks

Steve Carter

Do you have to wear polarized glasses for some medical reason?

Um, ya, actually it helps a TON.

But OTOH, the display on the GS and the GPS both work OK for me.

Archived