IGNORED

Rain Gear

Deaner

I need some advice on what rain gear to wear over my regular riding gear. I become hot very easily and don't mind the cold as much so I got some mesh riding gear with a water resistant warm liner. Someone recommended a fisherman-type PVC rain two piece suit with the hood cut enough to stuff up my helmet. I went to the local Army Surplus store and found an item made by Carhart that would definitely keep out the rain but didn't seem to pack down very well which will be an issue when I road trip two up or even alone.

Another rain suit was brighter yellow and had big reflective strips along the arm and back but also had pit vents, a back vent between the shoulders, and a slit in the pocket to allow access to inner clothing. Not very rain proof.

Does anyone have a particular rain suit in mind that would keep

out the rain and pack light? Thanks for the help.

Another vote for frogg toggs. Just used them on my 4000 mile Sturgis trip. They keep the rain out, don't roast you, and pack down very small.

Regards,

Rick

I've tried them all, from the original "yellow bird" PVC to my later dark charcoal Frog Toggs. Can't beat togs for being totally waterproof & compressing down to the size of a football. Have travelled 800 miles in a downpour & stayed dry in Toggs. They've got my vote! crazy.gif

Just be sure to keep them away from any hot pipes, heads, etc. dopeslap.gif it is amazing how fast they melt. tongue.gif I love mine also and I got the orange color for better visibility.

D

ShovelStrokeEd

The BMW Klima Komofort rain suit has been my choice for the last couple of years. When you get up off the floor at the price, you will be rewarded with a real rain suit, designed by people who have some understanding of foul weather gear.

First off, it uses Gortex membrane as the waterproof medium. It is sewn as a laminte with the shell material which is a lightweight nylon mesh. It is thus much less of a sauna then any of the PVC suits. It is constructed as a riding suit so it fits nicely on the bike, has a long jacket so it doesn't ride up and allow your ass to get wet. The zip on the jacket is protected by a U shaped storm flap underneath a wide overlap velcro closure so virtually no water will penetrate in even torrential rain. Collar is high with a huge overlapping flap and velcor closure that is lined with a corduroy like substance to ease comofort at the neck.

All adds up to a lot of versatility. I carry mine folded up into an Eagle Creek packing cube and it makes a permanent resident in my left saddle bag or my tail trunk when I'm running bagless. On a cool night, I just slip it on over the Airflow jacket and get warmth equal to my medium weight leather with liner. Gerbings liner underneath and I'm good down into the 30's with no change of gear other than a pair of polypro sweats under the Airflow pants. The jacket sleeves are gaitored with elastic seals that run up under the glove gauntlets making the best at the wrist seal I have ever found.

Toss it in the washing machine and tumble dry on no heat cycle. From the looks of mine, I'll have it the rest of my life so the one time initial high cost doesn't look so bad.

I ordered the Teknic Chicane for $24 dollars. It's PVC and may end up being as much a fat suit as a rain suit. It's a tough choice- dripping wet from rain or sweat.

BMW gear is always prefered but $330! eek.gif

I'd never hear the end of that one.

I'll let y'all know how my thermostat handles the sauna suit.

Thanks for your help,

Dean thumbsup.gif

They have a website to visit(Google it) if you want more info. Most bike shops I have visited carry them these days. Even the HD dealers and they don't come with their logo! grin.gif

D

I ordered the Teknic Chicane for $24 dollars. It's PVC and may end up being as much a fat suit as a rain suit. It's a tough choice- dripping wet from rain or sweat.

BMW gear is always prefered but $330! eek.gif

I'd never hear the end of that one.

I'll let y'all know how my thermostat handles the sauna suit.

Thanks for your help,

Dean thumbsup.gif

I've been using a Dry Rider 2-piece PVC suit for years. Sure it's hot, but it's usually pretty cool when it's raining (usually).

g4581.jpg

Also, for for under $30 you can't beat the price.

Whichever way you go, don't get dark colors. Sure I wear a black leather jacket, black jeans, and black helmet at times. But, when it's raining and difficult to be seen, go with the yellow. wink.gif

Oh yea. I'm also a fan of 2-piece rain suits. More useful since you can just wear the jacket on cool evening and it's sometimes difficult to put on a 1-piece on the side of the road with trucks wizzing by at 85 mph.

Scott......

Can you give an idea of how small the Dry Rider rain suit packs up? The K 75 RT doesn't have a lot of packable space and wondered if Frogg Toggs or Dry Rider packed up the smallest (poor English)......I'm sure both will keep you dry so size is important to me......

Thanks thumbsup.gif...

Phil.........Redbrick

ClearwaterBMW

i have this suit

yellow_front_200.jpg

but....

it's hot in the florida sun as it doesn't breathe

nice for winter rain, though (or alaska, i bet)

the frogg toggs are better for florida rain showers i think

greg

Frogg Toggs are the best I have found for the heat and humidity of NC. You can purchase them on-line. I bought mine at Cabelas, the outdoor store.

Another vote for the Klima Comfort suit - VERY rain proof! even in 5 hrs of the worst rain continental europe can offer. Fully breathable, so perfect comfort!!

My vote is for the Frogg Troggs. Rode 400 miles in rain, heavy at times, and both the wife and I were dry. That is a first for me. Usually rain finds someplace to attack and make me cold. Not this time. Now after a few thousands more wet miles I'll have the definitive answer.

clap.gif

Paul Mihalka
What about the boots and the gloves just to complete the package?????

Boots there are many that are really waterproof and good. BMW, SIDI, Prexport, Cruiserworks come to mind, with many more. Gloves I use BMW but I'm sure there are many others. The Finger Lakes Rally will be a good spot for you to check them out. Many good vendors.

Scott......

Can you give an idea of how small the Dry Rider rain suit packs up? The K 75 RT doesn't have a lot of packable space and wondered if Frogg Toggs or Dry Rider packed up the smallest (poor English)......I'm sure both will keep you dry so size is important to me......

Thanks thumbsup.gif...

Phil.........Redbrick

It folds fairly small, but it's HEAVY. Well, at least compared to Frogg Toggs. I'd say it folds up about the same size as a pair of jeans and a long sleeve shirt. It's a little smaller than the "fisherman" type stuff you might find at a hardware store. I fit mine easily inside the lid (strapped in against the lid) of a side case along with an extra pair of gloves, vest, and long sleeve shirt -- with room to spare.

One feature you may want to think about:

Given the choice, I'd MUCH rather have a jacket with a zipper in front rather than a pullover. I realize that the pullover type MAY be less likely to leak, however putting it on over (who knows how many?) layers of clothing is a real pain-in-the-neck, IMO. The problem becomes even worse if you're attempting to pull it over clothing that may already be a tad damp. Moreover, I like to have the ability to unzip the jacket either a little or a lot for riding comfort. YMMV.

For keeping the feet dry, I know a few riders that pack a set of inexpensive, rubber Totes and slip them on over their usual riding boots, as necessary.

What about the boots and the gloves just to complete the package?????

I read somewhere on this site that the Danner Ft. Lewis are the best boots around. I'll be picking up a pair soon. They are insulated, waterproof, all leather and have vibram soles. I can't seem to find the original thread.

I like the non motorcycle motorcycle boots better it seems they would be more comfortable off bike.

Gloves, I don't know but would like to hear from the gang what their opinion is. grin.gif

Wow, $330 for raingear. For that price I bought My Darien jacket AND my Froggs Toggs Pants which is all I need for raingear. The Darien Jacket is the most waterproof piece of gear I have ever owned!

ClearwaterBMW

i invested in gortex bmw boots 5 years ago....

they are still fine

they never leak/well worth it

but....

as for glove covers

i have none

wish i did

don't know which to get

greg

A friend that we ride with wears the blue kitchen gloves over his leather gloves when it rains. We always ask him, "Are you going to do the dishes, clean the toilets or ride with those things?"

Greg

Not too cool looking but very effective are XL size cotton lined houshold cleaning rubber gloves...Just pull the on over your riding gloves...Not my idea, it came from a good friend, but that's what he uses and obviously, with the long gauntlet to keep the nasties away from you when cleaning the "fixture", they go up the arm over the cuff of the jacket....Sounds good to me and I'm going to get a pair...Expensive though, about $3.50 at Von's.......Oh, they come in neat colors too; bright yellow is a favorite....Sky blue? thumbsup.gif....

Phil...Redbrick

Triple digit gloves from Aerostich work very nicely as an overglove. I've used the kitchen gloves and they make your hands super clammy, but not the Triple Digits. They breath, but are alot more pricy than playtex...

I've used the Frogg Toggs and I've also used the H20 rainsuit from Wally world. They are equal except for price. The H20 suit is about a third the cost. It comes in only one color, banana yellow. Right now I have a set of Frogg Toggs that my son gave me for my birthday. One thing about the Frogg Toggs and H20 rainsuits, they are pretty fragile and will begin to degrade due to flapping in the wind. Pack some duct tape and be ready to apply liberally! I get about six months service out of the Frogg Togg/H20 stuff, but they pack small and will keep you dry. A plus for the Frogg Togg/H20 setup is the fact that you can put your helmet on with the hood up and it keeps the rain from running down your neck. You will experience some drops that get in at the top of the zipper if you ride in the rain long enough, which will ultimately soak the front of your shirt and then gravity and capillary action will take over and, well, you get the picture. It's all good eh? It's motorcycling!

Mike

Get some good gortex boots made for riding, like those from BMW or SIDI, and never worry about footwear again.

As for gloves, I use some rubber overgloves that I found in a hardware store. I'm not exactly sure what they are for, but they are much thicker thant the standard yellow/blue ones. Also they are black with a very long and wide gauntlet. That helps to keep the water out. I do find that no matter what I do, some water will drip down from the jacket into the gauntlet.

But, as was said above, it's motorcycling, right?

ShovelStrokeEd

Boots are Oxtar, gloves are BMW summer rains that when worn in conjunction with the Klima Komfort jacket never let my hands get wet.

Yes this gear is expensive. Its a once in a lifetime purchase though. Unless you fall while riding with this stuff, you'll never need to replace it. I have probably been through 20 cheap PVC suits in my 40+ years of riding. No more.

As to packing, the entire suit and gloves fits into one Eagle Creek packing cube and will fit in one of my city lids with room to spare. Its darn light as well. When it comes to rain gear, you get exactly what you pay for. To me, being warm and dry is more important than a couple of hundred bucks. I don't have the luxury of saying "Well, the weather looks a little rough, guess I won't ride today."

Scott......

Can you give an idea of how small the Dry Rider rain suit packs up? The K 75 RT doesn't have a lot of packable space and wondered if Frogg Toggs or Dry Rider packed up the smallest.......

Found some "water resistant" microlight pants and jacket made by Sierra Designs www.Sierradesigns.com

at a local store and ordered them online through REI to get color and size I wanted (cheaper too)...I'm vertically challenged (5'7", 155 #)... Tried on different sizes in the store and still bought XL to fit over bike jacket (in yellow) and pants (in black, no choice)....We'll see..Both items pack into individual small bags and stowage size is important on my bike....About $55.00 total for both....

Thanks for input

Phil..........Redbrick

Phil.........Redbrick

I wore my one-piece 'stich to Ohio, was in the rain from Terra Haute, Ind to the state line, going east. Stayed dry. (Get the wrinkle out of the front at the crotch- water doesn't puddle and seep in!)

Gloves no doubt 'stich triple digit. (I have a size 8.5 hand got the L..Get the XL.)

Danner Ft. Lewis boots are what I have been wearing as an LEO for 8.5 years. Wore em on patrol and on SWAT and now back on patrol again. I have only had 2 pair. Just kept replacing the treads when they wore out. Bast damn footwear I have ever found. That being said I still wear waterproof motorcycle boots when riding...though now I am wondering why? ;-)

ShovelStrokeEd

Well, one good reason might be that motorcycle specific boots normally offer superior ankle and shin protection in terms of at least minimal armor. Even my Oxtar Matrix boots which might be considered the bedroom slippers of riding boots offer extra padding in the shin, ankle and Achilles tendon areas. I'm planning on a much more serious set of boots for track use. The more advanced boots provide a good deal of anti rotation protection as well which can greatly help with ankle and knee injury in a spill.

A friend that we ride with wears the blue kitchen gloves over his leather gloves when it rains. We always ask him, "Are you going to do the dishes, clean the toilets or ride with those things?"

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

D

LandonBlueRT

I read somewhere on this site that the Danner Ft. Lewis are the best boots around. I'll be picking up a pair soon. They are insulated, waterproof, all leather and have vibram soles. I can't seem to find the original thread.

I like the non motorcycle motorcycle boots better it seems they would be more comfortable off bike.

I have a pair of Danner Ft. Lewis boots. Most comfortable 'out-of-the-box' boot I have ever worn and I have worn a lot of'em.

Archived