IGNORED

In Ear Speakers

John Dickens

John Dickens

My wife's ears are not in the right place. They just don't line up with the recesses in any helmets we have tried. This makes normal helmet speakers uncomfortable and difficult to fit.

Does anyone know of any small 'in ear' speakers or headphones I could adapt? They have to be small for the reason mentioned above. Her ears are constantly under gentle pressure from the inner lining.

I'm quite happy to re-wire units to match intercoms and link with michrophones as needed.

Jerry_75_Guy

"Does anyone know of any small 'in ear' speakers or headphones I could adapt? They have to be small for the reason mentioned above. Her ears are constantly under gentle pressure from the inner lining."

In short; yes. As you might have seen from my recent posts, I've been working with in ear speaker issues myself.

There are a number of in ear speakers to choose from, however, the Eytmotic 6i's seem to be favored by the crowd here. For myself, I found that using the two flange, smaller ear plug which come with the speakers, allows me to place them deep enough into my ear canal to avoid rubbing the helmet interior. I'm also trying to get custom earmolds for these speakers.

depending on the intercom unit you have, there should be cable accessories offered by the company to integrate the ear speakers into the intercom. I know Autocom can do this, and I believe Baehr can as well.

I would add, though, that you should first try to find a way to trim or modify the liner and padding of your wife's helmet (I know people who claim to have done such things to their own helmets) to provide a better fit. Once you do this, it creates the option of using in helmet speakers and custom or standard foam plugs. I currently use custom plugs and in helmet speakers (Autocom), and it works fine.

Here are ones I use, Sony MDR-EX71SL Fontopia Headphones with Closed Type Design.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...pc&n=507846

Tried the Fontopia's as well. They work OK, but the real problem is the insulation material for the cord is VERY soft and does NOT wear well when 'rubbing' inside the helmet. While they sound ok, after a few twists of my head and helment, the wires became exposed and frayed.

YMMV

Regards,

Mike O

I'm using the stock earbuds that came with my ipod. They are very hard to keep in my ears when putting my helmet on. I'll watch this post to see if you find a solution... I may try the sony's mentioned above since they're only 20 bucks.. good luck

ClearwaterBMW

you will injur yourself doing it that way

you need to get a combo of hearing protection and sound quality

those stock ipod buds are NOT for that...

save your hearing and your ear canals...... please

greg

ShovelStrokeEd

Tone, and others,

20 bucks just ain't gonna get it. If you don't include sound isolation capablities with your in-ear speakers you are going to have to run the volume up to overcome the 110 or so db wind noise. That is already a harmful level for long term exposure. Turning your radio up to drown it out is only going to make things worse.

I have seen ER6i's at $99 recently and in fact, I just ordered a pair from the EarPlug Store. Do a google search on ER6i and they'll come up.

There is a simple test you can do to see if you are getting the protection you need. Go for a ride, listening to your current tunes by whatever method you are using. When you get home and finish the ride, don't touch your volume controls, just shut down. Next morning, in the quiet of the garage, or in your house if you have a portable sound source, turn on the stereo. If it blows you over backwards, you have damaged your hearing the day before. The effects are cumulative and may not show up for years but, show up they will. You will have trouble following conversations in noisy environments. TV volumes will get ridiculous, your own voice will be way too loud (no one will tell you ).

Here are ones I use, Sony MDR-EX71SL Fontopia Headphones with Closed Type Design.

The Sony EX71 are pretty good sounding phones for their price range but do not provide nearly enough noise isolation for motorcycle use. When noise isolation is important look for something with a real NRR rating in the specs, such as with Etymotic products. The Etymotic ER6i is a popular and very good choice that both sound excellent and provide good isolation.

When noise isolation is important look for something with a real NRR rating in the specs

Good tip, sounds like it's time to upgrade.

I just ordered a set from amazon for $94.00 with free shipping to replace my custom earmolds that keep failing. No affiliation with Amazon just a happy customer and the free shipping can be a deal maker on a lot of Internet prices thumbsup.gif I've worn the 3 flange type of ear plugs before with no problems so I'm assuming the 6's will fit similar to them.

John,

I use a product that was developed for us in the miltary aircraft called CEPs. Here is the website: www.cep-usa.com

I use the foam ear tip in the aircraft, but purchsed the EAR6i eartips for use with the motorcycle. They sell a stereo headset for $65, and the EAR tips run $20 for 5 sets shipped.

Just another option...

I just ordered a set from amazon for $94.00 with free shipping to replace my custom earmolds that keep failing. No affiliation with Amazon just a happy customer and the free shipping can be a deal maker on a lot of Internet prices thumbsup.gif I've worn the 3 flange type of ear plugs before with no problems so I'm assuming the 6's will fit similar to them.

That is very strange. I do not understand Amazon's pricing. I got these same Eytmotic 6i's last week for $84.99 with free shipping. Why did they change the price by $9?

Also, I previously tried Shure E2c Sound Isolating Earphones. I would not recommend them for under-helmet use. They had good sound, for about $70, but they are very uncomfortable under a helmet. The good news is that Amazon accepted my return of them, and I got full credit.

Archived