IGNORED

Z6 vs. Pilot Roads and pressure question

sideways

After 5700 miles, the Dunlop 220s are fried on my RT, especially the rear.

Does anyone have experience with both the Mich Pilot Roads and Z6s?

If so, comments would be appreciated.

Along the same line, I've been running the handbook recommended 36 front and 42 rear (cold) pressures for solo rider with luggage. Seems like a bit much to me - sometimes the ride seems harsher than necessary for a given suspension setting, and I've also had a couple of unexpected slide moments while cornering.

Tire pressure Ph.Ds, enter and sign in, please.

As always, muchas gracias.

I just replaced my second rear dunlop 220 at 6000 miles. (6000 miles each)

The front ran 12,000 and still had some miles but, it was cupped and I wanted to try the pilot roads.

I was running the same pressures you mentioned.

My local small dealer (not BMW) said I was running too much pressure and "burned" off the rear. The sides looked like new. I am now running 32 front 36 rear. Time will tell.

So far I like the pilot roads. I have about 500 miles on them.

I can't speak for the Z6s, but they aren't supposed to wear better than the Z4s. The Z4s wore too quickly for my tastes. The Pilot Roads were nearly the perfect tire for me on the RT.

Z6 - Very sticky (for a street tire), awesome handling, the lack of a good wear indicator on the back one is a bit of an issue. Rather poor life (+/- 6K).

Pilot Roads - Almost as sticky, much better life (+/- 10K), somewhat better ride.

If you want the ultimate corner carving ability go Z6. If you want a better real-world compromise go Pilot Roads.

IMHO wink.gif

Steve_Witmer

I have not yet tried the Z6. I am running Pilot Roads 39/42 and have been pleased with both dry and wet handling/traction. They have been on the bike about 6-7 K miles. Both still appear to have some wear left in them, particularly the rear.

FWIW - I am noticing unusual wear on the front tire and may soon replace it. I expect some flattening to occur with wear, but this feels to the touch like a raised flat strip down the center of the tire. I do not know if it attributable to too many highway miles this year or to running at high pressure, or perhaps Michelin's belt construction is the culprit. I noticed the same wear pattern on some other RTs with Pilot Roads at the MOA rally, but did not see the pattern on RTs running the Z6.

One observation regarding the Pilots. We have two R1100R bikes. For a complicated reason, I switched the wheels from my bike and put them on my wife's. I had noticed on odd high pitched whine on my bike that made me worried I might have a problem in my final drive. The noise disappeared when I put a different set of wheels (and tires) on my bike, but dear bride's bike now has the same whine - so it was obviously the tires. The noise is so sharp and loud it can be painful on the ears when not wearing ear plugs. I recently put a new set of Pilots on my bike and they are not as noisy. Will be interesting to see if the noise starts once they wear. I too have noticed an odd wear pattern, especially on the front tire. I got the tires at Beemerville. The rep from Michelin was on hand to answer questions. My intent was to replace only my rear tire as it was worn, I had a Bridgestone on the front that was still fairly good. The Michelin rep said it was a bad idea to mix the two tire types. The Bridgestone was made from a graphite compound while the Pilot's are made from a silica compound. He said the different "stick" characteristics could lead to handling problems so I replaced them both. He said he'd never heard any complaints about noise problems.

I recently replaced my Z6's with Pilot Roads. I was 100% happy with the Z6's, but just wanted to "try what is out there" based on comments on the DB here.

Here's my take. I'll be going back to the Z6's and the sooner the better. I'll probably only put about 6k on the Pilot Roads, and then keep them in the garage as "just in case" tires.

The Pilot Roads are supposed to last longer than the Z6's and I suspect they might. BUT, I don't like the "stiffness" of the Pilot Roads. I get much more road buzz through these tires and into the handlebars. The carcass of the PR's must be really stiff, and the compound stiffer than the Z6's. The new PR's were "worse" feeling than a worn set of Z6's that I had just taken off the bike. New tires almost always feel better than a worn set... but not in this case. I've taken to running the PR's on the very low end of BMW's recommended pressures in order to get back "some" of the plush ride of the Z6's.

The ride quality of the Z6's seems very plush to me, and cornering stability is a "10" where the PR's are a "9." That is, just how the Z6's roll in and take a line and hold it w/o further input from the driver. Very neutral, "on rails" feeling. PR's are not bad in this respect and much superior to either the ME880's I have had or the Dunlops -- just not as good as the Z6's.

Admittedly, I don't care about tire wear all that much, so the Z6's in my opinion are much superior to the PR's in overall ride quality and handling. As to raw "stick," I'm not a an aggressive or accomplished enough rider to ever find the limit of either of these tires, so that is a wash as far as I'm concerned. It is the "ride quality" that makes the Z6's better "for me."

Last bit, after only 1.5k miles the PR's are starting to "sing" in the corners already and I don't care for that, not that it is a "big deal" in any real sense. The Z6's never did that even when well worn in and starting to cup a bit.

One man's experience / opinion.

"I'll probably only put about 6k on the Pilot Roads, and then keep them in the garage as "just in case" tires."

You may find that there is nothing worth saving. I only got some 10% greater milage. Then again, perhaps I wanted those tires to be finished before their time.

It's taken me a while to get used to the PRs, but at 10k between changes compared to the 6k with Z4s, it's kinda worth it.

That said, I like the Z4s (and will try the Z6s next pair) better than the PRs. They just felt better and inspired more confidence. I used to touch the feeler peg with the Z4s, but never have done that with the PRs.

I run 40/42. Higher pressure will give you better (not worse!) longevity with the PRs. The flex at lower pressures, giving more scrubbing, is one reason I've heard. I also do much two-up, so I keep the pressure up.

Later,

jan

Last bit, after only 1.5k miles the PR's are starting to "sing" in the corners already and I don't care for that, not that it is a "big deal" in any real sense.
The "sing" while cornering on my wife's bike (as mentioned above) is really loud, it is a big deal. We often don't wear earplugs on short rides and there are some speed/corner/wind/road combinations that set up a howl from her tires that is litterally painful, makes you want to cup your hands over your ears. Treads on her bike are near 3/4 worn, on mine with few miles there's no discernable noise from cornering. Riders who don't wear ear plugs may be looking at 10-20 percent less milage from the Pilots just to get rid of the whine.
Steve_Witmer
odd high pitched whine

That's definitely the tires. Mine are starting to sing, particularly in turns. The previous Michelin Macadam 100s did the same thing (only louder).

Kinda a hijack as I have no experience with Z6's, but 15,000 miles of experience with Pilot Roads. I run 36/42 and run 2 up 90% of the time. Get 10,000 miles out of tires; stock BT 020's then Avon Azoros and last years PR's. This year I'm experiencing the same raised bar down the middle of the front (which sings in the corners - normal and similar to other tires half way through their life IMHO). What's up with that? Did they change compounds or belt design?

Similar thread: R12RT Tire Replacement Opinions Wanted

Awaiting New Pilot Roads. No riding 'til then bncry.gif

Got home on Sunday from a ride to the middle of nowhere, speeds up to 130 to find a bit of steel showing on the rear eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

I'm curious: anyone who has traded up from an older RT to a 1200 seeing diminished treadwear for the same set of tires?

Does the extra power offset the reduced weight resulting in more rapid tread wear?

Steve,

I see we're of like mind. Perhaps I'll just toss them, after all! Though, I was thinking of any weary traveler who might be in need of "something as opposed to nothing" to get home! grin.gif

I fitted a set of PR approx 2K ago. Shortly after fitting I experienced a loud high pitched noise coming from the front of the bike. I lubed and then replaced the speedo cable thinking this was the problem. I was so concerned that I checked the front wheel bearings, replaced the alternator belt and then retensioned the alternator belt thinking I had fitted it too tight.

As I was one of the unfortunate people to have input spline problems (g/box rebuild) I am very sensitive to new noises. bncry.gif

This thread has definitely put my mind at rest. clap.gif

I had noticed on odd high pitched whine on my bike

likewise. having done a spline lube, i hoped it was just the crappy grooved roads here. then on a weekender noticed the same "whine" figured what the hell she blows up, she blows up! nice to know it's the tires.(fingers crossed)

Hmmm...Have now had two sets of Pilot Roads on the bike and never noticed any high pitched whine. I've run both 36 and 40 on the front (two up).

Regards,

Mike O

never noticed any high pitched whine

It is most noticeable when the bike is leaned over.

That explains why I've never hear it. I should try leaning the bike over some times smirk.gifsmirk.gif

Regards,

Mike O

Archived