IGNORED

KonTour Seats

flobti

Friday, I received my KonTour seats & BakUp backrest for my 12RT. After about 300 miles, I must say my butt is very pleased. Basically, I just forgot there was a seat there.

I chose the KonTour hoping to get a comfortable seat that kept the same sporty look of the stock RT seat. I have used Rick Mayer & Bill Mayer seats on my GS - Rick's was extremely comfortable, but I didn't care for the looks (didn't like the "bucket seat" look, plus I didn't like the seams & having to be careful in the rain). Bill's seat looks better (IMHO), almost as comfortable, but still is wider (triangular shaped) & not very sporty looking.

So far, the KonTour is at least as comfortable as either Mayer seat, plus is way better looking (again IMHO) & is much cooler in hot weather. (Not trying to knock either Mayer seat - both are top quality).

Customer service was excellent - I had a minor problem with the heater attachment - they had it picked up, fixed & sent back to me in 3 days - couldn't have asked for better.

Even though they weren't cheap, I am extremely pleased & highly recommend them! (If I could figure out how to post a photo, I would.)

Price would be $950.00 rider and passenger plus shipping. Whew, way too rich for my budget.
Especially considering that unlike Russell they don't offer any kind of money back guarantee, they are quite specific about that. Having had to return my Russell after much adjustment and agony I don't know that I want to put out money with no guarantee even though I do really like what I see here. On the other hand I've got to do something!

When I ordered mine, their wait time was about one month away - they give you a date & they keep the seat for one week.

They are designed to to drain the rain away.

I couldn't be happier with mine - even though they are a bit more expensive, I think they are worth every penny.

I had one made for my GS. Sent it back because after 100 miles I felt like I was riding on rails. Ron Miller, (owner/pres), was quite disturbed. I had a new seat with the speed of summer lightning. The new seat is significantly better. I will ride it on the upcoming 3 Flags. Will let you know how it is on a longer-than-a-day-ride.

The issue, I believe (and Ron agrees)is one of rider weight. I would counsel that you err on the heavy side if you order a seat. Rocky Mayer, it would appear, underrated my weight and the seat he made for me collapsed on the 2nd day of my 4 Corner ride.

If the KonTour seat is as good as claimed it's worth every penny.

David, it was unclear from your post, it was a Mayer seat you sent back? Or a Kontour?

The foam collapsing is what I have on my stock seat, but then at 350, its understandable.

DavidEBSmith

When I ordered my current seat from Rick Mayer, he said that if the rider was above a certain weight (like 250 or 260?) he would recommend a Russell seat with the springs over an all-foam seat.

When I ordered my current seat from Rick Mayer, he said that if the rider was above a certain weight (like 250 or 260?) he would recommend a Russell seat with the springs over an all-foam seat.

I was told the same thing.

I ordered the Russell (a.k.a. the John Deere tractor seat grin.gif) when I still had the RT, and the comfort was exceptional for my fat ar$e... thumbsup.gif

Russell ugly, but Russell comfortable. thumbsup.gif

Archived