IGNORED

BIG bar end weights

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

I may be in the early stages of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: my hands (mostly my right hand) have a peculiar numbness to them after riding for ~100 highway miles. If I tap index finger and thumb together (or bump an object with them), there is a sensation like an "echo" of that tap for maybe a second or so after the initial impact. The phenomenon persists for maybe 5-10 minutes after I stop. I can minimize the problem with liberal use of ibuprofen, throttle rocker, and throttle lock.

So has anyone put really big bar end weights on to squelch engine vibes at the handgrips? I'm assuming it's the engine vibes at the grips that are causing this. Will big bar end weights do a good job of fixing the problem? Is there a disadvantage to having really big weights on the bar ends? I have lathe access, so I can literally make weights the size of grapefruits if they'll be effective.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Could you fill the handle bars with BBs or buck-shot?

Maracas...cool. cool.gif

Seriously tho, it's a pretty narrow passage on the interior of the bar, like maybe 8mm... and the heated grip wire runs in there. Not much room for any significant mass of filler. frown.gif

Just a thought, it seems to work well on tube-bar equipped bikes. I wasn't sure (doubtful) if it would work on an RT. Unless you really want maracas, of course. . . grin.gif

How do you know it is the motorcycle that is causing the problem? Could it be something else, such as using a computer?

Aside from that, I have wondered if this expanding sprayable foam would reduce vibration?

Great Stuff

Joe Frickin' Friday
How do you know it is the motorcycle that is causing the problem? Could it be something else, such as using a computer?

It's both, actually. I can do pretty much anything else without trouble, but keyboard/mouse action - and since last fall, riding - leave me with some tingling and/or pain in my right hand. frown.gif

At my age, I am happy if I feel some tingling in the extremities. blush.gif

Anyway, I try to use my mouse with both hands. I found that switching hands periodically will result in fewer carpal tunnel issues, at least for me.

It's both, actually. I can do pretty much anything else without trouble, but keyboard/mouse action - and since last fall, riding - leave me with some tingling and/or pain in my right hand. frown.gif

I had this too, but for the past 8-10 years I've been using a trackball with great results. I just rest my hand on top of it rather than having to grip it. My carpal tunnel pain went way and hasn't come back.

Joe Frickin' Friday

OK, three suggestions now for gel covers instead of heavier weights.

Don't handlebar covers make the grips larger? They're already kind of big on the RT (at least compared to sportier bikes); seems like any covering thick enough to quell vibrations would make them uncomfortably large. I'm envisioning gripping beer bottles instead of a polish sausage... eek.gif

Lone_RT_rider
OK, three suggestions now for gel covers instead of heavier weights.

Don't handlebar covers make the grips larger? They're already kind of big on the RT (at least compared to sportier bikes); seems like any covering thick enough to quell vibrations would make them uncomfortably large. I'm envisioning gripping beer bottles instead of a polish sausage... eek.gif

Dude....Before you start having visions of sausages, I would think of working on your ergos at work. I had the same issue about 4 months ago. Then, I switched to a different keyboard/mouse platform under my desk. No more bike issues! Seriously, take a good look at your work situation. thumbsup.gif

Shawn

DavidAnthony

I asked my doctor about the same type of problem you are having numbness at the finger tips. She said it was from the vibration of the bike on the nerves running through your wrist. She also said what makes it worse is the position of your wrist when you crank the gas. That position will cause numbness due to stretching your nerves. I manage mine by using the wrist rest (forget the name of the rig)

on the accelerator.

Hello Mitch,

Here are a couple of other suggestions from an older fellow with reduced tolerance to ergonomic imperfections.

Several manufacturers of work gloves make vibration suppression models for use with different types of power tools. There are different foams, polymers and gel inserts in the fingers and palms. I bought a pair from Home Depot for about $40.00 and they are very effective...althought not warm or waterproof.

When I am riding on the highway I am usually flexing and extending various body joints on a more or less continuous basis. I try to extend my fingers (and thumb) three of four times in a row at least every couple of minutes. When I'm on the highway I also ride with an "O" ring between the bar end and grip on the right bar so I can remove my hand from the bar and shake it out every 5-10 minutes without the throttle closing.

On a personal note Mitch, I've read your entries over the last year and I believe you are much too cool a guy to be riding with grapefruit sized bar ends. grin.gif

On a personal note Mitch, I've read your entries over the last year and I believe you are much too cool a guy to be riding with grapefruit sized bar ends.

Ha!

FWIW, I've got the same problem mitch, no idea what I'm going to do about it.

ShovelStrokeEd

Steve,

I've had really good luck with that O-ring thing. My S shakes like a dog passing a peach pit at certain RPMs and is very good at passing road surface irregularities straight to the handle bars. Clip on's tend to do that.

The O-ring, I use a 320 cause I have them on hand, 318 or 316 is probably a better fit, allows me to run for miles with only minimal tension on my hand and I don't have to pronate my wrist to get the throttle position I want. I just wind up resting the palm of my hand on top of the throttle and using the meat behind my thumb for steering.

I do have to deliberately close the throttle but, that has not proven to be a problem. A side benefit is much smoother shifting.

I'm currently using foam grip covers from Jabco, www.foamtubing.com. It helped the vibes quite a bit. Having these or any other cover will increase the grip diameter but I don't find it to be an issue. The heated grip operation is affected in that you don't feel too much heat at the low setting.

I also have the original size Throttle Meister and find it very helpful as far as allowing you to place your right hand in a comfortable position.

I usta have an R100 airhead that vibrated the handlebars even much worse than the RT. I filled the handlebar from both ends with lead shot and the results were amazing! It may be worth a try on the RT, doesn't cost much if I remember right. You're correct re the heated grip wire that may interfere with adding the shot. It would also create an extra step removing the shot if the heated grips needed servicing. OTOH, if it would work, it's worth it IMO.

J Moyer in OR

Can you elaborate on the O-ring system that you use. I have used Throttlemeister on prior bikes to achieve the same effect, but they cost a fair bit and can be difficult to adjust due to heated grips.

Can you elaborate on the O-ring system that you use. I have used Throttlemeister on prior bikes to achieve the same effect, but they cost a fair bit and can be difficult to adjust due to heated grips.

I believe this is what Ed is talking about.

33114671-M.jpg

You can store it in that position. Then when your throttle hand gets tired, you slide it over to this position:

33114679-M.jpg

(notice position of tape for reference)

Then rotate the throttle to this position:

33114681-M.jpg

That's it. Instant cheapo throttle lock.

Some people stick these into the groove between the grip and the bar end. That works, but unless your o-ring is fat (which in this case is a good thing) you may get it stuck there. I prefer to have part of it across the throttle. It still works well but can't get stuck in the groove. YMMV.

Ahh yes... The beloved CAT. "O" ring cruise control!

Try it ...You'll like it.

catring.jpg

They are kinda pricey $3.95 (for an O ring), but they are silicone and will last forever.

If the yellow color turns you off you can cross reference it to black

Here are the specifications if you do not have a CAT. dealer nearby or can't take the yellow color

Cross Sec DIA.= 5.33mm, Seal Inside DIA.= 27.94mm, Dash SIZE= 320, Part#-Silicone= 8M-4991

Archived