IGNORED

Garmin v7 update arrived, now what?

ybweb1

My DVD with the Garmin City Navigator v7 just arrived. I have unlocked the maps, updated the Mapsource software and updated the software on the hardware unit.

So, since my BMW Navigator II came with all of the maps already installed on the 2GB flash card, do I just use the map tool to highlight ALL of the maps, and download them all?

Should I backup the flash card beforehand, somehow?

tia

Dave

2005 R1200RT rouge rogue

The DVD is available right on the Garmin site. They will send it to you free of charge but it won't do you any good until you purchase an unlock code from them.

So, since my BMW Navigator II came with all of the maps already installed on the 2GB flash card, do I just use the map tool to highlight ALL of the maps, and download them all?

Should I backup the flash card beforehand, somehow?

Yes, load the "NEW" maps into your flash card. Otherwise, you will be using the old maps without the new map data. Also, any routes you may download into your unit may not work properly when used on the old version of City Navigator.

Why would you want to back-up the old maps that are on your flash card?

In case of some failure I could fall back. I suppose I would use the original DVD.

Since I purchased this summer, I received an upgrade unlock code without extra charges.

Thanks all

In case of some failure I could fall back. I suppose I would use the original DVD.

FYI, you can't back up maps from the GPS to PC. That operation takes but a few seconds and merely reports the index of maps that are loaded. If the corresponding mapset is not loaded on the PC, not even the index will be reported.

I took the chance and loaded all of the maps. It seems to have worked fine since I rode around southern New Hampshire for a while this afternoon and no fault was reported.

Thanks for the advice...

Matt if he has a USB card reader he could copy and past the maps to a folder on the hard drive and reload that way if he chose couldn't he? Too late now I see but I've read of people with smaller cards building maps sets and saving them that way.

Archived