IGNORED

Which Voice Dial Works Best thru a Helmet Headset?

twilmotte

I know its a safety hazard to talk on the phone while riding, but I do it occasionally anyway. I have a Motorola V551 GSM phone that works fine in receiving calls on the go, but the voice dial feature works only maybe 5% of the time through the helmet headset while I'm riding. I get either the "speak louder" or "speak softer" display message from the phone. (The voice dial works fine when its not working thru the helmet headset. Also, I've tried recording the voice dial commands thru the headset.) Can anyone recommend a cell phone with a voice dial that works well through a helmet headset? crazy.gif

I've got a Motorola 710 hooked in via bluetooth HF800 and the voice dial works great. I do "name dial" from my phone book or "digit dial" where I just speak the numbers. I'd say I get a 98% success rate. I keep the HF800 in the map compartment of my tank bag and can press the single button to either answer or call. To call, I press the buttom and hear the voice say to me "say a command" where I say "name dial" then it says "say a name" and I use the name exactly as I have listed in the phone book. If I get a call, it rings in my helmet and I just press that same button and say hello. Works for me.

I've found the challenge is "training" the phone. What it hears when you try to voice dial while on the bike is much different than when stationary.

While I'm NOT recommending it, if you can juggle enough button pushing while riding, try retraining the phone while actually in motion.

chipsonfriday

Totally agree Ken. My exerpience is that the voice recognition is fairly acute and if the orignal 'training' was done in a quite environment then attempting to use voice dial with additional microphone noise is unsuccessful.

It might just mean that the training of the phone voice dial is done on the bike with the engine running (and stationary) and through the helmet mic.

Chips

Mine seems to work fine without any training. The only training used on the 710 is for the "digit dial" function. The "name dial" function is completely untrained and it works better than 98% both in my quiet car as well as on my bike with a Schuberth Concept helmet with Autocom mic.

I "trained" the phone through the headset, but the engine wasn't running and there wasn't any wind or background noise. I'll give that a try. Thanks for the suggestions. thumbsup.gif

Archived