IGNORED

hot weather

SteveSardone

SteveSardone

another hot weather question-has anyone cut down the stock windshield on an RT or removed it entirely during hot weather riding? I took mine off today to see what it is like riding w/out it...any pros or cons?

thanks,

Steve Sardone

another hot weather question-has anyone cut down the stock windshield on an RT or removed it entirely during hot weather riding? I took mine off today to see what it is like riding w/out it...any pros or cons?

thanks,

Steve Sardone

On a riding vacation to Spain I took my screen off and left it in the hotel room. Much cooler and less buffeting but more wind noise. All fairly obvious in afterthought.

This of course allowed me to ride through rainy England and northern France with full protection. Just one thing - remove the little rubber washers from the tilt mechanism and keep them safe.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

I rode with this windshield for a bit. It was cooler and noisier just as Andy pointed out. I would think the advantages over no windshield at all would be, fewer bugs dead on your jacket, diminished road glare, and it does look good on the bike.

For a days long trip I prefer the protection and, to me, sufficient air flow of my Cee Bailey's Euro cut.

SteveSardone

thanks for the replies-I have looked at the cee bailey summer shield already. I'm going to give the no shield look some more test rides and then decide.

Steve

I purchased a used stock RT windshield from a member of this site and cut it down to the top of the bodywork. The top edge retainss basically the same shape as the original w/s was before I cut it down, but it is about 4 inches lower.

It definitely flows more air than the stock w/s, but there is more buffeting than with the stock shield. It is definitely better in the heat.

It was not an easy job to cut the shield. I first tried a dremel, then a hacksaw and finally had success with an electric jigsaw. I applied several layers of masking tape to both sides of the shield, then marked the cutline and then used the jigsaw. After cutting, I used a file to smooth and shape the edge. Then I polished the edge on a buffing wheel using plastic polishing compound. You have to be very careful not to damage the coating on the shield. By the way, I held the windshield in a vise by using folded terry towels on either side of the shield and carefully tightening the vise, taking care not to overtighten.

I have read on this board that the Cee Bailey's euro cut works well, but never tried it.

Had a CB short "sport" screen on the 1100RT.

Really good around town, but too much noise and wind above 65 mph. Below 50 it was nice.

Archived