IGNORED

So I killed it...

georgeb

Ran it right into the back of a lexus SUV. 2 years and 60k miles, and this is how I kill it. 3600.00 in transmission repairs and this is how I wind up in a cage on the way to work.

Yes, I am fine mostly. I caught the right bar end weight on my right thigh. Swollen and badly bruised, I couldn't swing my leg over the saddle anyway. But no permanent damage.

The bike on the other hand... First, once I got it stood back up, the hazard lights would not come on. The when pushing it off the road realized the right fork tube is broken right above the bridge. The fairing is of course cracked and the headlight lens is gone. The lens cover did fine though. :dopeslap:

So who revives these things in Southern CA?

George

That's too bad, George. But you're mostly okay and when it comes to bike accidents, that's gold! And you really now have an excuse... (insert whisper)... new bike!

With that kind of damage, I bet you find a bent frame too. You may be looking at parting this one out on Flea Bay.

Glad you're "undamaged" where it counts!

+1 on the frame... I've heard of Parts Haus in Long Beach but not sure the extent of parts they have if your thinking about fixing it yourself...

Good luck, bikes can be fixed bodies.... glad you are OK.

Part it out and get another. Probably do better off than trying to fix it. :)

And you'll have fun dissecting it. You'll learn alot that will help you work on your new (old) 1150RT.

Good luck either way! :thumbsup:

MB>

Dave in Doodah

Haven't been there, but I concur with the other comments... be glad you are okay to ride another day. There is another bike waiting to take you for a ride. Shoot the injured horse and move on... life is too short.

Love it...Thanks folks... I just didn't expect to put this one out to pasture so soon. I'm taking her to Long Beach BMW this morning to have the estimate done for the insurance folks. we'll see what she's worth anyways.

Let me add my congratulations on you largely dodging the bullet. Your insurance will probably total it. If not, or if their settlement isn't good enough, we're fortunate that these bikes are not impossible to salvage. The fact that the frame is in 3 large parts helps if you've bent the triple tree and frame up front. You can always find another on f-bay, make sure you get the title with it.

Glad you're alright for the most part but where's the details?

Were you zoning out or did something else happen? Please consider sharing so that we can learn from your misfortune.

$3600 you have in that tranny- that's a lot of coin.

I got the RS with Fresh Rubber, and 31K miles last June for less than that...enough left over to get some winter rid'n gear..

:clap:

A crashed '02 RT just sold on e-Bay for a shade over $4000.00 with a lot of bidders. It was a slider but did have quite a bit of damage and the seller could not say it would run. Sold for more than I would have thought.

I'm happy you were not hurt.

Mike

OK so I have gotten a few requests to explain the accident.

I was traveling in the left lane southbound on Day Creek Blvd in Rancho Cucamonga and had just crossed Baseline. I was looking for the pool supply place there and as I had not been there before, wanted to figure out which end of the lot I needed to pull in. The road has a center divider consisting of an approx 8" curb and planter. Feeling that I had good following distance, I glanced over my left shoulder for no more than 1 second and when I looked back forward the SUV in front of me had come to a stop and I was about 25 feet from it at about 40 mph.

In my mind I believed that there was a vehicle in the next lane on the right so I could not swerve. I was on the left side of the lane anticipating pulling into the left turn lane ahead and did not have room between the SUV and the curb on the left. I applied my brakes hard. I recently upgraded to HH pads front and rear and believe that the rear wheel lifted briefly but enough to cause the ABS to release the front calipers to control the endo. I was unable to come to a stop but did scrub off a bit of speed.

I wound up pressed against the back window of the SUV in a brilliant impression of a dead bug, before falling back onto the bike and then the roadway. The rear of the SUV was bashed in but the window did not break. The damage to my bike was limited to the front end with a broken fork tube and upper and right side fairings.

Body wise, I was wearing tall motorcycle boots, gloves, CE padding equipped jacket and a Shoei full face helmet. I had a bit of soreness in my shoulder, but the real pain came from a softball sized hemotoma in my right thigh where the right side handlebar end weight made it's presence known.

Based on the $10,676 repair estimate I am expecting that they will total it.

Yes, early 02 integral brake design flaw raises its ugly head again.

You are another statistic unfortunately!

Well documented fault with these is that when the rear wheel becomes unloaded (as it did when it came off the ground a little), the ABS system activates and actually backs off the pressure to the front brakes too. Result is - No brakes !!

If you search around you'll find a lot of stories lie yours - most were not so lucky !

Well, Like I expected, >$10k was too much so they totaled it. after a buy back of $1200 and the deductible of $500, I have $4700 to fix it. Mechanic and paint is looking like $3400, so I should be back on the road soon with enough dough to replace the helmet.

Any suggestions on what will work with the Autocom earpieces? I have/had a Shoei RF1000, but had to remove the ear cups to fit the speakers in...

George, check with your insurance company.. Most will replace any riding gear damaged in an accident same as damaged pieces on the bike..

Twisty

Thanks Twisty,

I did mention it to my claims person, they stated that they will prorate the value of the helmet, so my $350.00 Shoei RF1000 becomes $210.00 after 2 years. and I have to cut the d-rings off and send them a picture.

Well, Like I expected, >$10k was too much so they totaled it. after a buy back of $1200 and the deductible of $500, I have $4700 to fix it. Mechanic and paint is looking like $3400, so I should be back on the road soon with enough dough to replace the helmet.

Any suggestions on what will work with the Autocom earpieces? I have/had a Shoei RF1000, but had to remove the ear cups to fit the speakers in...

In light of the ABS brake setup on that model, might parting it out and putting the money towards a different bike be a better plan?

Along with everyone else, I am primarily glad you're OK and looking forward to riding again.

IMHO, your thread title says it all: you killed it.

And, when talking about things like (potentially) bent frames, I would STRONGLY advise against seeking out Miracle Max. It ain't mostly dead, it's DEAD.

When I was young, a drunk pulled out in front of my CB750K5 from a side street and I T-boned him at about 20 mph. Had it repaired by a well-established, full-service Honda dealer, but it never handled QUITE the same.

If you have the opportunity to replace it with something that's never been the "rear" in a rear-end collision, I urge you to do it.

Archived