IGNORED

need to wire my Ique 3600

randy

So I purchased a car kit for my ique 3600. after talking with Garmin, they confirmed the 12volt to ique 4.5 volt conversion take place in the cradle not in the cigarette lighter. So basically I can cut of the cigarette lighter end, attach a bmw plug end and I am good to go.

There are 5 wires

18 guage red

18 guage black

18 guage bare

then in an insulated rap there is two more wires,

18 guage white

18 guage black

my guess is the two wires in the insulated cover are for the sound.

the red and black are the power

I am assuming the bare wire is some sort of ground.

assuming all I need is power (the ique has an audio jack that I can plug into my auto comm) I am guessing i can attach the red and black to the bmw plug and I will standard 12 volt power going into the cradle.

based upon this description, any suggestions that I might be on the right track or not????

ok, it would seem the unshielded red and black are the 12 volt connections. the white and black wires wrapped in the shielded foil appear to be the voice wires. So just wondering where the bare wire should be grounded. in the BMW plug there is only two connections, one for the ground and one for the power.

I have the same unit and would love to rid of all the messy wire. If you've disassembled the plug, can't you trace to the speaker to determine the sound wires, and use a volt meter to find GND and +12v?

How do you mount the iQue unit?

Please share your finding.

Thanks!

view-2.jpg

there are a lot of choices for the Ique.

the easiest, buy any car power cable, they run 5.00 on ebay, and go to any radio shack and get a male/male stereo mini connector. get a bmw to cigarette adaptor, connect the mini plug connector into the ique headphone jack and into your autocomm music in lead and you are done. Load a couple hundered songs on your ique, set your destination and away you go.

however i wanted a little cleaner power source. I could have installed a cigarette receptacle in my tank bag and that would have been decent. But then I still have the bulky power supply.

So I purchased a used car cradle off e-bay for 36.00 delivered. What is cool about the car cradle is the power conversion from 12V to the ique 5.5 volt, is done in the cradle and NOT in the cigarette plug. So just cut the wire, attach a bmw plug, and plug it into the OEM dash receptacle and you are good to go.

however I wanted an even cleaner look. So I asked sean daley of accessoriesworkshop.com to wire up one of his military spec connectors. These things handle power and voice, so now I have installed a sean daley receptacle in my bag, attached the plug onto the car cradle, and I just plug the two items together when I am ready to ride, and I have music, voice commands, and power all in one connection. In addition as Sean's site notes, I just add other receptacles, one in my car, one on Cathy's FJR etc, and it can be moved from vehicle to vehicle.

I have the cycle gadgets mount, it was great, and I used the car power source and a stereo plug into my autocomm for many a trip up to Knoxville and back. works fine. I just found it cluttered and wanted a cleaner look. Plus i wanted the interchangeability. I also have my roady 3 wired up to these plugs, so if i want to listen to the radio instead of MP3 I just unplug the GPS, and plug in the roady. As they are all wired the same they are interchangeable.

Sean is just finishing up the wiring and I expect to get the receptacles and plugs very soon. As soon as I have them installed and tested I will take pics and complete a write up.

I commute every day on my bike, and for the most part, I just drop the Ique in the cradle, turn the mp3 player on and ride to work. Once at work, it is just a PDA. At home on the weekends, I use it as my yellow pages. I bet it runs 85% accurate in finding all the local business around me.

The only thing I have not really played with is routes. I talked to Garmin, and my unit is only 9 months old, but it still is the old version of software. So I was instructed by Garmin to upgrade the operating system, and routes work much better. Just have not had time to do that.

Mister_Richard

"So I purchased a used car cradle off e-bay for 36.00 delivered. What is cool about the car cradle is the power conversion from 12V to the ique 5.5 volt, is done in the cradle and NOT in the cigarette plug. So just cut the wire, attach a bmw plug, and plug it into the OEM dash receptacle and you are good to go.

Randy,

I found your post really interesting but I curious what cradle you have. I have the Garmin car cradle that has a speaker in the cigarette lighter plug. I belive there is only one kind available.

Here's the problem though, the voltage is NOT dropped to 5 volts in the cradle, it's in the cigarette lighter plug. I had mine apart to install on my RT and checked the voltage. The cigarette lighter plug feeds 12 volts to the circuit board which drops it to 5 volts before exiting the board. I also took apart the cradle which has no circuitry except the connections to the pins via a simlple circuit board with no components.

I'll attach pictures below for anyone interested. Thanks for your post.

Richard

550837-Fuji2005_0820_025012AA.JPG.32922e60ed362332e9b905c16da2024e.JPG

Archived