IGNORED

Suggestions on fixing a touring bag mount?

clydes

Recently the front plastic hook on my right side bag (1998 1100RT) broke in half. I am looking for some suggestions as to how I can repair this. Or am I doomed to buy a new bag?

Unfortunately, I do not have the piece that broke off. Otherwise, I think I could fix it with a couple of small aluminum plates, a couple of bolts, and some good old JB Weld. Plates and bolts would compress plastic bits together and the JB Weld would goop it all into a single unit.

Good luck. I have three just like that. Same side. I have thought of grinding the leftover hook off and replacing it with a bent piece of metal. Haven't got that far yet. ooo.gif

If you have to buy a new piece I don't think you have to buy the whole bag. The lid could be re-riveted to a new base, and you could probably use your current lock. If not a new lock keyed to match your existing locks would be a good way to go. A friend of mine had a similar incident with a saddlebag on one of our trips to Cabo San Lucas. We drilled a couple of small holes thru the remaining hook area and wound it tight with some wire we found. It wasn't pretty, but the bag stayed put.

skinny_tom (aka boney)
If you have to buy a new piece I don't think you have to buy the whole bag. The lid could be re-riveted to a new base, and you could probably use your current lock. If not a new lock keyed to match your existing locks would be a good way to go. A friend of mine had a similar incident with a saddlebag on one of our trips to Cabo San Lucas. We drilled a couple of small holes thru the remaining hook area and wound it tight with some wire we found. It wasn't pretty, but the bag stayed put.

New inside halves about about $125 and the lid and lock can be reattached. Your local tech might even do the labor on his lunch break for a pound of Peet's Coffee too.

Archived