IGNORED

Still frustrated by the wind noise & buffeting

Billiam

I put the Laminar Lip on my GT but find that I still have to drop my head to find that quiet zone where the wind doesn't whistle through the helmet or override the headset speakers. I'm 6'2" but my inseam is only 32" so much of my height is in the trunk of my body. Surely someone else has or is experiencing this. What did you do or are you just "putting up with it"???

You'll probably need to get another windshield that is a couple inches higher. If you get one with the "flip" built into the plastic rather than the small laminer lip, it will also help somewhat.

ShovelStrokeEd

This one is simple.

Get the regular windscree from an RS and put it on there. Taller really is a bad solution on a bike like the GT or, for that matter, a KRS. The rider is already too far back from the windscreen which is what gets him into trouble with the buffeting.

The shorter windscreen will be much quieter as the wind will hit you in mid chest. Why anyone would want to put an ugly spinnaker on a sleek bike like a GT is beyond me.

Another factor might well be you jacket. Most wind noise is not from wind going past the helmet but rather wind tumbling around the bottom edges. Quite often, shoulder padding in the jacket, especially if its a little large and dimples in at the shoulder joints, will direct air up under the helmet. I took the pads out of my Joe Rocket Mesh jacket when I had my KRS and it made a world of difference.

Dave McReynolds

I'm really sold on the Cee Bailey +4, but at 5' 11", it just barely gets me out of the wind at full extension. Cee Bailey does make an even taller windshield, +6 I think, but it would really stick up there. Probably if I were 6' 2" and tall in the torso, I might opt for Ed's suggestion and go for a windshield even lower than the stock GT shield, and then look for a really quiet helmet.

Aluminum_Butt

Yep, I bought the CB +6 for my GT. Installed it, took one look, and immediately took it off. Looked VERY strange.

I opted for an Aeroflow Tall Sport. Still looks decent, and does a nice job of throwing the wind over my head. I'm 6'3". You can see the Aeroflow here (site). Aside from the windshield, it also comes with a laminar plate that goes behind the windshield. The airflow is very smooth.

They have a sale going on right now, I think - $50 off??

Quiet helmet is key. One thing I've figured out in this exercise is that the vents in my helmet cause about 75% of the noise. Still not sure what to do, but at least I know.

The rider is already too far back from the windscreen which is what gets him into trouble with the buffeting.

Quite true. And to make matters worse, a lot of folks compound the problem with barbacks dopeslap.gif, putting themselves even farther away. I rather drive a convertible than an RS/GT with some barndoor windscreens I've seen. To each his own, I guess. I always have my stock (tinted) RS screen in low, and although noisy, is plenty tolerable with earplugs; can't stand riding a bike without feeling the wind, even in winter. Have a great weekend ladies and gentlemen.

547428-COBRA07.jpg.dc330986ef021652c462ad1769ad4597.jpg

I put the Z-Tech short screen on mine.

Looks great IMO and the clean air hits me in the chest.

Great for hot weather, so far. Obviously not as good for rain. Cold weather will have to see when it comes.

I much prefer this to the buffeting. I'm about 6'5" with long legs.

The stock RS screen is very good too, it may be my cold weather choice.

Right now I'm not interested in the "barn door" look.

This one is simple.

Get the regular windscree from an RS and put it on there. Taller really is a bad solution on a bike like the GT or, for that matter, a KRS. The rider is already too far back from the windscreen which is what gets him into trouble with the buffeting.

The shorter windscreen will be much quieter as the wind will hit you in mid chest. Why anyone would want to put an ugly spinnaker on a sleek bike like a GT is beyond me.

Another factor might well be you jacket. Most wind noise is not from wind going past the helmet but rather wind tumbling around the bottom edges. Quite often, shoulder padding in the jacket, especially if its a little large and dimples in at the shoulder joints, will direct air up under the helmet. I took the pads out of my Joe Rocket Mesh jacket when I had my KRS and it made a world of difference.

While I don't have KRS , I beleive Ed has hit the nail on the head. I have an R1150RS that was simply terrible for noise and turbulence. Sent away for a 2" taller and 2" wider Cee BAiley's and this did not cure the problem. So I took my stock screen for the RS and cut OFF 2" and got rid of the " flip "..... which actually creates turbulence, and things immediately improved. So I sent my Cee Baileys back and had them cut 5" off and it has completely transformed that bike. Yes, I get clean, non turbulent air to my head and chest, but it is smoother and quieter, and , afterall, this is a motorcycle. And in cooler weather, that same wind pushes my jacket against my Gerbings liner and actually helps keep me warmer....go figure. Think aerodynamics when you want a quieter, non turbulent ride...take a good look at your bike from the side to visualize what the air flow might be and use your old screen to practice cutting down or purchase a used one off the internet...you might be surprised.

ShovelStrokeEd

Actually, the LT suffers from the same thing. At 5'10 I encountered some pretty bad turbulence on my unless I kept the screen in its lowest position. Couldn't take it any more and lopped 3" off the top. Transformed the bike. Actually, my 1100S is the first BMW I have owned with a windscreen that needs no help.

sOUNDS tO mE like you need to dump the high-big sized screen and get INTO the wind and fit some foam ear plugs and get a quiet helmet....or change scooters -- let the bike perform as it was intended to do -- and you conform to IT...rather than all the trouble and expense to have it conform to YOU.

If you'd simply allow the wind to be managed by the scoot - and you give it a real chance to prove it - you'll love this scooter more than anything you've ever ridden. Just get over the hump and get over the fact that you must be in a total bubble of no noise. If you can do that - you'll be amazed at how wonderfully this bike is made and at how well it does what it does. If you continue to stay the course...you'll be somewhat unhappy and not totally fulfilled.

the "shorter" folks get my vote. i have an rt and bought a big cb screen to quiet things down as the stock screen is a noted p.o.c. it does a good job, however, i was recently at the track day associated with the national rally and did not want to use that huge screen so i took the stock shield and cut it to just over the guages. well, it was fine for no buffeting and much cooler with a breeze i hadn't felt in some time. as a bonus, the bike felt like it had 10 extra horsepower. i liked this so much, i am leaving it this way for the rest of the warm weather season. around here, that would be mid-october. try a short shield. best of luck

tom collins

stock shield and cut it to just over the guages

Ditto, my vote for a short screen, especially in summer. I shortened my stock (non-adjustable) screen and that's even too tall for summer, so I removed it completely. I could shorten it further, but it's too upright. Now I'm comtemplating making a really short flat screen basically just to cover the dash area.

MVC-874F.jpg

gezerbike.........trying to follow the maths on your screens.

So, your CB is now LOWER than you cut std one? If so, why didn't you just shorten the stock one another bit, and flog the CB?

...or have I missed something........?

I could have gone back and cut down the stock screen another 1" and saved the larger CeeBaileys for cooler weather but I wnated the extra 2" of width I had with the Cee Baileys....the airflow now is perfectly smooth across my chest and shoulders. With the stock screen 2" narrower, there was a hit of direct air on both the shoulders. And I love the look of the light grey tint that goes quite well with my Titan silver paint. For real cool weather, I've come up with an even better solution....a 98 RT !

Old ShovelstrokeEd is the man. I just installed the RS screen on my GT and no buffeting. I went with it since I could find it for under $100, while the CB, Aero, and Parabellum were all in the $300 range. I have about 400 miles with it so far, and it is quiter with no buffeting.

As an added bonus, the vents on my helmet actually work now - like they are designed to do!!! Also the added wind on the head and shoulders reduces the pressure on my hands so I no longer feel the need for bar risers. My helmet is much quiter, and functions much better. The only draw back is I get more bugs on my helmet now, that used to be on the taller shield. But I can live with that.

Old Ed saves the day again. Thanks Ed.

Archived