IGNORED

Pelican box on R1200RT

Mister_Richard

Mister_Richard

I had a Pelican box setting around in the garage and decided it might work well on my new RT. I have the large BMW top box. But it's too large to use most of the time so I made a mount for the pelican and took some pictures. It hold enough odds and ends that I haven't been using the tank bag.

In case your interested, I posted some pictures.

Richard

547087-Fuji2005_0812_100411AA.JPG.54f52e4f710c9c8f0cb1fa5455062f1e.JPG

Nice job, M.R. I always thought a Pelican case was the perfect inexpensive, tough top box for a bike. And it's just ugly enough to look cool.

How did you attach it? Some kind of quick release mechanism, or do you have to use a 'spanner' to attach and remove? Perhaps you can attach a photo of the attaching mechanism.

Cheers.

Richard:

Great idea! I have a Pelican box I'd like to attach to my new 1200RT. Would you mind a couple of questions?

What material did you use for the mounting plate?

How does the box attach to the plate?

Did you have to drill holes into the box? If so, is it still waterproof?

Thanks!

Mister_Richard

Regarding the mounting, here's what I did:

Used a piece of 7 by 9 inch aluminum about 1/8 inch thick. I had this on my GS at one time.

I drilled 4 holes in the box. The 2 forward holes are for 2 bolts that protrude with rubber around them. They're like line-up pins.

The 2 rear holes are for a U-bolt that attaches the box to the bike. The u-bolts came from a topbox I had on a car.

all that mounts it is the u-bolts which has 2 nuts on the inside of the box making it secure and pretty quick to remove.

I hope the attached picture helps.

Richard

547444-Fuji2005_0812_100611AA.JPG.7b94c7a3d060e4c7fac1339a2b023609.JPG

Archived