IGNORED

Has anyone installed a laminar lip?

jskene

I am looking for a solution to the buffeting I get from my '98 RS with standard windscreen.

I understand that the Laminar Lip http://www.laminarlip.com/ has received good reviews elsewhere, but have seen no postings about this product on this site.

Has anyone tried one of these?

I've used one on an '02 on both the regular and the Comfort screens.

The LL was an improvement from the stock screen, redirecting the air higher instead of right into my eyes. It didn't completely go over my head, but made an improvment in the noise level on long trips.

It seemed to improve the airflow on the comfort screen even more for me.

I'm 5'6" with a 32" inseam, and probably sit lower than most guys. Results probably vary a lot depending on torso length, and where the air hits you using a stock screen.

My experience with both is that the Dual-Lock doesn't hold up at higher speeds, and is even more likely to give up in the combination of high speed and crosswinds. My first Laminar Lip disappeared on a ride home last April, and the second required a duct tape assist in Torrey.

Not that I would ever go really high speeds. Girls don't ride like that. tongue.gif

Installed one on my GT before our trip to Laconia in June. Knocked down the wind noise to a comfortable level.

Had no issues with the 3M locks at speed.

I took it off for a few days after the trip, and did notice a big difference, so it's back on.

What I like about it is with the sheild down I get enough airflow arround the chest area, and with it up the noise and buffeting are reduced on speeds above 50 or 60 MPH.

The GT has the larger sheild, so I can't comment on the results for the short sheild. I've heard that it sorta turns the short sheild into a comfort sheild.

Well worth the money spent IMHO.

Dennis Andress

I had one on my `91 KRS. I'm 6'4" and it took most of the wind pressure off of my shoulders and neck. It worked well enough that I never felt the need to take it off.

I've got one on my GT. It helped push the air up just enough. However, I'm going to go the route that I took on my Triumph Trophy when faced with the same issue. I went with a sport shield and really loved it! Far better than taller and taller, which just didn't work.

I'll keep the stock screen with LL for the cooler weather.

One caution when installing the LL. The plastic material over the sticky part of the mounting tabs can easily scratch the stock screen (ask me how I know). When I ordered the LL, I also asked for the nylon bolts, but have procrastinated installing them and all is fine.

Archived