IGNORED

Big Mak Tankbag Question...1150GS

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

I bought a BMak from a friend, but the crossbar on the GS makes it impossible to mount let alone tilt up. Is there a short mounting bracket for the GS?

I had a BMak on '00 and shortened the bracket, but I also had a Ricky Bar/ProTaper setup that got rid of the stock bar.

I emailed cyclegadgets for an answer but have not heard back.

TIA

Anton Largiader

Yes, there's a short GS mount. I don't see it illustrated on any of the sites, but I can take some measurements.

OK, that was fast. 5" exactly from the center of the fuel cap to the front of the diving board. I don't have my other one (for my RS) here to compare to but based on some rub marks on this diving board (which was installed on the other bracket) I think the standard one is 2" longer. That means the GS tank bag is 2" farther aft than the RS tankbag, relative to the filler cap.

John, apparently there is no perfect solution. This is from Cyclegadgets web site.

"The big GS uses a "hybrid" of the Big Mak system. The R1100R tank rack fits best, but the long handlebars work better with the Explorer bag, typically used on the R1100RT. The cross-bar is somewhat in the way when flipping the bag forward for refueling. By releasing the velcro and sliding the bag back a few inches, the bag can be moved out of the way of the crossbar. It will actually rest on the crossbar while the bag is up, so you don't need to remove the bag completely to fuel up."

You just need to get a 1200GS without a crossbar!

John Ranalletta

Anton,

Thanks. I think that would still require one to loosen the velcro to raise the bag for fueling.

I did shorten one a few years ago, but limited skills, brain cell capacity and tools argues against doing it again.

Anton Largiader
Thanks. I think that would still require one to loosen the velcro to raise the bag for fueling.

It does. We used the tiny bag on the GS and it still wasn't a great solution. I'm not sure it didn't interfere even with the Ricky bars on the bike.

I have had several conversations with the maker of BigMAC, he has said he is working on it. that was four year ago. I returned mine to the store where I bought it. I would love to have one that was designed for my GS, fit and worked as well as the one on my RT. Guess it is not to be.

Archived