IGNORED

Torque wrench

algover

I have a "Micrometer Adjustable Torque Wrench", two, actually, but my problem is with the smaller one. It is intended for smaller torque values and has a 120 - 960 inch pound or 1 - 11 mkg range. Nowhere have I seen specs that specify "inch pounds"!

What are "inch pounds", and how do you convert foot-pounds to inch-pounds? Does anyone know?

Obviously, I haven't used it much. However, since the larger one doesn't do less that 10 foot-pounds, I could make use of the smaller one, if I knew how. dopeslap.gif

TIA,

Paul Mihalka
What are "inch pounds", and how do you convert foot-pounds to inch-pounds? Does anyone know?

I just posted this the other day...

If you have a Palm PDA, download this handy converter...it does it all.

Yet Another Unit Converter

You shouldn't really need a converter to multiply your foot/pounds by 12 to get inch/pounds smile.gif

Global_Rider
You shouldn't really need a converter to multiply your foot/pounds by 12 to get inch/pounds smile.gif

But you will to convert N.m to lbf.ft. or N.m to lbf.in., or any other torque units. All torque specs in the BMW manual are in N.m.

By the way, its lbf.ft. A pound isn't really a unit of force, whereas a Newton is. smile.gif

By the way, its lbf.ft. A pound isn't really a unit of force, whereas a Newton is. smile.gif

<hijack>

That is just one more reason (if we needed any more) why the US should join the rest of the world and switch to metric.

</hijack>

Global_Rider
That is just one more reason (if we needed any more) why the US should join the rest of the world and switch to metric.

Considering that the only other country that hasn't gone metric is some banana republic in Africa. (Source: fastener handbook I have)

Well the UK still uses gallons, miles and MPH. I thought they were metric, or maybe they are in all other aspects. Ahhh, they're slow to change. How long did it take them to make a gasket that doesn't leak? grin.gif

<hijack>

</hijack>

Metric is a crutch for those incapable of handling the complexities of inches, feet, yards, and miles.

But I do like the idea of a metric inch, you know, divided into tenths of an inch instead of all these confusing fractions. Or make all the fractions have a common bottom number, like instead of a half-inch socket you'd pick out a 32/64ths. I know, I know. That's just a way of accomodating the output of a modern school system where children are not taught to reduce fractions any more, but you gotta deal with reality as you find it.

tongue.gifgrin.gif

Pilgrim

Well the UK still uses gallons, miles and MPH. I thought they were metric, or maybe they are in all other aspects. Ahhh, they're slow to change. How long did it take them to make a gasket that doesn't leak? grin.gif

We still use gallons, albeit 20% bigger ones than your, but buy fuel in litres. Milk is sold in either pints or litres depending on the dairy. The EU has forced all food to be sold by the kilogramme. Our coinage is now metric - like yours has always been.

Basically we are changing slowly - too slowly for the young, too fast for the old.

Now to the topic -

Foot-pounds or inch-pounds or newton-metres all relate to a force at a distance. So ten foot-pounds is the torque exerted by a force of one pound at ten feet, or two pounds at five feet, or ten pounds at one foot. Therefore one foot-pound is twelve inch-pounds.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

I was at a bicycling event not long ago and some mechanics were ordering bearings and other parts for overnight delivery. Lots of English measurements. I expressed my surprise and was told that when the specs were tight the measurements were usually English.

I was at a bicycling event not long ago and some mechanics were ordering bearings and other parts for overnight delivery. Lots of English measurements. I expressed my surprise and was told that when the specs were tight the measurements were usually English.

I know that very fine threads tend to be non-metric, such as BSC and BSP (British Standard Cycle and Pipe). Metric fasteners do not go that fine. I guess that bicycles have carried on with inch sizes for other items because of that.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Global_Rider
We still use gallons, albeit 20% bigger ones than your, but buy fuel in litres.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Hi Andy,

No ours are the sale size at 4.546 liters per gallon. I don't live in the US.

And you're correct. I did pay 87.9 pence per liter for gas in London just a few months ago.

Archived