IGNORED

Comparison of communications on bikes

rhaus

I am sorry frown.gifif this has been done a dozen times but I searched for it in the forum and could not find answers. confused.gif

I am trying to decide what audio system I want to install on my R1200RT.

I have been reviewing the T&M system, Tecstar’s Starcomm system and the Autocom. They all are the best according to there web site.

My needs:

1. I want to listen to music on my commute to work.

2. I want to talk to my pillion while taking a cruise.

3. I want to talk to my wife when she is on her bike riding.

My thoughts so far:

The Starcom has what they claim is real world audio and there active microphone sounds nice. They seem to allow all of the inputs I would need. There cost is lower than the Autocom.

The Autocom can be purchased with all of the ports I want but the cost is a bit higher. People seem to have some problems with the VOX and the microphones.

The T&M is a local company (Tucson, Az). They do not appear from what I have read so far to allow all of the inputs that I want. Did not see a price for them or don’t remember it.

My helmet is a Schuberth C2.

Peter Collins

I just pruchased the Baehr Communications System that is configured specificaly for R12RT. "Plugs directly into the radio" It should be here on Monday. I have an AutoCom on my R150RT and have not been entirely pleased. I'll post ease of install and performance sometime late next week.

Baehr is the way to go!

Check

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/545624/an/0/page/0#545624

this out and visit www.baehrusa.com also www.challengermotors.co.nz

--------------------------------------------------------

Hey you older posters, how do I tidy up the thread link above?? blush.gif

TIA

I looked at the comments on the forum you linked and I looked at the company's web site. Everyone seems to be having noise issues and it is very expensive.

What did I not understand? confused.gif

I looked at the comments on the forum you linked and I looked at the company's web site. Everyone seems to be having noise issues and it is very expensive.

What did I not understand? confused.gif

SOME people are having problems tongue.gif . And yes the RT specific units are expensive. How about you cost a basic Verso unit locally and see how you go grin.gif

better than autocom?

greg

Supposedly so. I steered away from them after hearing some bad reviews. I am completely happy with my setup!!

rhaus,

It looks like I seek the same equipment you do, and for the same comm capabilities. I checked out Baehr but found it a bit expensive for my budget. ooo.gif I'm looking at an Autocom Active-7 for economic reasons. The only thing it doesn't have is speakers for traffic during my commute. I don't want to install a radio (I don't have anything right now) AND an Autocom, again for economic reasons. I'm checking it all out right now, so I'll track your thread here and let you know of my progress... thumbsup.gif

Have a good one, Ben

Autocom seems to be very widely used and from all reports works very well.

However, I have the Starcom ... it worked out of the box exactly as expected and has continued to work flawlessly. My bike to bike, passenger intercom, satelite radio and cellphone work great. The overall features and sound quality with the helmet speakers is quite acceptable with good bass for the environment.

I'm not too sure how much "better" the Autocom is to justify the price differential...

I don't know anything about the Starcom. You make it sound like it's a bit cheaper than the Autocom and just as high quality. Is that correct? I'll check online for it to educate myself. What about the "IntaRide" system? Do you know anything about IT?

Ben

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased a Starcom1 and am tickled with it. I haven't yet hooked up the two-way radio to it but plan to this weekend when I ride with my buddy. I am sure it will perform as well as it has with music on my commute and intercom with a passenger. It is so clear and very easy to use. It's also nice that it comes with everything you need to insall it and what you need for the basic uses of your average rider. I only need the two-way cable and I'm good to go. Highly recommend it for the price.

I too use a Starcom 1 and have to say it works a treat smile.giftwo of my riding friends have Intaride set ups and have some problems with them at this time.What swung me to the Starcom was that it had a manual volume (in addition to the automatic)which as i`m a little deaf,enabled me to set up the sound(using a walkman)in the garage before i even set out on the road.I actualy use my starcom with an Intaride radio,no problem there thumbsup.gifIt works fine with my GPS and i will shortly be wiring a rad/cass into it.

Hope this helps in your decision

Del

I have a Starcom unit also; works great. I had 1 bad connection on the passenger headset connection and emailed the manufacturer in the UK (I was told that this was the 1st time that this particular problem had occured in 2 1/2 years of production). Response was quick and efficient.

Rod

Where is a good place to buy a Starcom system?

Straight from the factory ... about 4 miles from where I work. I just pop along - great bloke - very helpful - excellent service .. go for it!

California Sport Touring

Was recomended by Tecstar.

I talked to them they seemed reasonable. I have not bought one yet.

rhaus,

let me know how things go... that kit b option sounds good, where for the same price as kit a (single) you get the second headset included.

I've been toying with the com system idea for a while... this seems to have potential...

eric

California Sport Touring

Was recomended by Tecstar.

I talked to them they seemed reasonable. I have not bought one yet.

rhaus,

let me know how things go... that kit b option sounds good, where for the same price as kit a (single) you get the second headset included.

I've been toying with the com system idea for a while... this seems to have potential...

eric

Maybe I read that wrong... it still costs more... i thought it was adeal, oh well...

Where is a good place to buy a Starcom system?

I purchased my Starcom on Ebay, virtually unused. The guy had a Kit B with a PTT button and I got it, postage included, for $235. It would have been worth the retail price, however, so I would go for it if I was you. http://www.starcom1.com I could post some photos on here of installation if there's interest. Pretty simple, but you know...

Ben

I've been using a Intaride RP1 with good results. I have a mixer ($25.00) that feeds it the V1 and GPS and I switch back and forth between the bike's radio, XM, and Ipod for music. I haven't tried FRS or cell phone but so far the music, V1, GPS and rider to pillion have been great. We both wear flip helmets but with them down we can converse at 90mph (I haven't been faster with passenger) but I can here the audio at any speeds the RT is capable of. It's the first comm system I've had so I can't offer any comparisons but it's priced right. I read that the starcom cuts the music when VOX is activated and blasts it back on. The RP1 cuts the music with VOX and the GPS/V1 input but gradually increases the volume back to where it was. You may want to drop in over at the LT board as a lot of folks there are using the RP1.

Archived