IGNORED

The key to my RT

Whip

New RT12...the key is not easy to get to.....behind the GPS..no room for keychain..I didn't need the key for the HD when traveling....easy to refill tank.....I clipped it to my jacket....any ideas...the spare key is Goofy.....I'm leaving for Banff on Sunday...maybe I should get another key made....

Spare key? What spare key? I received only one key with my 12RT!

Your supposed to get two keys with the new RT. One is a high quality metal key and the other (spare) is made of some kind of plastic. Call your dealer and tell him he owes you a key. bncry.gif

Spare key? What spare key? I received only one key with my 12RT!

Your supposed to get two keys with the new RT. One is a high quality metal key and the other (spare) is made of some kind of plastic. Call your dealer and tell him he owes you a key. bncry.gif

What? He gave him one key and you only got two keys? Are they trying to save money or somethin? Geesh, we got at least 3 keys with the 1150RT and 1200KRS and I think we even got 2 or 3 with the 2000 R1150R at the time.

Paul Mihalka

Key supply varies by type of bike and when the bike was built. On previous generation bikes, up to R1150 and K1200RS/GT/LT, You got at least 2 rubber-head keys and one tiny metal key. On bikes with factory saddlebags like RT/LT/GT you got several small keys because there is one key in every lock cylinder when shipped. On new generation bikes like R1200GS/RT/ST they started with two full size metal keys and one plastic key. Recently BMW cut it back to one metal and one plastic key. Cheap bastxxds! I sell BMW bikes. I think they would damage their reputation and business much less if they would increase the prices by a hundred bucks than by eliminating spare keys and tool kits.

would damage their reputation and business much less if they would increase the prices by a hundred bucks than by eliminating spare keys

$100 bucks for a key??? That sounds like government accounting!!! thumbsup.gif

Paul Mihalka

R1150RT bikes got 6 keys because of the way the locks come. R1200RT bikes get 2 metal and one plastic key if older stock, and only one and one if newer stock.

I got one metal and one plastic key with the 1200RT. I wrote a rather to the point letter to BMW Canada about this "problem" as I see it. While BMW Canada never took the time to write or call me, they did call my dealer and ask them to warranty an extra metal key.

So, take some time and write to BMW USA/BMW Canada about your key "problem". The more response they get from us paying customers, the sooner they will go back to providing keys and tool kits for all models.

I just wonder.....if they can't afford to give us spare keys and tool kits, what other corners are being cut to save $$. Cheap bearings in transmissions and final drives??

Cheap bastxxds! I sell BMW bikes. I think they would damage their reputation and business much less if they would increase the prices by a hundred bucks than by eliminating spare keys and tool kits.

I Agree... They are hurting their reputation by becoming cheap-skates...

I Agree... They are hurting their reputation by becoming cheap-skates...

I for one, wasn't pleased to get just 1 metal key with my $17k bike. I've never purchased a bike with fewer than 2 keys. Even my matching locksets(which took more than 2 months on order) didn't come with any keys. Very cheap of BMW!

The plastic key will start the bike and allow you to use it as normal. If you want extra metal keys, they have to be ordered from BMW using the VIN. They are quite expensive - I think around $60/each for spare metal keys. I ordered an exta, because I tend to lose things, but then, I can't ever remember losing a key to a motorcycle.

With the older system cases, the spare keys came in handy so you could remove the bags with the spare keys. That is not as important with the new style bags.

Also, the manual says if you have two keys, don't have them both on the bike at the same time. Apparently, this can confuse the bike. I keep the spare in the topcase on my wife's bike.

Archived