IGNORED

Do you use your Tire Changer for your car?

EddyQ

I'm considering buying a tire changer and doing my own tires. I've read many posts of the pros and cons. I'm considering either the cheap HF rig (with mods)or a used Coats 220. I'm currently torn between cost and quality. I'm not a >10Kmi per year rider, so its use might not be as high as most of you. With that factor, cost route (HF rig) might win.

My question is, can the 220 work nicely for car tires?? Is there an issue with static balancing a car tire?? If I can use it for my two cars, the added cost for a quality COATS 220 might work out.

Ed -

Your right... I blew it. the Harbor Freight MANUAL is multi purpose WITH attachements.

I'm used to pnematic changers and jumped the gun on this one.

Sorry :P

Motorcycle and auto tire changing units are completely different.

There is no one "do-it-all" machine. So no free lunch. :(

Not true,,I just mounted a set of tires for my Dune Bugggy today, on my NoMar Works great :thumbsup: ,

My car tires cost less than my motorcycle tires, last five times the miles, and for twenty bucks they mount them. I don't mess with them.

Your right... I blew it. the Harbor Freight MANUAL is multi purpose WITH attachements.

I'm used to pnematic changers and jumped the gun on this one.

Sorry :P

Your lucky, cant seem to get the motorcycle tyre changing attachment in the Uk as we have no supplier like harbour frieght, can get the car wheelchanger base though, just not the attachment, any one able to post me one, only joking as i know it would be not worth the hassle posting.

I don't use mine for the auto tires, mainly because I have a HD pickup truck with tires that are pretty darn big and heavy.

I'd guess that it would be pretty easy, though. I was surprised to find how much more difficult it was to change tires on the dirt bike than street tires on my Tuono or GS. It seems like the bigger the tire, the easier it is. Until you can't lift it. :grin:

Have you looked at the NoMar? I'm thrilled with mine.

I consider a NoMar a quality rig as the Coats 220. The cost for both new are out of reach for me. There seems to be quite a number of Coats rigs on e-bay and craigslist for under $500. So far, not many folks are selling there NoMar.

I agree, the savings by doing a car tire is likly very small relative to the savings with the bike. But, it might turn out to be a bonus. I'm concerned if I could static balance a car tire?? I've never riden a car/truck wheel that hasn't been spun balanced.

No.

For the bikes, I just got the big blue chisel looking wedge from MotionPro to break the bead and a set of three irons. I put the motorcycle wheel on the work bench and wrestle with it for fifteen minutes. I don't see the need to buy a machine to do it, it's not that hard.

When I had my '98 1 ton Ford F350 Van,I changed all the tires on my Coats 220. Then I had a local guy balance the tires for $5.00 a piece.

Actually,I found auto tires much easier to change than some 'cycle tires!

Thanks Rich. Seems HF, COATS 220 and NoMar changers changers will replace car tires. But, balancing a car tire might be something for the Pros.

I found this Linky for doing it really cheap. The re-mount looks like the tough part. I guess that is the case with a changer also.

Ed, I have the HF unit and Mitch's mojo bar. A couple months ago I changed some 15" truck tires and it was really easy. Balancing, though, is something I paid to have done.

I won't hesitate in the future to order tires online and mount them myself, provided the price difference, after balancing, is significant enough to warrant the hassle. It often isn't!

For bike tires, with the Marc Parnes balancer, it's a no brainer start-to-finish. The setup has paid for itself many times over in a very short time. And nobody scratches my damn rims anymore!

Archived