IGNORED

1200rt Front rotor wear

Cessna172

I love my 2006rt that I bought new. I do most of the maintanence myself. However I do swing it by the dealer every 6 thousand for a check up on computer codes and any work I haven't done. At the 12K check up to my suprise the front rotors are worn to minimum. I do use it year round in Seattle for commuting to work- lots of stop and go at times. However at the price of these rotors (BMW)$265 apiece plus pads it seems kinda pricey every 2 years or 12000miles.

the stock disks are 4.5mm new mine are at 4mm wear limit half a mil doesn't give you much to work with! My original tires still have 50% tread. My questions are these. Has anyone else had this kind of rotor wear and has and has anyond else used the EBC rotors and gotten better results-thanks

First, welcome to the forum! I like your pick of forum names! :thumbsup:

As for the rotors, I assume they are a wear item so not covered under warranty. Hang in there, they'll probably warp pretty soon and then you'll get some free new rotors! :eek:

Cessna172, I would get a second opinion.. At your mileage,, still original brake pads,, still original tires I am having a difficult time believing your rotors are worn anywhere near minimum thickness..

If the rotors are not all scored & ridged & if they look like new I would have serious doubts you have worn rotors..

I ride in a lot of mud & dirt & never wear a rotor in your kind of mileage range..

Even if they are worn they are still OK for a while as they are at min. not below it.. You have some time to find a decent price on new or aftermarket..

For that kind of money it might pay you to buy an inexpensive 0-25mm (0-1”) micrometer so you can measure them yourself..

Twisty

Cessna172, I would get a second opinion.. At your mileage,, still original brake pads,, still original tires I am having a difficult time believing your rotors are worn anywhere near minimum thickness..

If the rotors are not all scored & ridged & if they look like new I would have serious doubts you have worn rotors..

I ride in a lot of mud & dirt & never wear a rotor in your kind of mileage range..

Even if they are worn they are still OK for a while as they are at min. not below it.. You have some time to find a decent price on new or aftermarket..

For that kind of money it might pay you to buy an inexpensive 0-25mm (0-1”) micrometer so you can measure them yourself..

Twisty

I agree. I just went out to the garage and measured my rotors on BOTH 2007 R12RT's with 17K miles on them. They both measure around 4.7mm assuming my digital micrometer is right, so I'm wondering if they have a bum micrometer..?

There's no way your rotors are at minimum thickness at 12k unless BMW put rotors on that were at minimum thickness. Twist is right, get a second opinion. Funny that you post this now. I need to check mine. My RT is at 71k and I've yet to check them. I hope mine are not too thin.

Thanks guys for the replies. I liked the 71 thousand maybe I'll check mine reply!! yeah I'm going to put a few more klics on the rotors, I measured them and sure enough they are 0.1 mm over minimum, but they look good smooth no ruts or cracks. So maybe I'll go for a hard ride up Mt Rainier and warp em on the way down! and get em replaced! Just kinda odd without riding the brakes or anything....

You like that eh? I finally got myself a micrometer and checked my front rotors. They are at 4.2 mm. The manual says the max is 4.5 and minimum is 4. That's 60% wear at 71 thousand+. At that rate they'll need changing around the 110k mark. The rear disk thickness is at 4.6 mm. Max is 5mm and minimum is 4.5 so it's wearing a bit faster than the front. I need to start thinking about acquiring a new rear rotor in the not too distant future.

The rotors on my 05 1200GS were below limit by 18K. I was on a cross country trip and stopped in Orange County, California to have the 18K service done and get some new tires. While I was there, I thought what the hell, do the final drive and brakes while your're at, I have another 6K miles on this trip.

I got a call later in the day saying that brake pads were at 40% front and 60% rear, but that my rotors were under spec and they asked what I wanted to do about it. I said, why it's under warranty of course, fix it! Oops! was their reply. This isn't warranty.

WHAT??? Are you telling me BMW designs the rotors to wear out before the brake pads? He didn't have an answer to that one. I told him that it MUST BE a mechanical failure, not wear and tear, if the parts designed to wear out (brake pads) last longer than the parts designed to last 40+K...

Anywhoo, I told them to forget it, and picked up my bike. When I talked to the dealer back home, he said that yes, they would most likely get them in under warranty and not to worry about it.

After this incident, I came to realize that the relationship you have with your home dealer is very important.

I imagine if I had been from Orange County, they might have fought to get my rotors replaced under warranty, but since I was riding cross-country, they didn't feel that I would give them much return business for the effort. My home dealer took care of it for me.

One of those live and learn lessons...h

I have an 05 R1200ST. The front rotors were replaced twice under warranty. I was told that there were some factory defective wheels that had gotten out. These were causing some premature wear on some of the rotors. Don't know if its true or not. I do know that I replaced my wheels both front and rear and my front rotors are still fine at 97K. The wheels were replaced at approximately 62K.

Archived