IGNORED

Front brakes on K1100LT

Bud

Just got the bike with 63,xxx miles on it. Both front rotors are loose. Both side to side and rotationally. All of the buttons and clips are there.

It seems to me that they shouldn't rattle but they do.

Is this "normal"? I was thinking yesterday as I was riding that when I apply the front brake, the rotational play is causing a lot of wear. Am I thinking correctly?

I also noticed that the rotor has twice as many cut outs for the buttons than are used. Is this so it can be re-mounted using fresh cutouts?

Are the buttons softer and therefore wear out before the rotor?

Lots of questions. I hope someone has some answers.

Don't have a book yet to look all of this stuff up. Plan on getting one next week.

Thanks in advance for all advice.

Howdy Bud,

You have a pretty normal condition really The buttons are designed to wear out faster than the rotors. There has been some debate as to how much play is too much. A little to side to side is OK, but too much forward and back, i.e. towards the front of the bike and back of the bike. Buttons are easy to replace and can be done without taking the front wheel off. All it takes is something to pry the clips loose, and pry the new buttons and clips back in. There will be two types, so make sure you put the same type clip in that came out! Should take under an hour.

In the mean time, don't worry about it.

Is this "normal"? I was thinking yesterday as I was riding that when I apply the front brake, the rotational play is causing a lot of wear. Am I thinking correctly?

Yep, it's normal after about 60K miles. I've replaced mine twice on my '93 K11LT. See this article:

]http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech/floating-disk-rollers.shtml

I also noticed that the rotor has twice as many cut outs for the buttons than are used. Is this so it can be re-mounted using fresh cutouts?

Nope, you have to use the same holes with the new bobbins. See my tip here:

]http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech/floating-disk-rollers3.shtml

Are the buttons softer and therefore wear out before the rotor?

Yes, the bobbins (rollers?) are soft but so is the carrier. The carrier wears but the rotor itself will look like new. The reason for shifting the spring-bobbins one hole left or right is to prevent the wear pattern in the cariers.

Don't have a book yet to look all of this stuff up. Plan on getting one next week.

You can download one here:

]http://bmw.k100rs.free.fr/files/repair_manuals/BMW%20K1100LT%20K1100RS%20-%20ENG.pdf

Thanks in advance for all advice.

That sure looks like an Astral Blue Metallic K-bike ya got there. smile.gif Best color they ever made!!

Mick

Paul Mihalka

Not brake related but a tip for a new K1100LT owner. If you feel that the front suspension is too soft and bouncy, there is a easy solution. The K1100LT (and K1200RS) have a very special front fork, I think made by Ceriani. All the compression damping is in the left leg and all the rebound damping is in the right leg. You want a good ride but no bounce. After some experimenting I put 15 weight fork oil in the right leg for better control, but 7.5 weight in the left for good ride. Just remember, Right for Rebound. It worked great.

Thanks you Old Fart for the tip on the difference between the two forks. The left fork is leaking oil and I have ordered a seal and dust cover. Thinking it's not hard to replace.

You guys are great.

Archived