IGNORED

How old are our tires?

kiwiaudio

Interesting story. It was well-done overall, but they should have reminded us to keep our tires properly inflated. Americans don't check tire pressures very often. I wonder if underinflation might have played a role in the failure of some of the tires in the story (how would you know? - the tire is destroyed). Nevertheless, compared to a freshly-minted one, I suspect that a geriatric tire is more prone to fail from the heat buildup that occurs when underinflated.

I always check the manufacturing date on my tires. I have found that if I buy car tires from major suppliers like the Tire Rack, I tend to get fresher ones than I do from the local stores.

Thanks for the link.

Jay

Just curious how much effect keeping tires out of sunlight affects their aging. I.E. if a vehicle is always garaged vs. parked in the sun, and also cars in the sun in Phoenix vs. Portland, OR with the related temperature differences.

You are right on with the tire pressure angle Jay. Americans are notorious for ignoring this. There are a few flaws/observations I've noticed after veiwing it a few times.

The video in fact had a lot of footage from the recent Firestone/Ford story. Look again and you'll see an abundance of Ford Explorers. Also the tread lying on the freeway is a Bandag cold process retread off a Semi! They come off all the time.

CoarsegoldKid
Just curious how much effect keeping tires out of sunlight affects their aging. I.E. if a vehicle is always garaged vs. parked in the sun, and also cars in the sun in Phoenix vs. Portland, OR with the related temperature differences.

I'm sure it makes a difference when the tire is dried out by the sun.

:wave:

Archived