IGNORED

Pilot Road 2 vs. Pilot Road 2B?

Sailorlite

The Michelin website recommends the PR2B rather than the plain PR2 as the R1200RT's rear tire. Checking the usual internet tire vendors I can't find the B version. Is this something I need to worry about? I haven't seen this question before and am hoping the plain PR2 is fine.

The B fitment is for heavier loads, and is recommended for the r1200rt and FJR I think. I've run two sets of PR2, one with the B on the rear, one with the regular one. There is definitely more life in the B. That said, I've seen about a $50 premium for the B. SW Moto has the B, but not in their normal online sport tire area. It is in their closeout area. They said it's not a closeout, but is there until they can get it in the 'right' place.

There is definitely more life in the B...

How so? It sounds like the B fitment may have a more robust construction to handle heavier loads, but unless the tread compound is different, then I would expect it to wear at the same rate as the same as the non-B version.

Jay

There is definitely more life in the B...

How so? It sounds like the B fitment may have a more robust construction to handle heavier loads, but unless the tread compound is different, then I would expect it to wear at the same rate as the same as the non-B version.

Jay

I was told the compound is different. It is specifically designed to wear longer on heavier bikes. This has been my observation on the set I ran. Without the B the tire squared off in the middle. With the B there is a bit of a ridge in the center as the sides have worn faster. Yes, this could be accounted for based on different riding during the time the tires on, but I can't recall any major differences. And, the non B rear was ready to replace at 6k, the B rear has significant life left at 7k. ymmv

I was told the compound is different. It is specifically designed to wear longer on heavier bikes.

I didn't know that. This might make sway me to ask for the PR2B version. I get tired of planning for yet another tire change, and this might stretch the times between that chore out a little longer.

Thanks,

Jay

• 3 weeks later...

I gave Michelin a call today to see if they had any additional information on the "B" fitment. I was told this is for carrying a passenger/heavy load. I guess for me, I will continue to use the non "B" fitment as I usually am riding solo (160 lb. rider) and if loaded have about 50-75 lb. of extra camping gear.

This is what it says about the PR2 "B" spec rear tire in the Michelin catalogue on their Cdn website: Pilot® Road 2B rear tire specially designed for loaded touring or two-up riding

I gave Michelin a call today to see if they had any additional information on the "B" fitment. I was told this is for carrying a passenger/heavy load. I guess for me, I will continue to use the non "B" fitment as I usually am riding solo (160 lb. rider) and if loaded have about 50-75 lb. of extra camping gear.

Some of us, like myself at 300lbs, are two up all the time!

Archived