IGNORED

May need a lawyer in Florida !

Francois_Dumas

Francois_Dumas

Hi all,

nothing to do with motorcycles, but I fear that my niece Carmen has fallen into a trap of smart people and may need a lawyer in future.

She 'invested' all her savings in some 'movie company' and was promised a share of the profits of the movie produced. It should have been ready in 2007 (we actually met with the guy when we were there and I didn't trust him then). There is no movie, not even started shooting any.

So to me it looks like a scam, but I am too far a way to help her.

Anybody here who knows a reliable lawyer that might be called upon for help if need be ??

Hi all,

nothing to do with motorcycles, but I fear that my niece Carmen has fallen into a trap of smart people and may need a lawyer in future.

She 'invested' all her savings in some 'movie company' and was promised a share of the profits of the movie produced. It should have been ready in 2007 (we actually met with the guy when we were there and I didn't trust him then). There is no movie, not even started shooting any.

Anybody here who knows a reliable lawyer that might be called upon for help if need be ??

Tell her to have the State Attorney general to look at her case. Maybe a fraudulent act? In any case an investigator can be assigned to determine that. In the alternative, many pro bono cases are assigned through the State Bar of Florida or the county she lives in. Often times a consultation and referral is gratis to see what can be done.

Good luck, Dave

Hi all,

Depending on how much her savings amounted to, it may be a painful lesson in not putting all your eggs in one basket. Lawyers do not work cheap, and con artists are slippery, cunning people with equally nasty lawyers. By all means, contact the AG in Florida, but get her ready for the permanent loss of her funds.

Francois_Dumas

Yes, I am not very optimistic and told her so. But since the guy lives around there (West Palm Beach I believe) he may not be as slippery as I fear.

You don't need a lawyer, your niece needs to report the incident to law enforcement. Make an appointment with the local district attorney (aka prosecutor) in the consumer fraud unit. They have the knowledge and expertise how to proceed in this matter. There may be other victims as well. It sounds like the movie company was selling securities without a license.

Even after reporting the matter, restitution is highly unlikely.

Costly lesson.

Frqancois, I know that finances are tight for everyone, so if you do come over here again, go to "Play it Again Sports", you can get a very good "Used" bat for a better price that at a sporting goods store. Oh, and get a metal bat, it swings faster and the sound of bat to knee caps is louder and leaves a lasting impression. :rofl:

Just kidding......use a wood bat instead.

Frqancois, I know that finances are tight for everyone, so if you do come over here again, go to "Play it Again Sports", you can get a very good "Used" bat for a better price that at a sporting goods store. Oh, and get a metal bat, it swings faster and the sound of bat to knee caps is louder and leaves a lasting impression. :rofl:

Just kidding......use a wood bat instead.

Paul 'Tanya Harding' Burkett has spoken.

Sorry to hear of this issue Francois.

Seems to me that before everyone here starts yelling fraud, it might be appropriate to know the specific facts of this case. It might just be legitimate!!! Investments, all kinds and particularly movies,, are risky.

Lets see, what is more useless than reporting this type of crime to the procecuting attorney? Answer: not much

I am getting sort of old and once, just once, did reporting a crime get me anything other than aggravation. Be prepared for delayed trials, sitting in court, or the hallway, to testify only to be sent home multiple times, being all but called a liar by the defence attorney, and recovering nothing or maybe 10% of the damages. Even my friends in the police told me on more than one occasion that likely nothing would come of it if I pursued the matter.

Francois, I'm so sorry to hear this. I also went to dinner at this man's house with Carmen and Romeo and didn't like the whole situation either. Do they have anything in writing ? Richard

Francois_Dumas

Thanks all for replying, folks, appreciated. I'll hold off on the baseball bats for a little until I know more details myself ;)

Hi Richard, that's true, you met him too!

Carmen has three contracts. She sent me a copy and I didn't like what I read. But then again, I am not a lawyer, and my English isn't geared towards legalese. I sent a copy to one of the Florida board members to read it for me and give me his opinion.

It may not be a scam, but rather a true venture turned bad, who will tell? Fact is that the guy in charge drives around a big car, goes out dining in expensive places but keeps telling Carmen of delays, other films going first, changes of plans etc., with nothing to show for her investment.

I know it is risky, probably even more so than stock exchange and stuff, and advised her NOT to do it.

But hey, will young people listen ??? :Cool:

I am just trying to figure out what has happened exactly and if she can get her money back. She was told all these years that she might not make a profit, but would always get her investments back. I haven't found that in the contracts though :-(

dOES sHE know if these clowns are still in the area..? Can she still call them or meet with them? If so, get the AttGeneral jumping for you...they love this kinda stuff and putting fakes like these away. Now GO..!

Francois,

Once basic contract is legally executed, and valid, remedies may be limited by the contract provisions.

That does not prevent throwing more money after it through an attorney, but does the other party have a pocket to go after?

(Do they have any money, or just the appearance of money)

If she is competent, signed and executed a binding contract, she may have specific remedies in the contract.

They might not be very good.

If she invested money into a venture and assumed the risk for the investment (not the person or company she invested in), she may be up a creek.

I hope not.

She may need somone who specializes in Contracts, Specific Performance, Breach, Remedies, with regard to this form of investment.

If htere is/was Fraud involved, she may have a remedy, but still not recover her money.

It wouldn't surprise me to see some lame arsk "movie" created to fulfill the obligation and she never sees a penny.

:(

Archived