IGNORED

Extended Warranty Questions

Deek

My 2006 RT has about 20k on it now, and the original warranty will expire in September 2009 (3 yrs). It's a used bike, but the original owner has had it dealer serviced, and I've done the same for the 6k I've owned the bike.

I'm wondering what the thoughts are on Extended Warranties? Normally I don't get them as I tend to trade motorcycles on a regular basis, but I think this RT is going to be a keeper. I'll probably ride for at least another 3-5 yrs and want to keep this bike.

I haven't done any checking yet to determine costs, etc, so I'm asking for suggestions on warranty companies, etc. I plan to continue to have the dealer do all maintenance work short of changing the engine oil and filter which I do myself.

Thanks.

Last September the warranty ran out on my 2005 RT. I contacted Robbi at Bob's BMW and she was able to write an 84 month policy with Zurich for about a grand after discounts. You just have to do it before the original warranty runs out for it to be considered a "new" vehicle. Hope this helps.

In my life time I have only purchased one extended warranty and it was for my 05 RT..Have not needed it yet but glad I have it..I have already had approx. $2000.00 worth of warranty work done on my bike before the BMW warranty expired. Since your dealer does most of your preventive maintenance you should have no problem getting the company to pay claims in the event you need it..I say buy it..

Yeeha! Stephen

I wondered about it too. New to BMW and I worried about the broken bike posts on the Net. Took a chance and bought a 3 year plan.

It payed off at 53k miles when I lost a Final Drive.

That's the only problem I've had with the bike in 116k now. So I came out only a couple of hundred dollars to the good.

At least it was on the good side!

Thanks guys for your results with extended warranty plans. I do intend to get once prior to my 06's basic warranty running out in Sep 09. I have a planned trip to SD/MT area this summer and I'll probably get the extended warranty prior to that.

"....I contacted Robbi at Bob's BMW and she was able to write an 84 month policy with Zurich for about a grand after discounts. ..."

You got this through your BMW dealer, but is it a BMW plan or another company? $1000 sounds pretty good for 84 months! I'm okay with having a $300-$500 deductible if the rest of the policy sounds good.

Anyone know of extended warranty plans to avoid or that seem like a good deal?

Last September the warranty ran out on my 2005 RT. I contacted Robbi at Bob's BMW and she was able to write an 84 month policy with Zurich for about a grand after discounts. You just have to do it before the original warranty runs out for it to be considered a "new" vehicle. Hope this helps.

+1 for Robbi. I did it.

My bike also has about about $1,800 worth of warrenty work done in the first three years.

Here is Robbii's contact information.

robbii.miller @ bobsbmw.com

301-497-8949 x210

301.776.2338 fax

Archived