IGNORED

1200GS Fuel Disconnects

namtinker

Hi guys

Any idea where I can find fuel disconnects in Canada? The Touratech ones looks ideal, gettting them here expensive though!

Paul Mihalka

Talking of fuel disconnects that disconnect the lines when you want to take the tank off, and automatically shut off the lines so no gas is spilled. You can get them as original BMW parts from a BMW dealer, including mail order from USA or England. I don't like them. They can break. BMW parts are plastic. I understand there are some metal ones available that don't break. Wunderlich?

Hi Paul,

I've had my tanks off about 10 times. Never a problem. I think the plastic ones will be fine over time. time will tell. grin.gif

I haven't had my r1200gs tank off yet. Are there quick disconnects on it from the factory, or what?

As Marty said, it's really easy. Mine haven't leaked any yet. One nice advantage is that no tools are required (for the disconnects themselves). The disconnects are right at the junction with the fuel pump/filter assembly. Pop 'em off, swing them out of the way, and remove the tank. It's wonderfully easy. As I recall, it's one bolt on the tank, and four quick tube disconnects. Kind of nice if you ever needed to do it by the side of the road.

David,

One bolt on each side...unless I've been doing something unnecessary, which is always a possibility. dopeslap.gif

Emoto,

Two disconnects on the right/2 hoses to pull off. Just press in the metal tabs and pull away. Twist the black cover on the left and remove. On the left 2 plugs...insert finger nail inside the metal piece in the rear and pull off. One more press disconnect. Do the 2 hex bolts and slide the tank a bit toward the rear and find a place to put it. You did run most of the gas out first?

Any problems, don't call me...call David! grin.gif

One of the things I really enjoy about the GS is how quickly you can get it nekkid. From start to finish, you can get it looking like this in less than 5 minutes. It's a beautiful thing when you need to do work on it:

12naked.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived